Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, pocket dog’s post was something I was was waiting for. Sheary and Conacher (back then) have a lot of similarities. Except Sheary has been doing it for the equivalent of two seasons. .5 ppg over 160+ games. While Conacher (at the time of the trade) had...half a season of looking like the next big thing?

But yeah, I can see the parallels in their games. Small, elusive, speedy. The only thing I can say for Sheary that I don’t know about for CC is that he has the skill and hockey smarts to adapt. But I can see how, being burned by the first trade, a team would shy away from potentially doing it again.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I don't think Sheary would be the centerpiece in the Brassard deal, it would be the 1st or Gustavsson. I think Sheary would be the tertiary piece. Sheary's probably a guy you're immediately flipping to Edmonton for a 2nd or 3rd plus an okay prospect.

an extremely late 1st or a goalie prospect who's a few years away from the NHL should not be the 'centerpiece' either

start with Sprong and it goes form there imo. Especially since I dont think Jarry will be moved

Reactions: Dr Quincy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
an extremely late 1st or a goalie prospect who's a few years away from the NHL should not be the 'centerpiece' either

start with Sprong and it goes form there imo. Especially since I dont think Jarry will be moved

Sprong isn't a sticking point for Rutherford. No matter how much some Pens fans like him, for Rutherford, Sprong isn't a sticking point.

Nor is the late 1st.

I suspect you just hit on the sticking point . . . Jarry.

I suspect he's not the goaltending prospect Rutherford is willing to move.

Reactions: DJB

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

What are you basing that claim on? Murray needed a season and a half in the AHL before he was ready to be a starter. Jarry needed 2 seasons before he was NHL ready. Those guys were coming from juniors too, and Gustavsson has played in the pros for the last 2 years with pretty good results.

I also don't think anyone would be sticklers on starting with Sprong. You're just not getting Sheary along with Sprong, it would probably be Hunwick, Sprong and a 1st.

Reactions: DJB

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Sprong isn't a sticking point for Rutherford. No matter how much some Pens fans like him, for Rutherford, Sprong isn't a sticking point.

Nor is the late 1st.

I suspect you just hit on the sticking point . . . Jarry.

I suspect he's not the goaltending prospect Rutherford is willing to move.

thats kind of what I am suggesting too, like if Jarry is in the deal than either the 1st or Sprong is not as important.

Since it seems really unlikely that Jarry is dealt, Sprong should be the 'centerpiece'

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
I’m assuming you tabbed Angelo Esposito as ‘the next coming of Mario’.
I never liked him, Caputi, Tangradi (I had hoped he might be able to figure it out as a solid 4th liner improvement over Gladams., and I had wanted us to trade Morrow when his value was high because I thought he was fringe. Only one I can remember being wrong about or wishing we kept was Bennett.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
You need to consider likelihood of hitting that ceiling. Just because Bjorkvist projects to be a middle 6 NHL'er if he pans out, doesn't mean he's a "high end" prospect. To me, he's a middle prospect. Decent upside, but years away from being an NHL'er and it's not certain he's going to make it.

Blue chipper to me is high end, high likelihood. Lauzon, for example, doesn't meet that criteria.
Blue chip prospects don’t need more than a year in the AHL, if at all. Blue chip means high impact, potential all stars (under old format), 80% chance they play 100 NHL games, high end will have 70% chance of a solid career of over 100games (w/ up/down years) but will play a sucessful row on a team. Middle end 50/50 if they crack the nhl on any regular basis. Will probably play for a few years as depth/bottom of the line up guys. Might never make it and go and play in europe/russia before calling it quits.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
From a Sens pov I can't get behind Sheary being the centre piece of a Brassard deal, and is almost entirely based on the Conacher experience. Thanks for the scouting report but all it really did was confirm the fears that if Sheary doesn't play with a centre to drive his line, then the chances are higher that this situation plays out the same. This is Conacher's scouting report from the Hockey news.

SCOUTING REPORT
ASSETS:
Has tremendous offensive instincts, playmaking acumen and a lot of quickness. He's also deceptive on the ice, and rather elusive. Is also willing to work the corners and is quite feisty.
FLAWS:
His general lack of size (5-8, 180 pounds) will always be a factor as long as he's toiling in the highest professional hockey ranks, especially since he does not back down from anyone.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Diminutive, depth winger.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I could see Sheary excelling with Pageau, possibly even with Duchene. He is at his best with Sid and is at his best in transition.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Brassard > JVR. Not even the fact that he's a centre. More because of the contract. He's not a rental.

He costs more, he produces less. He had under 40 points last sesason but the kicker here is... Goals, the all important who is going to put the puck in the net. PITS would rather have the finisher AINEC.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He costs more, he produces less. He had under 40 points last sesason but the kicker here is... Goals, the all important who is going to put the puck in the net. PITS would rather have the finisher AINEC.

Yeah except JVR has 25 points in 52 Playoff games. 0.48 P/GP.
Brassard has 55 in 78. 0.70 P/GP.
I'm sure Pittsburgh fans will take the guy who produces more when it matters most, who has more playoff experience, who plays centre and has a year left at 3.5 million real dollars.

Reactions: KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

No...no. Not even close...Brassard plays C, dependable in all situations, and isn't a rental.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Cant you move Sheahan down to the 4th line and have brassard on the 3rd line? Would make the team that much stronger no?

The common sense is you bring in 3rd center and Sheahan goes to 4th line and you're better right.

That's flawed here bc you need to understand WHY Sheahan is playing so well. He's playing with Kessel and Guentzel. Two top 6 wingers on the third line. C'est la vie.

So, then your argument progresses to wouldn't then Brassard make the 3rd line better. Marginally. And not worth the assets you have to give up to acquire him. The point is I can get away with less, so if I get better quality I only slightly improve. My wingers are doing the heavy lifting on that line.

Ottawa needs this trade more than Pittsburgh. Since the Penguins have developed a 3rd line that's producing like last year (your GMs created this - blame yourselves) they now move to Matt Cullen for the 4th line. Yes your GMs created this bc they were squeezing JR so he came up with a different solution and now you need this more than us.

Brassard's clock is ticking, boys. Eat ****

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
^ If I kick Sheahan down to the 4th line, he is no longer playing like he is right now. Bc the wingers are carrying him. So what I want to do is get better on the 4th line center. And do an upgrade winger.

Turn a Sheary into an Evander Kane.

Turn a Brian Dumoulin into a Duncan Keith.

Not this Brassard 50% off this time next year.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
the point you miss is brassard plays better in the playoffs, im not a ranger fan but he was so solid in all their recent playoff runs. i cant see why the penguins wouldnt want what he brings, nor any team going to the dance

Reactions: KIRK

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The common sense is you bring in 3rd center and Sheahan goes to 4th line and you're better right.

That's flawed here bc you need to understand WHY Sheahan is playing so well. He's playing with Kessel and Guentzel. Two top 6 wingers on the third line. C'est la vie.

So, then your argument progresses to wouldn't then Brassard make the 3rd line better. Marginally. And not worth the assets you have to give up to acquire him. The point is I can get away with less, so if I get better quality I only slightly improve. My wingers are doing the heavy lifting on that line.

Ottawa needs this trade more than Pittsburgh. Since the Penguins have developed a 3rd line that's producing like last year (your GMs created this - blame yourselves) they now move to Matt Cullen for the 4th line. Yes your GMs created this bc they were squeezing JR so he came up with a different solution and now you need this more than us.

Brassard's clock is ticking, boys. Eat ****
inconvenient for you is the fact that sheahan has looked even better when guentzel was moved to c with kessel and he was pushed to the 4th line

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: