Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dorion is smart to sit on this. Hope Columbus or another team gets desperate and it's much better for them. If not - you KNOW Pittsburgh's offer will stand. What is Pittsburgh going to do? They really want Richardson or Letestu?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dorion is smart to sit on this. Hope Columbus or another team gets desperate and it's much better for them. If not - you KNOW Pittsburgh's offer will stand. What is Pittsburgh going to do? They really want Richardson or Letestu?

EXCEPT he doesn't have the luxury of sitting on it past the deadline. Brassard's value drops at the draft, even with extra bidders, (a) because you're only getting 1 playoff run with him and (b) there's a 2.5M bonus payable on July 1 looming. Dorion needs Armstrong to step up, but he's old school like JR. So, he needs Jarmo to be desperate, but the bind Columbus is in cuts both ways . . . IF Columbus got Brassard, do you think they're a sure thing for the playoffs? And, if not, then do you see Jarmo paying the bid price Dorion wants to move him today?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
EXCEPT he doesn't have the luxury of sitting on it past the deadline. Brassard's value drops at the draft, even with extra bidders, (a) because you're only getting 1 playoff run with him and (b) there's a 2.5M bonus payable on July 1 looming. Dorion needs Armstrong to step up, but he's old school like JR. So, he needs Jarmo to be desperate, but the bind Columbus is in cuts both ways . . . IF Columbus got Brassard, do you think they're a sure thing for the playoffs? And, if not, then do you see Jarmo paying the bid price Dorion wants to move him today?

I listened to Jarmo talk just a couple days ago. I think he actually has a good mindset for where his team is. I do not think he's close to a panic button. Or he could have the best poker face of all time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I listened to Jarmo talk just a couple days ago. I think he actually has a good mindset for where his team is. I do not think he's close to a panic button. Or he could have the best poker face of all time.

We were discussing this here earlier. He's not the panic button type, which is why I wonder, if he doesn't think for certain Brassard assures a playoff spot, whether he'd pay the type of price it would take to end the bidding right now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Brass is the type of guy a playoff team needs. He may not help you get in. But when you're there hes the kind of guy who will push you over the hump.

Brassard with Kessel

Malkin on another planet right now playing with Hagelin and Rust (or Hornqvist)

A Crosby line

How do you defend that?

End of the day, as a Pens fan, THAT is what I'm looking at.

Obviously, you still need to stay healthy and get some breaks, but add Brassard to the Pens mix without a serious subtraction from the current roster, and the Pens are, at worst, a pick em against anyone. I'd take my chances with that and, all else being equal, trust Crosby and Malkin to be the difference.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
has there been a rumour about sprong + gus +1st? that seems like a lot for brass

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Brass is the type of guy a playoff team needs. He may not help you get in. But when you're there hes the kind of guy who will push you over the hump.
That's why I want him so bad. The guy is about as good as Kessel is when the post season starts. The more playoff performers your team has, the better you are. We also have mr game 7 in Rust, although we did lose Bonino who's awesome at getting goals at the right time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For any Senators fans who don't know much about him, I'll give a quick scouting report on Sheary:

Pros: Phenomenal skater, it's his strongest attribute. That's both for speed and agility, his acceleration, top end speed and agility are all phenomenal. He's a well rounded offensive player overall, nice hands, a surprisingly hard shot for his size and good playmaking talents. He's good at finding soft spots in the offensive zone, which actually is an important trait to have. He's surprisingly gritty too, he has shifts where he looks like a mini Crosby with his board work.
Cons: The dude falls over like 20 times a game for seemingly no reason. He's very inconsistent. His defensive game is questionable on his strong wing and awful on his off wing. He's not a guy that's going to drive a line, he's a complementary component on a line.

I don't know if it is right to include Sheary being a complementary player as a con, but it's definitely not a pro. It's just not the kind of player he is, he's not a guy that's going to be driving offense from your 3rd line or something like that. There are so few wingers that are line drivers, though, so I don't know if it's fair to put it in as a con. The best way I can describe him is that he's Yanni Gourde if Gourde was a winger instead of a center.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
For any Senators fans who don't know much about him, I'll give a quick scouting report on Sheary:

Pros: Phenomenal skater, it's his strongest attribute. That's both for speed and agility, his acceleration, top end speed and agility are all phenomenal. He's a well rounded offensive player overall, nice hands, a surprisingly hard shot for his size and good playmaking talents. He's good at finding soft spots in the offensive zone, which actually is an important trait to have. He's surprisingly gritty too, he has shifts where he looks like a mini Crosby with his board work.
Cons: The dude falls over like 20 times a game for seemingly no reason. He's very inconsistent. His defensive game is questionable on his strong wing and awful on his off wing. He's not a guy that's going to drive a line, he's a complementary component on a line.

I don't know if it is right to include Sheary being a complementary player as a con, but it's definitely not a pro. It's just not the kind of player he is, he's not a guy that's going to be driving offense from your 3rd line or something like that. There are so few wingers that are line drivers, though, so I don't know if it's fair to put it in as a con. The best way I can describe him is that he's Yanni Gourde if Gourde was a winger instead of a center.

From a Sens pov I can't get behind Sheary being the centre piece of a Brassard deal, and is almost entirely based on the Conacher experience. Thanks for the scouting report but all it really did was confirm the fears that if Sheary doesn't play with a centre to drive his line, then the chances are higher that this situation plays out the same. This is Conacher's scouting report from the Hockey news.

SCOUTING REPORT
ASSETS:
Has tremendous offensive instincts, playmaking acumen and a lot of quickness. He's also deceptive on the ice, and rather elusive. Is also willing to work the corners and is quite feisty.
FLAWS:
His general lack of size (5-8, 180 pounds) will always be a factor as long as he's toiling in the highest professional hockey ranks, especially since he does not back down from anyone.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Diminutive, depth winger.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
From a Sens pov I can't get behind Sheary being the centre piece of a Brassard deal, and is almost entirely based on the Conacher experience. Thanks for the scouting report but all it really did was confirm the fears that if Sheary doesn't play with a centre to drive his line, then the chances are higher that this situation plays out the same. This is Conacher's scouting report from the Hockey news.

SCOUTING REPORT
ASSETS:
Has tremendous offensive instincts, playmaking acumen and a lot of quickness. He's also deceptive on the ice, and rather elusive. Is also willing to work the corners and is quite feisty.
FLAWS:
His general lack of size (5-8, 180 pounds) will always be a factor as long as he's toiling in the highest professional hockey ranks, especially since he does not back down from anyone.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Diminutive, depth winger.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
a high end prospect would be the centerpiece ie Sprong/Gus imo

money in money out

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think Sheary would be the centerpiece in the Brassard deal, it would be the 1st or Gustavsson. I think Sheary would be the tertiary piece. Sheary's probably a guy you're immediately flipping to Edmonton for a 2nd or 3rd plus an okay prospect.

Reactions: edguy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad