Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
They'd have to extend him (or sign someone else) with the sole intent on exposing a G in the ED, though, no?

Pens could trade DeSmith and Legace to Arizona for Raanta and Hill. That way both teams are covered in their goalie exposure requirements as Hill would be an RFA goalie.

Obviously other pieces would need to be included.

CC @Empoleon8771 -- I would leave Raanta unsigned til after the ExpD in this scenario.

Yet another edit: I was thinking Hill was just some 3rd stringer. Coyotes may think higher of him. But they've also just fired their GM... [yet again, an edit] Apparently he was just their assistant GM.

Last edited:

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Thing is, the Penguins(Rutherford) needed to be a lot more aggressive this offseason. Mr. Anything on the table should have moved Jarry, Dumo, and Rust when they had a ton of value this offseason. Reaquire Fleury who had negative value which would give you even more assets. Get back a good amount of picks and prospects then they could have signed a few guys to one year deals or swung a deal of Roslovic.

Made the same mistake with Murray/Fleury. Keep Fleury, Trade Murray for a high 1st+. etc etc.

He needed to make a ballsy move with where we had organization depth(goalie) and trust the tried and true least valueable asset in Fleury.

Read this three times. Can’t tell if you’re serious or a Cultist.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens could trade DeSmith and Legace to Arizona for Raanta and Hill. That way both teams are covered in their goalie exposure requirements as Hill would be an RFA goalie.

Obviously other pieces would need to be included.

CC @Empoleon8771 -- I would leave Raanta unsigned til after the ExpD in this scenario.

Yet another edit: I was thinking Hill was just some 3rd stringer. Coyotes may think higher of him. But they've also just fired their GM... [yet again, an edit] Apparently he was just their assistant GM.

I was going to disagree, then I thought about who else would be exposed if that trade would go through. The Penguins protection list (without any more trades) would likely be Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen, Rust and Blueger at forward, Dumoulin, Letang and Pettersson on D and Jarry in net. That leaves Raanta, Tanev, Matheson, Lafferty, Riikola, Ruhwedel, Jankowski and ZAR as players exposed. Raanta may not be a super attractive piece for Seattle to take, but there really aren't any good choices from that group in the first place.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was going to disagree, then I thought about who else would be exposed if that trade would go through. The Penguins protection list (without any more trades) would likely be Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Kapanen, Rust and Blueger at forward, Dumoulin, Letang and Pettersson on D and Jarry in net. That leaves Raanta, Tanev, Matheson, Lafferty, Riikola, Ruhwedel, Jankowski and ZAR as players exposed. Raanta may not be a super attractive piece for Seattle to take, but there really aren't any good choices from that group in the first place.

Raanta doesn't count as an exposure if he's not signed, meaning Jarry would have to be made available. That's why you acquire Hill who is RFA and counts as an exposure.

I've got a feeling we're talking about different trade scenarios.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Russell? are we rebuilding now? he's shit. Kris for Kris would suck.
He would be in for salary considerations - asked again, told it was 1st (lottery protected) 3rd (cal) this year and 2nd in 2022 was the offer.

Both Russell and Letang would have to waive

Dont know if Hexall would counter-I am assuming he wants another first and/withdrawal of lottery protection.

Howland's a big "value pick" guy so I am assuming a package of a couple more mid round picks would be more palpable then another 1st

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is a 0% chance Letang would ever waive to go to Edmonton, so it's a moot point on speculating what kind of return that would look like.

Also why are the Penguins thinking about selling this year when they don't have their 1st? The fact that they traded their 1st for Zucker is already enough justification to at least let it play out for this year. They get nothing out of being bad this year.

Raanta doesn't count as an exposure if he's not signed, meaning Jarry would have to be made available. That's why you acquire Hill who is RFA and counts as an exposure.

I've got a feeling we're talking about different trade scenarios.

Yeah, I was talking about my scenario where they don't get Hill back. My mistake.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He would be in for salary considerations - asked again, told it was 1st (lottery protected) 3rd (cal) this year and 2nd in 2022 was the offer.

Dont know if Hexall would counter-I am assuming he wants another first and/withdrawal of lottery protection.

Howland's a big "value pick" guy so I am assuming a package of a couple more mid round picks would be more palpable then another 1st

Wont happen but with Klefbom done for the year they probably could squeeze him in and wave bye to Barrie next season and not keep Nuge.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
There is a 0% chance Letang would ever waive to go to Edmonton, so it's a moot point on speculating what kind of return that would look like.

Also why are the Penguins thinking about selling this year when they don't have their 1st? The fact that they traded their 1st for Zucker is already enough justification to at least let it play out for this year. They get nothing out of being bad this year.

Yeah, I was talking about my scenario where they don't get Hill back. My mistake.
Lottery protected

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

assuming waiver, the Pens should do that but only if it’s Barrie...Russel doesn’t drive any offense plus Barrie has the benefit of being a righty and ufa which will allow us more cap space to go in whatever direction we wanted in the offseason

Reactions: ownal

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Our 1st is not lottery protected.

Looks like you’re wrong about the Pens for the 50th time there Mr Mckenzie
I thought it was... I don't pay that much attention to the NHL draft sorry.

We will see what happens I don't really care

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Rutherford tried to trade Malkin on 2 occasions. This came from EDM.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad