Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Jarry + Sprong + Sheary + Hunwick + 2019 1st (top 5 protected) + 2018 2nd for Brassard@50% + Condon + Oduya@50%

Pitt gets a decent backup in Condon on a decent contract if they aren't confident in DeSmith.
Ottawa gets 5.75mil in cap and Pittsburgh gets 5.4 in cap for the rest of the season.
Ottawa then trades Sheary and Hunwick if possible .

Brassard's salary next year is only 1 mil with 2.5 mil in bonus, and i'm not sure if retention is applied to bonuses or not, so Ottawa only has to pay 500k for him next year and the cap wont be an issue.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Jarry + Sprong + Sheary + Hunwick + 2019 1st (top 5 protected) + 2018 2nd for Brassard@50% + Condon + Oduya@50%

Pitt gets a decent backup in Condon on a decent contract if they aren't confident in DeSmith.
Ottawa gets 5.75mil in cap and Pittsburgh gets 5.4 in cap for the rest of the season.

Brassard's salary next year is only 1 mil with 2.5 mil in bonus, and i'm not sure if retention is applied to bonuses or not, so Ottawa only has to pay 500k for him next year and the cap wont be an issue.
So bad for Pittsburgh.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I can't imagine any scenario where JR would move Jarry, Sprong and a 1st. Condon & Oduya are not attractive pieces to get them to do so.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That is comically bad for Pittsburgh. Are the Penguins trading for Duchene or Brassard?

Probably at the draft or in August. It wont be for as much either, teams only be paying for 1 year so lesser offers.

The problems with that:

1. Teams only get him for 1 cup run instead of 2 cup runs, which hurts his value.
2. Brassard is owed a sizable bonus on July 1st, and I can't imagine the Senators would be happy to pay that bonus.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Sens don't have a 2nd this year and just because we know Melnyk will retain salary now doesn't mean he should do it "willybilly".

What happened to grabbing 2 of Gustavsson, Sprong or the Pens 1st as a base? I would want Jarry if he was available but considering it took a large portion of this year for the Pens to find a backup it's an unrealistic ask.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007

Find someone else.

Reactions: Neiler

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The problems with that:

1. Teams only get him for 1 cup run instead of 2 cup runs, which hurts his value.
2. Brassard is owed a sizable bonus on July 1st, and I can't imagine the Senators would be happy to pay that bonus.

Yo Dorion, just trade him to Pens already.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

JR: Adios!

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It's hard to get anyone of value if your backup goalie with 20 career GP is untouchable.

As a Penguins fan, I think Jarry has been quite fortunate to have such a high SV% at this point as he too often takes himself out of position, and is only an average backup at the moment. And even Zatkoff put up a .915 with the Pens over 35 games yet wasn't an NHL-caliber goalie.

You and I obviously aren't seeing the same thing. It happens. My opinion is quit strong but respect yours.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

f*** outta here with that bullshit..

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Ugh. Just no. Oduya isn't nearly effective enough anymore for that.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Tristan Jarry is the next Matt Murray, the kid is the real deal imo. I think the pens have a Nabokov/Kiprusoff situation here, where both guys are starter quality but Jarry is eventually going to have to be dealt as Murray is obviously our guy. Wouldn't risk it this year though and not as a throw-in for Brassard. I think something around Sprong, Hunwick, and a 1st is fair.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Tristan Jarry is the next Matt Murray, the kid is the real deal imo. I think the pens have a Nabokov/Kiprusoff situation here, where both guys are starter quality but Jarry is eventually going to have to be dealt as Murray is obviously our guy. Wouldn't risk it this year though and not as a throw-in for Brassard. I think something around Sprong, Hunwick, and a 1st is fair.

Yep, if and when we do have to trade Jarry, i want a young player solid upside on a longer term coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad