Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like I said, I don't think JR would shy away from overpaying for Brassard. Gustavsson, Sprong and a 1st? I think he'd bite, because it's something the Penguins can afford to do. But Jarry? That changes things, Jarry is a NHL contributor right now and is a safety net due to Murray's injury history. That takes away from their team right now, which is a no go

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Is he considered better than Murray?...is the plan to try and role with two number 1 goalies? Seems like a perfect time to deal whichever young guy you feel isn't the future #1...not necessarily in this deal or to the Sens.

It cannot be overstated how important having two #1's was to the Pens cups the last two years. And personally if I had to choose between the two I would pick Jarry as the goalie of the future. Probably a lot of Pens fans would disagree with me. I really like how the Pens play in front of Jarry.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
You know you can send a cap dump right? Like Hunwick?

Hunwick makes less than Condon. So even then the pens are adding salary on top of the 5 million for Brassard. Hunwick is already getting moved to make room for Brassard. So now the pens are adding 7 million dollars of salary, and sending out 3 roster players. Thats why Jarry isn't happening.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1st + Sheary + Desmith makes sense to me. But I'm a Penguins fan so I might be biased.

Alternatively 2nd + Sheary + Gustavsson. Sheary's got to be a part of it though.

They are getting a better package than that for Brassard if not there is no point in trading him, he has a year left on his deal. Look what Hanzal went for last year.

(2017-Feb-26 Traded from Arizona Coyotes with Ryan White and round 4 pick in the 2017 draft (Mason Shaw) to Minnesota Wild for Grayson Downing, round 1 pick in the 2017 draft (Pierre-Olivier Joseph), round 2 pick in the 2018 draft and round 4 pick in the 2019 draft)

Hanzal isnt nearly as strong a player, and was a UFA. There are going to be a bunch of teams bidding on Brassard if he is available, his real dollars is even low so if teams with an internal budget want him he will fit that mold too.

If I am the sens id start the asking price at 1st, Sprong, Jarry from Pittsburgh and have a similar price set for other teams. I doubt the sens have any interest in Sheary, they have already been burned on a similar situation with Conacher. Once the Nash's and Kane's of the world get traded teams will want to answer the bell thats when Ottawa should deal. They dont have the pressure on them as teams do with players on expiring contracts and Brassard is probably the best player available right now with an incredible playoff track record that plays center.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Is he considered better than Murray?...is the plan to try and role with two number 1 goalies? Seems like a perfect time to deal whichever young guy you feel isn't the future #1...not necessarily in this deal or to the Sens.

Why not role with what works if the cap works out? With Murray on a RFA bridge deal and Jarry being cheaper than a free agent back-up for the next couple years there's no reason to trade Jarry right now. Rutherford, more than anyone, is well aware of how important a back-up can be.

Also keep in mind the Penguins only have 4 goalies playing professionally in North America right now...any goalie going out would require one coming back.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Apparently the offer is Sprong + Gus + 2019 1st (protected) + Hunwick but the Sens are holding out hope for Jarry. This is from a poster on the Sens board, so as always, grain of salt. Probably in line with what it would take to get Dorion to pull the trigger though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
1st, Sprong and Jarry for a guy in his 30s with one 60 point campaign and one 20+ goal season?

Yeah....... **** no.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Apparently the offer is Sprong + Gus + 2019 1st (protected) + Hunwick but the Sens are holding out hope for Jarry. This is from a poster on the Sens board, so as always, grain of salt. Probably in line with what it would take to get Dorion to pull the trigger though.
If thats the deal that is a fair one. I don't see the Pens trading Jarry and Sprong.
If the pens do this the Lightning and even Bruins better go out and do something.
I don't know if they would have any hope against a pens team with Sidney Malkin brass down the middle lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is what @KIRK said on the Penguins board too, so it seems like both sides are getting similar information. Jarry is a non-starter though, if Dorion is holding out for Jarry, he's going to be waiting for a while.

I don't know why he'd say no to that package anyway, that's a kick ass return for Brassard. I'd want salary retained in that deal, personally.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They are getting a better package than that for Brassard if not there is no point in trading him, he has a year left on his deal. Look what Hanzal went for last year.

(2017-Feb-26 Traded from Arizona Coyotes with Ryan White and round 4 pick in the 2017 draft (Mason Shaw) to Minnesota Wild for Grayson Downing, round 1 pick in the 2017 draft (Pierre-Olivier Joseph), round 2 pick in the 2018 draft and round 4 pick in the 2019 draft)

Hanzal isnt nearly as strong a player, and was a UFA. There are going to be a bunch of teams bidding on Brassard if he is available, his real dollars is even low so if teams with an internal budget want him he will fit that mold too.

If I am the sens id start the asking price at 1st, Sprong, Jarry from Pittsburgh and have a similar price set for other teams. I doubt the sens have any interest in Sheary, they have already been burned on a similar situation with Conacher. Once the Nash's and Kane's of the world get traded teams will want to answer the bell thats when Ottawa should deal. They dont have the pressure on them as teams do with players on expiring contracts and Brassard is probably the best player available right now with an incredible playoff track record that plays center.

Only problem with this logic is that Fletcher straight out said he regrets the Hanzal trade.

I see zero chance Jarry is involved in this trade. JR isn't a GM to be frugal when he wants a guy, but he's also not a moron either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1st, Sprong and Jarry for a guy in his 30s with one 60 point campaign and one 20+ goal season?

Yeah....... **** no.

Thats simplifying it quite a bit, how about the player with the 3rd most playoff points in the last 5 years after Crosby and Malkin. It can go both ways.

Only problem with this logic is that Fletcher straight out said he regrets the Hanzal trade.

I see zero chance Jarry is involved in this trade. JR isn't a GM to be frugal when he wants a guy, but he's also not a moron either.

Well any GM that doesnt win the cup regrets any deadline deal they made giving up youth. Thats kinda the point, to go all the way. I agree it was clearly overpayment and I dont expect Ottawa to get the package I am suggesting but thats the price id start at if I am Dorion.

Reactions: Sensinitis

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
This is what @KIRK said on the Penguins board too, so it seems like both sides are getting similar information. Jarry is a non-starter though, if Dorion is holding out for Jarry, he's going to be waiting for a while.

I don't know why he'd say no to that package anyway, that's a kick ass return for Brassard. I'd want salary retained in that deal, personally.

Ottawa's in an advantageous position in that a lot of the guys they're listening to offers for [Brassard, Hoffman, Smith, Pageau] have some term left on their deal, so it's not as if they're desperate to trade them given that they'll still be signed through next season and in some cases, beyond that.
There's no sense in trading these guys unless you get a WOW type offer. I agree that the offer being mentioned from Pittsburgh is solid [I'd appreciate someone letting me in on why Sprong so often appears in trade rumours...] but it's smart for Dorion to push for a little more, given that it's not a must to trade Brassard before the deadline.

Reactions: bert

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I’d be willing to do it. Jarry? Nope. I hope JR has set a deadline and moves on to Soderberg if Dorion is playing hardball.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That is a ridiculous overpayment. Jarry better be untouchable imo.
It's hard to get anyone of value if your backup goalie with 20 career GP is untouchable.

As a Penguins fan, I think Jarry has been quite fortunate to have such a high SV% at this point as he too often takes himself out of position, and is only an average backup at the moment. And even Zatkoff put up a .915 with the Pens over 35 games yet wasn't an NHL-caliber goalie.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah that just seems like a lot. Sprong and Gustavsson is such a strong base I just don’t see the need for a 1st to be added. Maybe a 2nd?

Reactions: Uemoda

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Jarry is our cheap back up goalie who could easily be called on to win us a game, series, etc. He is dirt cheap. We move him and we have to make more moves to try and find a replacement that also fits under the cap. Gus is in Europe, we can’t move Jarry.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Someone with connections on the Penguins board is saying that Ottawa is holding out for Jarry, Sprong and a 1st for Brassard. If that's the case, no wonder Brassard hasn't been moved yet, that's an absurd overpayment for him.

Yikes, I'd walk away if that's the price. Explore something cheaper than that.

If Murray gets hurt down the stretch and they have just traded Tristan Jarry its DeSmith or nothing at that point.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the offer that Rutherford has made really is Hunwick, 1st (18 or 19), Gus and Sprong... I hope that Dorion sticks to his guns and forces Rutherford to look elsewhere, as that's an absurd price to pay for someone who will only be here for 16 months. Attempt at a 3peat or not, that's idiotic.

Rutherford (perhaps as a former NHL goalie) really values having strong goaltending and depth in general. He's won 3 Stanley Cups, and in every instance has needed 2 NHL goalies (and in one case, 3 goalies), playing big roles to get the win. In 06 and 16 it was the rookie stealing the show, and in 16/17 it was a split between the established vet stealing a series and Murray getting healthy and doing his thing. There's no way that Rutherford would move Jarry at this point in time without getting another high end goalie in return (which isn't happening).

So no, I don't think it's a matter of Jarry being seen as "better than" Murray. He's seen as a very good young goalie, who costs us nothing cap wise. His next contract is likely less than 1m (unless he plays significant minutes in the POs this year). Even after that (based on some others like Schneider and Grubauer) his contract will likely be reasonably affordable cap wise. That means that for the next 3-4 years, Pittsburgh can have a great goalie tandem who are both very young and do not cost a lot. Add in that goalies never really fetch all that much of a return value wise... and it just doesn't make a ton of sense to move Jarry at this time. And that's even before getting into the fact we have no real established backup for him that would be an absolute need (and who fits into our cap).

Reactions: Uemoda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad