Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is making a save against the rules?

No, but playing defense properly isn't, either.

Let's not pretend the goalies are to stop all uncontested players at all times. That's pretty much what you are asking them to do.

This Defense/goaltending divide is just stupid when we all know both are bad, and one really affects the other. Defending the goal is not just the goaltenders job alone. If you just point fingers at one, isolate on that one (singular position) you might as well just walk away and call it a year. Jesus....it's so easy to see, yet people want to just target the end result and not fix what got them in that bad position in the first place.

It's like someone's punching holes in your wall, but you go straight to patching the holes, while he's still punching more.

Madness....

Reactions: MeinerEiner

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t remember too many “bad goals” let in by our goalies this year. Their issue is they’re not making the saves when we break down defensively.

I would say that combined with the reality of being 3rd worst in the league in GA/GP, would suggest we got some issues in structure, lol.

Better goaltending could mask this issue for a period of time, but would not fix it.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even though the goaltending has been poor this year, I'd prefer to focus on areas where we have a large sample size of struggling without extenuating circumstances.

7 games from Jarry and 5 from DeSmith when most of our defense was on the IR may not be the most representative batch of games to draw definitive conclusions from.

Reactions: The Old Master

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Right, once all the D are back, coaching, should be all like, yeah, all that we wanted you guys to do earlier, stop it. Now do this... 4 man box, with the 5th one pressuring the puck at all times. Absolutely nobody comes in our box...NOBODY!...without retribution.

I can't believe we are even talking about goaltending changes....Is playing defense against the rules? Or some sacred covenant you are only allowed to do on Hockey Holidays?

tenor.gif
Is stopping the puck as a goalie against the rules?

Reactions: ncm7772

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is stopping the puck as a goalie against the rules?

No, but playing defense properly isn't, either.

Let's not pretend the goalies are to stop all uncontested players at all times. That's pretty much what you are asking them to do.

This Defense/goaltending divide is just stupid when we all know both are bad, and one really affects the other. Defending the goal is not just the goaltenders job alone. If you just point fingers at one, isolate on that one (singular position) you might as well just walk away and call it a year. Jesus....it's so easy to see, yet people want to just target the end result and not fix what got them in that bad position in the first place.

It's like someone's punching holes in your wall, but you go straight to patching the holes, while he's still punching more.

Madness....

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Heard a rumor Letang to the Oilers for Kris Russell and picks ... take it with a grain of salt. Heard oilers GM is desperate

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Heard a rumor Letang to the Oilers for Kris Russell and picks ... take it with a grain of salt. Heard oilers GM is desperate

wouldnt most of the Canadian clubs (except maybe MTL and TOR) be on Letang’s NTC? Also, that’s a shitty return unless we’re getting a first round pick back...also isn’t Russell a LD and we have an over abundance of those

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Also, I wouldn't expect many more rumors...... supposedly a the ropes are being pulled tight. The Jimmy days of free speech are over

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The problems are many with regards to the defense. It seemed like Rutherford thought that by dumping Justin Schultz, Matt Murray and Jack Johnson, presto our defense and goaltending would get better. But he is an old fool whose time was done after 2017.

The irony is that the forward group is built to help out the defense and goaltending, not to try to outscore our problems. And that may also be an issue.

Just blow this thing up (save for 71 and 87) and let's go.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'd love a Quick for Matheson deal. Quick has a fairly low salary. If neccessary he'd be a lot easier to dump in a year or two than Matheson.

Who's their ECHL goalie?

Can we give Matheson for them?

Or like... Some popcorn?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean if Letang is willing to waive to go to EDM, why not just ask for Tyson Barrie back whose contract is expiring after this season, a first round pick and a prospect? I mean if we’re going to lose Letang’s help generating offense, don’t pick up a D who had 9 assists all of last year and is signed for another year...dumb trade...hopefully Hextall nixes that one

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Burke: “worst thing you can do is come in with assumptions and try to change everything immediately”

Two days later: Kris Letang cap dump

Doubt it man.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can people please stop discussing Letang for Russell before my brain tells my skull he's going out for smokes and never comes back?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
ahhhh no....

More likely

Letang

for

Russell, 1st, 2nd, couple other lower picks next year.

This isn't NHL 2021 haha

Then desperate has a different meaning.

Why wait.... Letang for a 1st, 2nd, and other lower picks is just plain stupid.

What I posted is a hockey trade considering a GM is desperate right now trying to do a trade for a top 15/20 defender in the league.

Next year he'll only have a season left diminishing his value to that for sure.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Letang goes to Edmonton...we get f***ed unless we get a monster return, which the rumour doesn't seem likely and that Oilers offence goes nuts...Letang is frustrating but having him do breakouts to McJesus and Drai is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad