Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Would OTT fans prefer Sheary or we trade Sheary for a pick (2nd round maybe late 1st if we’re lucky) then trade that pick to OTT?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ottawa doesn't have to move anyone at this point. But they do have to make some serious decisions next year or off season as Brassard, Duchesne and Karlsson are in their last years contractually. Extending those three could total 24 million per and that is some serious coin for a budget team. Karlsson may bring back some nice assets of picks and prospects so that will free up cash for extending the two centers. Teams are reluctant to give up quality centers and I keep both under the Karlsson scenario.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's interesting about Brassard is how it almost seems like it's expected that Brassard is going to the Penguins. It's not just one team interested in him like Kessel, I almost get this vibe that it's expected to happen. It feels like the Kessel situation because of that. You have Dorion playing the media with that Dreger tweet, and you have JR playing the media by "leaking" to Dater that Soderberg is a fallback option if Brassard doesn't work. It seems like a game of chicken at this point.

Reactions: EdwardBlake

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
One thing I've learned about Rutherford he leaves no stone unturned. He'll give you the best chance at winning whatever he decides to do.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
One thing I've learned about Rutherford he leaves no stone unturned. He'll give you the best chance at winning whatever he decides to do.
Isn’t this true for most competent GM’s? It’s called due diligence.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Isn’t this true for most competent GM’s? It’s called due diligence.
Yes but he has a knack of doing it better than anyone else. Not a pens fan at all. Just grudging respect that is earned and I'm too honest and value my own integrity to much to deny it

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He costs more, he produces less. He had under 40 points last sesason but the kicker here is... Goals, the all important who is going to put the puck in the net. PITS would rather have the finisher AINEC.
Pens fan here. I'll take Brassard every day of the week and twice Sunday over JVR, and I really like JVR. We have a glut of capable Ws. We have 3 NHL caliber Cs. We like Sheahan a lot but we don't like him with Kessel, and we prefer having Sid, Geno and Phil on separate lines to create matchup nightmares. We don't even try to line match at home with that setup. We just roll lines and you choose who beats your 3rd D pair. Brassard has the offensive talent to play with Phil and the 2 way game to cover back defensively.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pens fan here. I'll take Brassard every day of the week and twice Sunday over JVR, and I really like JVR. We have a glut of capable Ws. We have 3 NHL caliber Cs. We like Sheahan a lot but we don't like him with Kessel, and we prefer having Sid, Geno and Phil on separate lines to create matchup nightmares. We don't even try to line match at home with that setup. We just roll lines and you choose who beats your 3rd D pair. Brassard has the offensive talent to play with Phil and the 2 way game to cover back defensively.

If it's for Kessel, Bozak is a pretty logical choice. They have proven compatibility.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
I am a Penguins fan and would love to add Brassard. However, it is concerning that he does not PK, averaging 0.02 minutes per game on the PK.

Personally, I think the pens should be targetting a player who can PK as the 3 C.

Although I think Brassard is better, I think that Plekanec may add more value from that perspective. Also, I think the price would be far lower and the habs would eat salary.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Rutherford won't do that or the rumored asking price of Riley Sheahan. Brassard's big cap hit is also a big problem to work out just not for Rutherford but most teams in contention.

I also believe Rutherford pulls surprises, so Brassard talk is probably just that.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will move someone if they have to. Plekanec for me fits the type of vet center who will not break the bank as to acquisition costs and his 1.4 million TDL cap hit can be handled with a trade. I would prefer the Pens and GMJR make roster decisions for the more permanent center in the off season. FA or trade will be the way to go. I still think Bozak with no cost of acquisition and his fit with Phil is a no brainer.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I am a Penguins fan and would love to add Brassard. However, it is concerning that he does not PK, averaging 0.02 minutes per game on the PK.

Personally, I think the pens should be targetting a player who can PK as the 3 C.

Although I think Brassard is better, I think that Plekanec may add more value from that perspective. Also, I think the price would be far lower and the habs would eat salary.
It likely means Rowney stays in the lineup as a 4th line W to kill penalties and take RHS faceoffs. Unfortunate but we can deal. There's also nothing that says Brassard couldn't kill penalties for us even though he doesn't do it for OTT. He's no slouch defensively, they just preferred to use his minutes for offense in OTT.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
It's funny how people in this thread actually think the Penguins are going to have to part with anything of value, except for maybe like a 3rd round pick. Teams always give Pittsburgh a discount, for whatever reason.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Prediction:

OTT
Sheary, Gustavsson, 1st, Hunwick (cap)

PIT
Brassard, Oduya 50% retained

Possibility that Hunwick is traded for a 3rd in a separate deal and that 3rd is included instead.

OTT will push for Jarry, or Sprong, or some other roster player, but this will ultimately be it, and I think it's plenty fair.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Prediction:

OTT
Sheary, Gustavsson, 1st, Hunwick (cap)

PIT
Brassard, Oduya 50% retained

Possibility that Hunwick is traded for a 3rd in a separate deal and that 3rd is included instead.

OTT will push for Jarry, or Sprong, or some other roster player, but this will ultimately be it, and I think it's plenty fair.

That is a lot to give up from Pittsburgh. Sheary is a two-time cup winner. What has Brassard done?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad