Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well any GM that doesnt win the cup regrets any deadline deal they made giving up youth. Thats kinda the point, to go all the way. I agree it was clearly overpayment and I dont expect Ottawa to get the package I am suggesting but thats the price id start at if I am Dorion.

I think he regretted the move not because they didn't win the cup, but because Hanzal wasn't very effective and they didn't get past the first round.

Not every team has to win the cup for their playoffs to be considered a success, as many teams go well into the black financially in the second round.

But ya, I get how bargaining works.

JR is known to overpay to a degree, but I can't see him flinching on Jarry.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Apparently the offer is Sprong + Gus + 2019 1st (protected) + Hunwick but the Sens are holding out hope for Jarry. This is from a poster on the Sens board, so as always, grain of salt. Probably in line with what it would take to get Dorion to pull the trigger though.

He’ll be holding out for a while for Jarry to be the goalie instead of Gus. JR loves goalie depth because he’s always needed it.

Sprong, Gus, 1st, Hunwick is a fair deal. It’s a little high from our side but we are gunning for a threepeat also it’s two runs with Brassard.

You guys get a winger that’s NHL ready that has a talent for goals, a goalie that should develop in time for when you guys move up the NHL ranks again, 1st which you don’t have in 2019. Hunwick is a player for now and can be moved later if needed/wanted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’ll be holding out for a while for Jarry to be the goalie instead of Gus. JR loves goalie depth because he’s always needed it.

Sprong, Gus, 1st, Hunwick is a fair deal. It’s a little high from our side but we are gunning for a threepeat also it’s two runs with Brassard.

You guys get a winger that’s NHL ready that has a talent for goals, a goalie that should develop in time for when you guys move up the NHL ranks again, 1st which you don’t have in 2019. Hunwick is a player for now and can be moved later if needed/wanted.

Id do that, how long is Hunwick signed for?

Would you rather include Jarry + Sheary or Sprong + Gustavsson?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I actually wouldn’t mind Jarry+ Sprong+ Hunwick for Brassard.

Jarry is a good young goalie but Murray is our guy. DeSmith is good and we can always acquire a cheap backup for mid-late draft pick. That way we can see what we have in Gustavsson.

We also keep our 1st and 2nd picks this year.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Thats simplifying it quite a bit, how about the player with the 3rd most playoff points in the last 5 years after Crosby and Malkin. It can go both ways.

1) Brassard is not 3rd in playoff scoring over the last five years. He's literally not. He is 6th in games played though, which allows a player to score more (obviously). Also, scoring in the playoffs is pretty much dependent on how far your team goes, which leads me to.....

2) He's 30th in points per game in the playoffs over that time (.7 ppg), which is very respectable, but I have not claimed he is a bad player or not a playoff performer. I've been following the guy since his days in Columbus, and actually like the guy. I'd love to have him on the Pens. Just not at the absurd cost some people are saying. Guess who is ahead of Brassard in ppg in the playoffs? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Guentzel. So the whole "3rd in playoff scoring over 5 years" was a pretty terrible point to make.

3) Overpaying for a player based on select performances is a horrendous idea. Not doing that is why the Pens were able to win back-to-back cups. Doing that is how you get Cory Conacher.

4) If you're going to lecture me on using stats to my advantage, don't do it yourself. I was judging Brassard based on the dude's ENTIRE career and you're all pissy because his stats at this point indicate that he's not worth 1st, Sprong and Jarry. That's hilarious overpayment for the guy.

Is that complicated enough for you, or am I still oversimplifying?

EDIT: What it boils down to for me is that I'm not willing to deal Sprong for Brassard. I'm ok with the first going. I'm ok with Jarry going if a 1st isn't. But I'm sure as hell not ok with all three going, that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

2 more years for Hunwick. He’s a decent bottom pair D man. He could be moved for a mid draft pick Id imagine.

Jarry has to be a non starter. If Murray gets injured, Jarry is good enough to help us win still.

Sprong and Gus will be good but it’s where we are deepest that’s why I imagine JR can justify the deal. They also seem to work for where you guys are at too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1) Brassard is not 3rd in playoff scoring over the last five years. He's literally not. He is 6th in games played though, which allows a player to score more (obviously). Also, scoring in the playoffs is pretty much dependent on how far your team goes, which leads me to.....

2) He's 30th in points per game in the playoffs over that time (.7 ppg), which is very respectable, but I have not claimed he is a bad player or not a playoff performer. I've been following the guy since his days in Columbus, and actually like the guy. I'd love to have him on the Pens. Just not at the absurd cost some people are saying. Guess who is ahead of Brassard in ppg in the playoffs? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Guentzel. So the whole "3rd in playoff scoring over 5 years" was a pretty terrible point to make.

3) Overpaying for a player based on select performances is a horrendous idea. Not doing that is why the Pens were able to win back-to-back cups. Doing that is how you get Cory Conacher.

4) If you're going to lecture me on using stats to my advantage, don't do it yourself. I was judging Brassard based on the dude's ENTIRE career and you're all pissy because his stats at this point indicate that he's not worth 1st, Sprong and Jarry. That's hilarious overpayment for the guy.

Is that complicated enough for you, or am I still oversimplifying?

Who has more points than Brassard over that period of time?... No one he has 55 points, being a consistent producer and veteran matters whether you like it or not. Its not a terrible point its a fact, it just doesnt go along with your narrative. My point was we are using specific isolated one line answeres to describe a player and its not that simple. As for ppg all the guys playing with Crosby and Malkin have a better ppg. Shocking.

Brassard is a 6th overall pick that has been a top 6 forward and top 2 line centerman for more than half a decade on contending teams thats not selective he is a very good player.

I am not pissy either. The only one worked up right now is you, not sure why you had to lower yourself to personal insults, id suggest taking a walk to calm down before you get too angry about me saying Brassard has the third most points in the last 5 playoffs. It really shouldnt make you this upset.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

It's not about one or the other... Jarry is a complete non starter. Full stop. If there's a deal to be made elsewhere, I can see JR really looking at it (despite what some fans will think). But the odds of him moving Jarry this season are astronomical.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's hard to get anyone of value if your backup goalie with 20 career GP is untouchable.

As a Penguins fan, I think Jarry has been quite fortunate to have such a high SV% at this point as he too often takes himself out of position, and is only an average backup at the moment. And even Zatkoff put up a .915 with the Pens over 35 games yet wasn't an NHL-caliber goalie.

Doesn't mean you trade him when you have no real internal option to replace him (and no do not say DeSmith). DeSmith might get you a game or two, but he's not likely to win you a series - Jarry might. Add in that there's also no reason to move Jarry just because you're getting "value" or the other GM wants him. Brassard isn't worth that. Give him your best offer (and from reports its a steep one) and if he doesn't like it, tell him to f*** off and look elsewhere. We do not need Brassard that badly.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
Who has more points than Brassard over that period of time?... No one he has 55 points, being a consistent producer and veteran matters whether you like it or not. Its not a terrible point its a fact, it just doesnt go along with your narrative. My point was we are using specific isolated one line answeres to describe a player and its not that simple. As for ppg all the guys playing with Crosby and Malkin have a better ppg. Shocking.

Brassard is a 6th overall pick that has been a top 6 forward and top 2 line centerman for more than half a decade on contending teams thats not selective he is a very good player.

I am not pissy either. The only one worked up right now is you, not sure why you had to lower yourself to personal insults, id suggest taking a walk to calm down before you get too angry about me saying Brassard has the third most points in the last 5 playoffs. It really shouldn't make you this upset.

Are you suggesting that Brassard is 3rd in points over the last 5 playoff seasons? He is 8th, which is pretty good, and he is tied with Crosby and Malkin in games played.

I still do not believe that Brassard is the perfect fit for the Penguins. I understand why it looks so appealing, but at the cost of the future? I think they should look to add a solid two-way center who focuses on the pk. I still believe that Plekanec is the better fit, albeit worse, but much cheaper asset wise.

Sprong, Jarry, Gustavsson are all key assets for the future. The pens pride themselves on bringing in cheap players to fill key roles. They should not be trading them all away for one player.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Doesn't mean you trade him when you have no real internal option to replace him (and no do not say DeSmith). DeSmith might get you a game or two, but he's not likely to win you a series - Jarry might. Add in that there's also no reason to move Jarry just because you're getting "value" or the other GM wants him. Brassard isn't worth that. Give him your best offer (and from reports its a steep one) and if he doesn't like it, tell him to **** off and look elsewhere. We do not need Brassard that badly.
What do you have against DeSmith? In the games he’s played he has a better save % and GAA than Jarry.

Also if Jarry nets us a guy like Brassard, what is stopping us from going out and getting a serviceable backup like Cam Ward or something like that?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Uh what? He's 6th in PO points over that span (12/13 - 16/17) - behind Malkin, Crosby, Getzlaf, P.Kane and Toews.

If you're going to start spouting stats... at least get them right. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Reactions: rintinw

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What do you have against DeSmith? In the games he’s played he has a better save % and GAA than Jarry.

Also if Jarry nets us a guy like Brassard, what is stopping us from going out and getting a serviceable backup like Cam Ward or something like that?

Sample size for starters. Jarry has played 19 games... DeSmith 7. Or is it 20/8? - either way they're substantially different.

And honestly, nothing. I hope that DeSmith is the backup next season and Jarry spends most of it in the minors. But that's not reflective of their abilities, but their waiver statuses. I think DeSmith overall will be a fine backup. But I don't think he's someone who would steal a series for us. Not entirely sure that Jarry will... but I have a lot more faith in him doing it then DeSmith.

As for his stats... 2.41/.921 vs 2.23/.926 when taking sample size into consideration is minor enough that it's a non issue for me. Both are good... but I think Jarry is better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Insider Trading: Any Karlsson deal may need to include Ryan's contract

lebrun says pitt is balking at the first round pick that sens want

That's just weird to me to think that Rutherford is balking at including a 1st round pick. Let's be real here, Rutherford is the GM that traded a 1st rounder for Ryan Reaves like 8 months ago (not straight up, but he was the main piece coming back). Why is he suddenly afraid to trade a 1st for Brassard? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'm still holding out hope there's a different team or that the return is all picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->