Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I find it interesting that so many sources are saying Pittsburgh is going after Brassard, when Sheahan has been killing it as the 3C this year (pace of 16 goals and 44 points per 82 games in his last 41 games).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cant you move Sheahan down to the 4th line and have brassard on the 3rd line? Would make the team that much stronger no?

That's exactly what they would do, I'm just surprised that so many people are saying they're gunning so high for another center when Sheahan's play this year has been really good.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Brassard / Sheahan as your 3rd and 4th C would be huge for the Pens in attempting to 3-peat.

Probably means Sheary would be going the other way? (I know there will be prospects and picks included but i'm just talking roster players)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Brassard / Sheahan as your 3rd and 4th C would be huge for the Pens in attempting to 3-peat.

Probably means Sheary would be going the other way? (I know there will be prospects and picks included but i'm just talking roster players)

A poster on the Sens board with a contact in Pittsburgh says Sprong, Hunwick and a first has been discussed.

Reactions: Trade

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He wouldn't come cheap. What will the Pens have to give up for Hoffman?

It's my understanding that a 1st and Sprong may have offered about 10 weeks ago and was rebuffed.

I suspect they're willing to add to get Brassard and that the 'hold up' has been JR trying to figure out if he can move money elsewhere to make it happen. It seems like he was looking to do that the last week or so and that he may have things lined up, because his tone changed last week in the interviews he was giving about his approach to adding by the deadline.

The big question is what Dorian wants.

JR will offer 'more'. That's his MO for a guy he wants. It's always his MO for a guy he wants. The question is whether 'more' will be 'better' than others might offer, and that depends upon Dorian's preferences and identified priority of needs in terms of futures coming back.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think any deal would have to include Sprong. If I'm the pens...I'd do it. They have a chance to be Back-to-back-to-back champions. You cant pass that up

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He wouldn't come cheap. What will the Pens have to give up for Hoffman?

You mean Brassard? I'll assume you mean Brassard.

The hard part about adding Brassard is making the cap work. If they can move Hunwick out without taking any salary back (which is possible, just not easy), they'd just have to include Sheary in the Brassard deal to afford Brassard's cap hit. Ottawa probably won't retain on Brassard, which makes the cap difficult for the Penguins to work with.

In the case of what they'd give up, I'd guess it would probably be a package of something like Sheary, Gustavsson and a 1st for Brassard. That is probably already an overpayment, but it's not a payment the Penguins couldn't afford to make. The Penguins having to move Sheary to be able to afford Brassard makes it difficult to move Sprong, which is a problem in the Brassard to Pittsburgh talk.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That would be huge if Sheary wasn't involved. Thanks for the info.
In my opinion, I'd rather move Sheary than Sprong at this point.

I wouldn't jump to move #43, but I don't think losing him would irreparably hurt our chances at the 3-peat, though admittedly, he would help us keep some nice depth, should the injury bug start to bite.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I've said it on the Sens section but I'll say it here too.

I'd be beyond shocked if Ottawa had any interest in Sprong. They are a character team and Sprong isnt a guy with a lot of character.. I know him from his days in Charlottetown.

Plus Ottawa had eyes and ears in Charlottetowns room in Sprongs draft year in Connor Cameron. If they wanted him they woulda grabbed him at 21..

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Brassard unfortunately would be a great fit in Pittsburgh IMO. His versatility of play and position (IIRC he can play LW also?) would be fantastic for them.

Reactions: dumpin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A poster on the Sens board with a contact in Pittsburgh says Sprong, Hunwick and a first has been discussed.

The only issue I see with this is that it doesn't work with the cap, and to make it work with the cap, you'd have to trade Sheary. Suddenly, you're down 2 skilled wingers in Sheary and Sprong, which isn't an ideal situation to be in. That's the only reason I'm opposed to giving up Sprong for Brassard, to afford Sprong, you also have to move Sheary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad