OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
beer temple is getting roasted in the athletic comments lol. btw does it seem like the amount of new content they are publishing has slowed to a trickle?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
DK was either fed wrong info or was making things up. As a Pirates blog pointed out on Twitter if this were a big, legitimate story all of the other news sources in town would have echoed it or piggybacked. Instead, silence.

I remember during the playoffs he was blathering on Madden’s show about the Pens losing Dumolin. That he wasn’t playing that night according to sources and blah blah blah. During the course of his interview the Pens announce Dumo is playing.

This is what being a piece of shit and chasing away anyone talented does. You lose all of your sources and either have really bad ones or make things up.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
beer temple is getting roasted in the athletic comments lol. btw does it seem like the amount of new content they are publishing has slowed to a trickle?

It always does in the summer, which I hate. I actually think they're publishing more now than they usually do.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Pomp is on vacation in Aruba. We need him back, the last true gem in Pittsburgh sports media. Whatever KDKA pays him (probably at least $200-300K, similar to Mark Madden) isn’t enough.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Do people still like Bombulie here? I remember enjoying him when he covered the WBS Pens and his move to Pittsburgh was shortly before I lost most of my interest in hockey.
I like him. Although feel like he doesn't really break anything or provide deep insights. He's just kinda there and gives his opinion on things with some insider knowledge here and there.

Regarding the bolded, how did that happen? I can't imagine ever losing interest in the sport

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
It surprised me too because I was a huge hockey fan from like age 8 on. Basically 20 years of obsession. The other weird thing is that I’ve become a big baseball fan, which I never cared about growing up.

I think if I could boil it down, I kinda got sick of the violence. My interest in football also declined sharply about the same time. Living in a non-NHL market (Atlanta) for a few years probably didn’t help either, though I could easily have watched tons of games because we got both the Predators, Canes, and sometimes Florida or Tampa broadcasts, not to mention NHL streaming.

I also wonder if the Penguins winning two Cups in a row was like being to the mountaintop. There wasn’t going to be anything more fun, shortly of my true hometown team, the Whalers, coming back.

Reactions: Beauner

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Do people still like Bombulie here? I remember enjoying him when he covered the WBS Pens and his move to Pittsburgh was shortly before I lost most of my interest in hockey.

I like him still. He is a pretty straight shooter though and doesn't seem to get many scoops so he tends to fade to the background. Sully, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to understand his questions sometimes, which I think is bizarre, and tends to give him a WTF look half the time.

His best work IMO is when he is talking about prospects. I personally really liked the combo of him and that Bill dude that was around in the Mike Johnston era. They would do a podcast and have fairly insightful, by Pittsburgh sport's standard, discussion. Bill was on the stats angle, although learning on the go, and JBomb would bring historical knowledge of the game and insight on where prospects played. Kind of like a less creepy and less charismatic McGuire.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
People still like Bombulie, but to add to what Shady said, the local sports page has sort of fallen off radar coverage in favor of hot take twitter (compare how often someone on this site links an article vs how often someone links a tweet).

Bombulie doesn't do those (or controversy at all), isn't (to my knowledge) particularly active on twitter and the Trib stopped experimenting with things like blogs, radio shows and podcasts when they re-oriented from Pittsburgh to Greensburg (et al), so the visibility of his work is much diminished, even though it's superior in a lot of ways.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
JB's pretty old school, which I appreciate, but it's not doing his career any favors. But the whole Pittsburgh market's sports coverage is really just a giant tire fire right now it seems like. (I can't vouch for the radio, what with me being in Europe and all.)

Reactions: BrunoPuntzJones

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's what was so appealing about Bombulie in Wilkes-Barre. He was a great beat reporter (sounds like that hasn't necessarily translated in Pittsburgh) with deep knowledge. Reading him helped you understand the games better.

I feel like his reporting still is pretty consistently on that level when he gets some space, but being in a bigger paper is working against him, I think. He could sort of do his own thing in Wilkes-Barre which gave him a lot of lee-way to report in a more interesting, less boilerplate way.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
It’s the Athletic and DK Land now.

How about DK calling out Alan Saunders for supposedly being the one behind that “DK Turmoil” twitter account? He went off on a bunch of people last week. Pretty brash stuff here:

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
DK was really wilding out last week. I'm surprised that it's still going on because it makes him look really paranoid and unstable. Also, what did Matt freaking Gajtka ever do to anyone?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It’s the Athletic and DK Land now.

How about DK calling out Alan Saunders for supposedly being the one behind that “DK Turmoil” twitter account? He went off on a bunch of people last week. Pretty brash stuff here:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Beauner and Jacob

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I really am questioning my decision to not pursue sports journalism in college because at this point I could fart into my phone's voice-to-text feature and produce more interesting and inviting content than the people in this town

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I really am questioning my decision to not pursue sports journalism in college because at this point I could fart into my phone's voice-to-text feature and produce more interesting and inviting content than the people in this town
Hey, I call that "opportunity".

There's a need...why shouldn't you try to fill it?

Reactions: Peat

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
DK was really wilding out last week. I'm surprised that it's still going on because it makes him look really paranoid and unstable. Also, what did Matt freaking Gajtka ever do to anyone?
Oh yeah, he went nutso. Over the weekend he even had an open Q&A on his site where people could ask him anything about the site, staff, local media, etc. which his stooge Lolley supposedly shut down.

He said Kaboly “knew what he did” and has written proof of it, whatever that is, and mentioned how he can’t stay out of other people’s business.

It’s as if he’s celebrating the 5th anniversary of his site (“first of its kind in North America”!) by doubling down against everyone who has left/gotten fired and basically trying to be all like “look at me, I’m still thriving despite all this!” It’s really something else, this local media.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I like Bombulie. He is definitely an old school guy, but he's accessible (will reply to tweets), and is probably one of the more knowledgeable Pens writers IMO. Someone mentioned that stats aren't really his forte and I would agree with that, but I like his content for the most part. He also doesn't go out of his way to sewer guys like some of the other clowns mentioned.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

Mark Madden really hated Sean Gentile's latest article. Good thing he chose such a professional way to voice his critique, otherwise this tweet would seem really hypocritical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad