Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That is horrifically bad. Worse than if you just traded Letang for a first.

Not at all.

You get the main pieces back in 1st 2021, Puljujarvi - 4th overall 2016 and our 6th back in 2021.

That's essentially 2 firsts back.

A defender and vet goaltender for the rest of the season.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Not at all.

You get the main pieces back in 1st 2021, Puljujarvi - 4th overall 2016 and our 6th back in 2021.

Puljujarvi is not playing at 4th overall caliber, soo no its not 2 firsts

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not at all.

Yea a bust of a first round pick. Great. Lol

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Also Edmonton can’t afford Letang for Russell and picks. They are capped out.

Last edited:

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I know there was the impression Sid and Geno could help turn Puls around, but these guys can barley get themselves going with established players, so personally I'd pass on that

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don’t get the feeling the rumor is the pens offered this but it’s the oilers who did/are? I doubt Hextall put Letang out there immediately without watching the guys play any games.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The problems are many with regards to the defense. It seemed like Rutherford thought that by dumping Justin Schultz, Matt Murray and Jack Johnson, presto our defense and goaltending would get better. But he is an old fool whose time was done after 2017.
if we didn't have 5 defensemen out the old fool would of been right.:laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think if you're trading Letang, you'd expect more than a prayer. That's just my opinion, if we get him and he tears it up, I will admit stupidity, but right now I don't think its smart

That's fair, plus with how things are looking, the end might more near than we thought.

There certainly could be better fits put in there for our end, maybe just 2 1sts straight up with fillers for that package, but it's meaningless if this is an offseason trade with only one season of Letang on the books.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Letang goes to Edmonton...we get f***ed unless we get a monster return, which the rumour doesn't seem likely and that Oilers offence goes nuts...Letang is frustrating but having him do breakouts to McJesus and Drai is crazy

Actually, they'll still score at their normal rate and they'll all still be on an island. Letang isn't going to fix there situation. They over extend the top 3 as it is. That's just to stay afloat.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
D healthy and playing their roles will improve the team. But the emergence of POJ should allow a deal to be made. I prefer Petts to move for a decent forward or good prospect/pick. Save the 4 million in cap space and get Matheson playing and becoming better in the system. He does have the skill set to be better. I also hope Dumo can return to near his peak form as well. No question they need Hamilton to take Letangs place next year. For now:
Letang Dumo
Marino Matheson
POJ Ceci
Ruhwedel Riikola

Dumo looked like hot garbage after coming back from injury, and the beginning of this season was no better. I hate to say it but I wonder if he never makes it back to where he was. He's a good soldier, one of the last vets from the two cups believe it or not, but he isn't someone I show the same loyalty to as Crosby, Malkin, Letang. On the other hand, Pettersson was the only D doing well until he got assassinated at center ice. I'm hoping to see him slide back into the lineup and pick up where he left off. If that happens, i think Dumo is the trade piece. In name and experience alone he should fetch a nice return, a F to help us now or picks to replace the empty cupboard.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trade Dumoulin and McCann for assets. As well as Sceviour, Erod, Lafferty, and Jankowski, but I don't think they'd get you much.
Once again we are on the same page. Dumo and McCann would be the first two to go that might have any value whatsoever. The problem is Dumo is injured. So, I'm not sure what team would want him in that case. At least anytime soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Letang would never waive to go to Edmonton so I think it's a moot point on the discussion.

I think you only move Letang if you have a contract lined up with Dougie Hamilton or if you're tearing it down completely.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Elliotte Friedman said today that Pittsburgh has always intended on Crosby, Malkin, Letang retiring as Penguins. He also said they don't plan on making major moves until they see how this season plays out. All discussion about trading any of the above can be put on hold for now IMO.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Heard a rumor Letang to the Oilers for Kris Russell and picks ... take it with a grain of salt. Heard oilers GM is desperate

I live in Edmonton and there have been many Letang to Edmonton rumours for a few weeks now on talk radio. One even included Klefbom.

If Ken Holland is desperate, Hextall should be looking into taking advantage of that. Perhaps selling him on Matheson's puck moving abilities. He should also see if GMKH is interested in a slightly used, signed for another two years, two time Cup Champion Brian Dumoulin.

Pens would then have to take on salary/cap for this year.

Funny that the Oilers could use Marino right now, though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I live in Edmonton and there have been many Letang to Edmonton rumours for a few weeks now on talk radio. One even included Klefbom.

He's a LD, though. On LTIR.

I'd want to fleece them as well. They are the desperate ones. I'd want a RD back plus more. If it has to expand out further to make it feel like both parties are comfortable I'm fine with that, too.

LD seems full.

Reactions: Borgir

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
If Ken Holland is desperate, Hextall should be looking into taking advantage of that. Perhaps selling him on Matheson's puck moving abilities. He should also see if GMKH is interested in a slightly used, signed for another two years, two time Cup Champion Brian Dumoulin.

Pens would then have to take on salary/cap for this year.

Funny that the Oilers could use Marino right now, though.

Larrson incoming,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->