Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I know there are worse coaches than Sullivan floating around, but there are none with whom I am as exasperated. He has just gotten so stale here. I think that any change behind the bench might be enough to get this team to "dead cat bounce" its way into the playoffs at least one more time before Crosby and Malkin hang 'em up.

This is where I'm at. Give me anyone but Sullivan next year. I just can't stand his smirk and awful press conferences anymore. I am becoming indifferent to the team because of him

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Going full conspiracy theorist...

Weekes also tweeted yesterday that there is a scenario where a coach could end up with a bigger salary than what Babcock got from the Leafs.

What if it's Rod Brind'amour with the Pens?

FSG gave Dubas a truckload of cash. What's stopping them from doing the same on a coach?

If Sullivan wants out and lands in NJ, the Pens have an opening. Brind'amour is on an expiring contract and the Canes have one of the cheapest owners in the league. Brind'amour should've been locked up long ago but they're nickel and diming his staff.

What if FSG says to him, "Come to Pittsburgh and help build something like you did in Carolina, only we will give you the resources to push you over the top?"

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Weekes also tweeted yesterday that there is a scenario where a coach could end up with a bigger salary than what Babcock got from the Leafs.

FSG gave Dubas a truckload of cash. What's stopping them from doing the same on a coach?

If Sullivan wants out and lands in NJ, the Pens have an opening. Brind'amour is on an expiring contract and the Canes have one of the cheapest owners in the league. Brind'amour should've been locked up long ago but they're nickel and diming his staff.

What if FSG says to him, "Come to Pittsburgh and help build something like you did in Carolina, only we will give you the resources to push you over the top?"

If Brind'amour goes anywhere, it'll be to Seattle.

Reactions: Pens x

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

I thought of that (fever dream), but why would the news be breaking now with the Canes about to cruise into Round 2. Timing doesn't make sense. I think the Devils are going to pay Sully.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I hate the Hurricanes style but he’s a good coach.

I doubt there’s any decision set in stone with Brindamour with them being legitimate Cup contenders

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

If there's any coach in line for a huge payday soon, it's Brind'Amour. I doubt Pittsburgh is the team that's gonna do that, though.

Reactions: Darren McCord

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I hate the Hurricanes style but he’s a good coach.

I doubt there’s any decision set in stone with Brindamour with them being legitimate Cup contenders

Assuming the decision to leave is Brind'Amour's, there's precedent. Trotz left the Caps to coach the Islanders immediately after Washington won the cup in 2018. But you're right, it's too early to meaningfully speculate about what Carolina will want to do.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I thought of that (fever dream), but why would the news be breaking now with the Canes about to cruise into Round 2. Timing doesn't make sense. I think the Devils are going to pay Sully.
I've backed Sullivan longer than just about anyone on this board, but he's not worth $7+ million per year and being the highest paid coach in the league.

As far as the news breaking now, I think only the Sullivan component would become public now. He'd leave the Pens, join Jersey, and the Pens would say that they'll use some time to do an exhaustive search for their next coach.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hakstol would 100000% be a worse coach here than Sullivan. Sullivan sucks but Hakstol is atrocious. Absolutely no chance in hell I'd ever let Sullivan leave if they're replacing him with Hakstol.

I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Sullivan would be replaced with Keefe. Which to me is a dog with different fleas, but the change in voice would still be worth it.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I've backed Sullivan longer than just about anyone on this board, but he's not worth $7+ million per year and being the highest paid coach in the league.

As far as the news breaking now, I think only the Sullivan component would become public now. He'd leave the Pens, join Jersey, and the Pens would say that they'll use some time to do an exhaustive search for their next coach.

Was Babcock worth as much as he got? The league loves to pick one coach and elevate them as some perfect icon. Sullivan and Cooper are the leagues golden coaches right now.

Both with back to backs cups. Sullivan is the USA boy though and to many people in this league have a thing for that. I could easily see him getting an insane contract and that team saying an old core held him back,

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Hakstol would 100000% be a worse coach here than Sullivan. Sullivan sucks but Hakstol is atrocious. Absolutely no chance in hell I'd ever let Sullivan leave if they're replacing him with Hakstol.

I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Sullivan would be replaced with Keefe. Which to me is a dog with different fleas, but the change in voice would still be worth it.
Players at least like playing for Sullivan. They mutiny'd against Hakstol in Seattle and said he had to go after just three years.

Reactions: Lustaf and Pens x

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Assuming the decision to leave is Brind'Amour's, there's precedent. Trotz left the Caps to coach the Islanders immediately after Washington won the cup in 2018. But you're right, it's too early to meaningfully speculate about what Carolina will want to do.
Yea but why would Carolina follow that model which was the end of the Caps era

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Was Babcock worth as much as he got? The league loves to pick one coach and elevate them as some perfect icon. Sullivan and Cooper are the leagues golden coaches right now.

Both with back to backs cups. Sullivan is the USA boy though and to many people in this league have a thing for that. I could easily see him getting an insane contract and that team saying an old core held him back,
Cooper is No. 1, but Bednar and Brind'amour are higher on the league pecking order than Sullivan. Montgomery and Cassidy may overtake Sullivan in a month if they haven't already.

Yea but why would Carolina follow that model which was the end of the Caps era
Money. Not necessarily for him, but his staff. Carolina is cheap with its staff. It's been a major storyline the last year or so.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I could see the Canes wanting to change directions pending this year's results. Despite all the big talk about that team they haven't done much with their window as of yet when it's counted. And they seem like a well-run organization so this many years of only relative success and frankly more hype than results might spur them to move on from Rod.
It is possible they have not left the second round yet. Though they never keep some talent and let it go to keep cheaper talent. Which works well but sometimes that cheap talent just leaves you at the 2nd round.

Won't be about changing directions for the Canes. It's about being a cheap ass franchise. They don't want to pay Brind'amour and his assistants their true value.
Yea they are semi cheap and I do wonder if they will pony up for what he asks.

Trotz left because the Caps would not pay his ask. The caps from then on looked horrible. Islanders instantly looked better.

No to Hakstol. Just no. The rumors regarding players demanding he be gone were very loud.
---
Sullivan wherever he goes will do well. I can see him coach New Jersey and find success.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brind'Amour would be leaving Carolina because they wouldn't be willing to open up the checkbook to pay him.

They're not exactly known as a top spending organization.
Yea I know but why would Carolina not pay him if they won the Cup this year

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

Emphatically agree.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He's not under contract and can go to the highest bidder, and I think numerous teams would be willing to out-pay what Carolina can or wants to pay him.

It's not "they don't want to pay him" as much as it's "other teams can offer way more for him".

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Washington didn't pay Trotz. Carolina is cheap
He's not under contract and can go to the highest bidder, and I think numerous teams would be willing to out-pay what Carolina can or wants to pay him.

It's not "they don't want to pay him" as much as it's "other teams can offer way more for him".

Ditto. I imagine a slight discount but coaches can have a short shelf life in the NHL.
If a coach wins the cup he's gotta seize his chance at getting his pay day.

Fully in agreement Emp

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad