OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But you'd have worked your way in though! Everybody does. Just think, if you'd stuck with it, you'd probably now be a hooker. How much fun would that be?

it’s probably more fun to pay for a hooker than to be one....:)

although I do not speak from experience

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But you'd have worked your way in though! Everybody does. Just think, if you'd stuck with it, you'd probably now be a hooker. How much fun would that be?

Man, I don't know. I always thought the hooker took some severe punishment. I wanted to play stand-off, but that went to the upperclassmen. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man, I don't know. I always thought the hooker took some severe punishment. I wanted to play stand-off, but that went to the upperclassmen. :laugh:

They do! That's the fun!

Man, I feel like I don't know you at all now :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They do! That's the fun!

Man, I feel like I don't know you at all now :laugh:

I'm not one to shy away from contact, but man, all three of the 9s on our team were pretty mangled by the end of the season. Like I said, it was pretty gnarly, even by my standards. :laugh:

I feel like we should saw rugby stories, you, me, and @Honour Over Glory. My "best" was I broke my own leg breaking a tackle. Guy tackled me high, so I drove myself and my shoulder up into his jaw and he went out, totally deadweight on my leg. I heard it snap but figured it wasn't anything too bad because it didn't hurt, and walked off the field before the adrenaline dropped and I felt that broken bone. Still stayed to drink with the team, went to the hospital a day or two later when the leg started turning black along the fracture. Rugby's insane. :laugh:

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not one to shy away from contact, but man, all three of the 9s on our team were pretty mangled by the end of the season. Like I said, it was pretty gnarly, even by my standards. :laugh:

I feel like we should saw rugby stories, you, me, and @Honour Over Glory. My "best" was I broke my own leg breaking a tackle. Guy tackled me high, so I drove myself and my shoulder up into his jaw and he went out, totally deadweight on my leg. I heard it snap but figured it wasn't anything too bad because it didn't hurt, and walked off the field before the adrenaline dropped and I felt that broken bone. Still stayed to drink with the team, went to the hospital a day or two later when the leg started turning black along the fracture. Rugby's insane. :laugh:

Honestly I've been very lucky with bone injuries and suspect I've got super dense bones or something as the only thing I've broken is my hand. That was in touch rugby incidentally. My best friend once lost a bunch of his teeth playing touch rugby too - head to mouth contact - back when we were 17. I got a lift to the local train station from his mum after as she was driving him to the dentist and I still treasure the scolding she gave him. Unbelievable. My knee and ankle are both horrendous though.

My worst injury is when I (probably) concussed myself within thirty seconds of coming on as a sub. Just got a knee to the back of the head after a ruck. I got up, ran around for a bit, thought I was okay as I hadn't blacked out, but at the next break of play ran off the pitch to vomit. Stayed on because... I don't know why, but I did. And had a good game. But when I was done, I was f***ed. When the captain noticed, he said he hadn't realised. I asked him what he thought me vomiting was.

"Oh, I just thought you were hungover".

I've also got free drinks twice for hurting the other team. Once when a guy who used to play for us until we kicked him out for thieving tried to tackle me and nearly knocked himself out (god knows how, he was twice the size of me), once when I very deliberately kicked an opposition scrum-half in the kidneys as he was lying on the floor because he was a dirty tw**t. I pretended it was an accident when the other team had a go at me. Good times.

It's only when I type it out that I stop being puzzled that people think it's insane or wouldn't want to do it themselves.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
A friend of mine's dad played international rugby in the 70s and the stories I've heard about the stuff people did in the scrums are insane. :laugh:

I was really good at tackling (not surprisingly), but that was before they really started enforcing the horse collaring rules. Man, did we get away with some shit. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

My worst was breaking my nose, fracturing my jaw and snapping 4 fingers in my right hand in a botched tackle and ensuing scrum.

Still had a pint with the lads after, through a straw mind you.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One rugby player I knew broke his arm, played through the game, and then, after he got his arm set in a cast, used the cast to beat the shit out of half a fraternity in a fight. :laugh: Dude was like Conan the Cimmerian or Nathan Explosion, in the flesh.

SXiS.gif

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Damn some people are insane haha.

My hockey injuries were breaking my sterno-clavicular joint in multiple pieces in 9th grade from a cheap shot at Silver Sticks finals and partial MCL tear in hockey school game.

I had a few knee strains in college, but nothing too bad.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I finished that game, btw. I don't remember most of it. But I had my fingers wrapped and yeah. We rugby blokes are an odd bunch for sure. I regret none of it though. The jaw being fractured was after at the game before the pub, we did xrays and hospital told me "Mate your jaw is fractured" and all I could think was "Well f***ing eh mate, explains why my face hurts innit?"

Game in the morning, had the Xrays done and determined I didn't need surgery in the late afternoon, pint with the mates in the evening while on painkillers, clearly not smart in your early 20s.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's a lot in common with ruggers and judoka. :laugh: I can't count the amount of times I or a teammate broke a toe or a finger or dislocated something during a match and on the sideline after, the only thing you hear is "hey, maybe we should pop your shoulder back in place" or "you might want to tape that up, you got 90 degree fingers". You tape it back up, go in, fight for another round, and then, after the tournament, you go to the bar and THEN the hospital to figure out what the damage is. :laugh:

My girlfriend hates tournament season. :dunno: :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's a lot in common with ruggers and judoka. :laugh: I can't count the amount of times I or a teammate broke a toe or a finger or dislocated something during a match and on the sideline after, the only thing you hear is "hey, maybe we should pop your shoulder back in place" or "you might want to tape that up, you got 90 degree fingers". You tape it back up, go in, fight for another round, and then, after the tournament, you go to the bar and THEN the hospital to figure out what the damage is. :laugh:

My girlfriend hates tournament season. :dunno: :laugh:

I never even went to the hospital. Which is probably quite stupid.

I have at least reached the point where I usually go off the first time I'm injured these days.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I never even went to the hospital. Which is probably quite stupid.

I have at least reached the point where I usually go off the first time I'm injured these days.

Same, really. :laugh: At tournaments, I take it a bit easier-- I don't really try to fight through injuries anymore, and I definitely am more vigilant about warming up, conditioning, and rehab before hand.

Soft-ish rule: if I win the match, but will have trouble lifting a beer mug after, it's time to bow out of the tournament. :cheers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->