Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There is word that he could be retiring too. It's just a contract off the books and the ability to hide that contract. I guess I could see the appeal but the point in all moot.

Larrson incoming,

Dumoulin + Matheson for RNH + Larrson/Klefbom (+whatever else from each side to make the caps work)

From what I recall, Matheson can/has played on both side of the ice.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Borgir

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Thing is, the Penguins(Rutherford) needed to be a lot more aggressive this offseason. Mr. Anything on the table should have moved Jarry, Dumo, and Rust when they had a ton of value this offseason. Reaquire Fleury who had negative value which would give you even more assets. Get back a good amount of picks and prospects then they could have signed a few guys to one year deals or swung a deal of Roslovic.

Made the same mistake with Murray/Fleury. Keep Fleury, Trade Murray for a high 1st+. etc etc.

He needed to make a ballsy move with where we had organization depth(goalie) and trust the tried and true least valueable asset in Fleury.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Thing is, the Penguins(Rutherford) needed to be a lot more aggressive this offseason. Mr. Anything on the table should have moved Jarry, Dumo, and Rust when they had a ton of value this offseason. Reaquire Fleury who had negative value which would give you even more assets. Get back a good amount of picks and prospects then they could have signed a few guys to one year deals or swung a deal of Roslovic.

Made the same mistake with Murray/Fleury. Keep Fleury, Trade Murray for a high 1st+. etc etc.

He needed to make a ballsy move with where we had organization depth(goalie) and trust the tried and true least valueable asset in Fleury.

Roughly translated “Fleury is my guy and I want him back/never wanted him to leave” even though it was absolutely the right move. You talk about how we had goaltending depth and then you talk about dismantling that depth by trading both younger cheaper guys just to keep the older more expensive guy

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Everyone is so knee jerk trading these guys... honestly I would not make another damn move until you know if sully lost the room or not...
let them play. There is more than enough proven talent on this team to compete...
if they go another week or two of complete trash play with horrible defensive support and lazy plays then fire sully and replace him with a new guy...

Everyone wants to either sell low on players or spend assets to bring in meh vets... thats just stupid and reactionary trading...

the only trades they should be looking at are cheap buy low types... its the same thing many of us said in 16 when the screaming to trade malkin, Letang and even crosby hit it’s peak... the core is at its tail end of its prime, but it hasn’t aged out yet... and even then super elite players are effective for years past their prime... guys like Zucker and jake are elite scorers, they didn’t lose that talent overnight....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

The 3 players you mentionned can still be moved, I don't think Jarry will be traded but if something comes up, I'm sure Hextall would pull the trigger

Very easy the game you're playing now with Murray, 5 years later. You don't make that easy of a decision when the guy just wins you back to back Cups!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Moving on from Fleury and keeping Murray was objectively the right decision, even in hindsight.

Even if you only look at it at what they had done since that decision, which is a really bad way to evaluate trades, it was still the right decision because keeping Fleury would have had dramatic cap consequences. That extra $3.25 million or so between Murray and Fleury had to come from somewhere. Considering how goaltending wasn't even the reason they lost in the playoffs in the last 3 years (Murray was mediocre in the playoffs in each series IMO, not great but not bad), you're spending cap space that they didn't even have available on an upgrade you didn't even need to make.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean...younger, cheaper, a huge piece of the B2B and at the time every bit as good if not better.

So yeah it was a no brainer.

Sometimes even the most informed, seemingly airtight and utterly rational decisions just don't work out. That's life. Murray's story is hardly done being written, either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean...younger, cheaper, a huge piece of the B2B and at the time every bit as good if not better.

So yeah it was a no brainer.

JR has made 2 mistakes with goaltending since he made the Fleury decision:

1. Signing Niemi to be Murray's backup in 2017
2. Giving Jarry full reins to the starter's role without bringing in a veteran 1B

Anyone who tries to argue that the Fleury decision was the wrong one is not only playing "captain hindsight", but is also doing a bad job at it :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the best thing to do is see what is what when and if the D is healthy or near that. Jarry has let in a couple bad goals but still until we see the D at near full capacity I don't know if anyone can access how the defense is. But 10 games in and Jarry to me was the right call and no question he has the tool box to be a very good goalie. GMJR an ex goalie and now Hextall know goal tenders. Jarry is the present and future

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta

This comment works on a post game Penguins Facebook thread, not here though.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would be pretty swell for Hextall to swing a deal with Arizona to pick up Raanta. He's been firmly demoted to the backup role to Kuemper and I think Raanta would be a really good 1B (or even a 1A) with Jarry. He's a pending UFA after the year so there isn't some massive commitment, plus I think Arizona retaining salary wouldn't be out of the question to make the money work.

I'd pursue something like McCann and DeSmith for Raanta and Caggiula.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree that Sullivan should be letting Jarry try to play his way out of it, but as it stands he’s still been horrible.
As it stands. He hasn't been completely horrible. He had a 3 game stretch out of the 7 where he was good. Showed he could bounce back but Sullivan benching him for a week at a time does no one any good. The info is there. Acknowledge it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We're not there yet, but I'd be very curious as to what kind of return we could garner from trading guys like Letang, Guentzel and Dumo.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We're not there yet, but I'd be very curious as to what kind of return we could garner from trading guys like Letang, Guentzel and Dumo.

Personally I'd move Zucker before Guentzel but that's me.
but yes, it's time to see what's out there and what the return could look like for us

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Personally I'd move Zucker before Guentzel but that's me.
but yes, it's time to see what's out there and what the return could look like for us
I'd move Zucker before Jake myself. But he has a NTC and is a couple years older. So I'm not sure we would get all that much.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It would be pretty swell for Hextall to swing a deal with Arizona to pick up Raanta. He's been firmly demoted to the backup role to Kuemper and I think Raanta would be a really good 1B (or even a 1A) with Jarry. He's a pending UFA after the year so there isn't some massive commitment, plus I think Arizona retaining salary wouldn't be out of the question to make the money work.

They'd have to extend him (or sign someone else) with the sole intent on exposing a G in the ED, though, no?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Schmaltz and Raanta for Desmith and Matheson.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Yea JR was awful since the cup, but the Fleury/Murray move made sense at the time. I hate JR, but I can’t criticize him for that decision.

With the information available at the time it was 100% the right decision and I think that 95% of this board supported it at the time. Same with the Jarry/Murray situation to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->