OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
1099 means the worker is an independent contractor, not an employee, which means the employer doesn't have to follow employment laws, from what I understand.

Basically. Overtime, vacation, health benefits, retirement plans, etc don’t apply because they’re not an employee, they’re essentially a temporary hire (even if it’s long term). As a result there are no taxes paid on your check, but you still owe the IRS for your income. If you know how to work the system you’re fine but I once owed $1200 because I didn’t know the ins and outs (I made $12k extra freelancing like this last year, on pace for around $10k this year).

For a second source of income it’s fine. As a primary source it sucks, especially when you need benefits. Especially when you’d be given four or five hats and likely working 50-60 hours a week like that spot seems it would have. Unless it’s your own company, like @ObsessedCreative has, it’s not the ideal way to make a living. My wife is all 1099 and she’s having to deal with this, though I have benefits and such to help us.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
My expectation as a working professional is that if I were to take a 1099 position, the salary would have to be greater by a significant magnitude to forgo the other benefits. No medical, retirement, vacation. Also, I'd require hourly pay, not a flat salary. You can be sure DK was requiring more than 40 hrs/week. When you add up lost benefits, vacation, let's say 60 hr/ week, DK is paying peanuts. These people can make a better living doing data entry at any larger company.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My expectation as a working professional is that if I were to take a 1099 position, the salary would have to be greater by a significant magnitude to forgo the other benefits. No medical, retirement, vacation. Also, I'd require hourly pay, not a flat salary. You can be sure DK was requiring more than 40 hrs/week. When you add up lost benefits, vacation, let's say 60 hr/ week, DK is paying peanuts. These people can make a better living doing data entry at any larger company.

To be fair, part of that is because the economics of the news industry are completely broken. The revenue stream needed to pay the people to produce the content just doesn't exist.

Even many of the "successful" digital outlets are funded at a loss by venture capitalists under the expectation that, as local print/tv outlets collapse, the digital enterprises could grow against the vacuum. That business model is also failing. I've been saying this for years, but I'd love to get a look at the Athletic's books.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
To be fair, part of that is because the economics of the news industry are completely broken. The revenue stream needed to pay the people to produce the content just doesn't exist.

Even many of the "successful" digital outlets are funded at a loss by venture capitalists under the expectation that, as local print/tv outlets collapse, the digital enterprises could grow against the vacuum. That business model is also failing. I've been saying this for years, but I'd love to get a look at the Athletic's books.
Oh me too. From googling, some source from last year says they have “well over 100,000 subscribers each paying about $5/month” yet another says they had roughly 250 editorial employees in 38 markets... and beat writers start around $70K, not including subscriber bonuses, along with all their travel expenses.

Not sure how legitimate these figures are, and apparently they are on fixed 2 or 3 yr contracts... but on the surface that seems like a huge loss.

Reactions: billybudd

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Oh me too. From googling, some source from last year says they have “well over 100,000 subscribers each paying about $5/month” yet another says they had roughly 250 editorial employees in 38 markets... and beat writers start around $70K, not including subscriber bonuses, along with all their travel expenses.

Not sure how legitimate these figures are, and apparently they are on fixed 2 or 3 yr contracts... but on the surface that seems like a huge loss.
Ironically enough I saw today they have now crossed 500K subscribers. Still got my doubts unless they can really continue funneling audiences with subscription revenue in excess of what has to be some pretty high G&A costs, but that’s pretty good.

I guess what I’m thinking too is: say you hire a new writer and the annual cost is $100K (total comp, travel and all - that may even be on the low side). That single writer would need to draw ~1,600-1,700 new subscribers at $5/mo, just to break even on their salary. Is that doable? Sure... but depends on the writer and the market.

I’m sure they have thought this kind of thing out though at a way higher level. But they have to make some assumptions that may not come to fruition like they’re thinking.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He offered me a position that was kind of a jack of all trades. Would be working with video editing, pod casts, writing, across the board stuff (as he says in the DMs, "EVERYTHING!") and it was really enticing. And then I started asking questions:

What's the salary? "40 range"
Is this salary of 1099? "We're 1099 right now but long story short we have a plan in place to be salaried for everyone by years end."
Will there be moving expenses? "No."
What about benefits? "Nothing as of yet but it's coming."

I'd just started a job that was full time here in town that I enjoyed and something felt uncomfortable about his replies so I said no but that I appreciated the offer. Never heard back. Two weeks later Yohe leaves and the stories of him being horrible to work for start coming out. And yes, I still have all of the receipts to prove this happened.

Color me shocked that 'maybe', 'no', and 'maybe' didn't close the deal with you. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I do. I've recounted that tale a few times and everyone looks at me like I have ten heads. I was beginning to wonder if my mind didn't make the whole thing up.

Wasn’t that the time the roof broke for the last time and they basically said “f*** it” and put the extra seats in so they had an excuse not to do that in the future? :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wasn’t that the time the roof broke for the last time and they basically said “**** it” and put the extra seats in so they had an excuse not to do that in the future? :laugh:

I was very, very young but I definitely felt both awe and more than a little discomfort due to potential safety reasons when that thing slowly ground about a third of the way open. Like the article pointed out, the sun started to blind the goaltenders.

And yeah that extra tier of seats was added a season or two afterward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
you know how bad is to be a hockey writer...when you're promoted to assistant sport editor in a failing newspaper. No wonder why hockey media sucks
It's like free agents that never got their big contract and finally do, they take it. Bombulie is getting a chance to make bank and add a solid title to his resume. He'll jump ship to better things once he's got a taste of that.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I do. I've recounted that tale a few times and everyone looks at me like I have ten heads. I was beginning to wonder if my mind didn't make the whole thing up.

I was there as well. They only opened the first two panels but it was a unique experience. Since there was no one at the game we moved around and watched from different vantage points. Including the very last row right where the panel was open. Such a cool view of the city and the game.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's like free agents that never got their big contract and finally do, they take it. Bombulie is getting a chance to make bank and add a solid title to his resume. He'll jump ship to better things once he's got a taste of that.

I don't know if there's still bank to make in any capacity at a local newspaper, but that's certainly a good resume item. Plus, the guy's competent and kind and it's nice to see that type of guy rewarded.

Reactions: Shady Machine

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
DK is so defensive and aggressive at just general/random/normal comments to his tweets all the time. So arrogant, too.

Attachments

• 9CED24AB-22EE-44AD-AAA0-5DB44A532C79.jpeg
    9CED24AB-22EE-44AD-AAA0-5DB44A532C79.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad