Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just to play devil's advocate, but if Tanev's play holds up then he could be a steal in the last few years of his contract if the cap continues to go up and contracts are inflated.

Reactions: Razzle71

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Worst deal of this FA period (along with Myers).

What exactly is Rutherford doing??
First he trades Kessel, but why? Because the media were yelling their favorite expression shake things up! ? A trade just for the sake of trading? It couldn't have been a cap dump, because whatever they saved they invested now in a 25-point player.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The optimism from the first two pages of the thread before the terms were known is a little amusing and a little sad.

Reactions: Weiss1604

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JR leaving a nice gift for when hes retiring in a few years.
We all know Pens gonna suck in 2-3 years anyway.
Might as well add an albatross contract to help us get that next generational talent @1 overall a bit faster.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Just to play devil's advocate, but if Tanev's play holds up then he could be a steal in the last few years of his contract if the cap continues to go up and contracts are inflated.

True. If Seattle expansion raises the cap then this will be an ok deal. Still don't understand why a guy with one year of 3rd line production got himself a 6 year deal at 3rd line money.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It would be hilarious if it wasn’t my team. Both length and AAV is absolutely comical. No idea what the old man is thinking.

I’m sure I will continue to appreciate Tanev for the good things he brings, but the aber dabei will always be there.

21 million... to Brandon Tanev! Still having a hard time to even comprehend it.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Tanev is a good bottom 6 player so I'm not enraged at the idea of him on the Pens like I was with the Johnson deal last year, but the fact that they will likely have to trade Bryan Rust - a similar, better player - to accommodate this contract is bonkers. And the term speaks for itself. Good grief.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I thought the league was done giving out six year contracts to bottom sixers, it hardly ever works out. There's a chance Tanev is able to live up to it but there's no upside in giving out that term.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Only way this is worth it is if Tanev scores as much as he did last year or more every single year of the contract. 3.5 mil isn't a drastic overpayment for a 30-40 point player, but Tanev has only ALMOST scored 30 points once. I'd bet he ends up being more like a 20 point guy, which would be fine...for like, 2-3 years, 2 mil AAV tops? Just a total head-scratcher unless Rutherford et al have some dubious, secret analytics going on.

To be fair, by the 6th year of the deal, the Pens will be tanking for sure anyway.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Have the Pens fallen so low in the eyes of other players that we have to overpay this much for free agents? Guess our window is considered closed after all.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Have the Pens fallen so low in the eyes of other players that we have to overpay this much for free agents? Guess our window is considered closed after all.

There's no way this was an issue of "having" to do something. Rutherford just threw this contract at Tanev. Book it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Every team would love to have Tanev in their bottom 6 but to sign him to a 6 year deal at this amount is insane.

I honestly thought some team MIGHT take a chance and give him 2 year deal at 5 mill(2.5 per) at the VERY highest.. But a 6 year deal at 3.5 is absurd

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is this year's Jack Johnson contract. It also feels like this generation's Jeff Finger.

How does a 27 year old with ~200 NHL games to his name and 50'ish points in those games warrant a 6 year deal? And if that dude is being offered six years how come it isn't for like 1.5 a year? So weird.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This is this year's Jack Johnson contract. It also feels like this generation's Jeff Finger.

How does a 27 year old with ~200 NHL games to his name and 50'ish points in those games warrant a 6 year deal? And if that dude is being offered six years how come it isn't for like 1.5 a year? So weird.

Don't think it is quite as bad as Jack Johnson because Tanev at the least should be a good 4th liner whereas Johnson even on the bottom pairing is a problem (unless you run a 10 minute bottom pairing, which the Pens don't have the top 4 to do). He's also 27 whereas Johnson was 31 when he signed his 5 years.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Don't think it is quite as bad as Jack Johnson because Tanev at the least should be a good 4th liner whereas Johnson even on the bottom pairing is a problem (unless you run a 10 minute bottom pairing, which the Pens don't have the top 4 to do). He's also 27 whereas Johnson was 31 when he signed his 5 years.
Yeah, you're right. Take solace in the fact that the most recent bad contract isn't the worse of the two. You guys have had tons of success over the years, so I'm not exactly rooting for you. But these signings just don't seem productive in prolonging the Cup winning years in Pittsburgh.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Perhaps the plan is to have him play on the first or second line. Then that contract would be a bargain

That could certainly happen, the only lock is Guentzel with Crosby. All the other wingers will bounce up and down the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00