Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Worst deal of this FA period (along with Myers).

What exactly is Rutherford doing??
First he trades Kessel, but why? Because the media were yelling their favorite expression shake things up! ? A trade just for the sake of trading? It couldn't have been a cap dump, because whatever they saved they invested now in a 25-point player.
He traded Kessel because he had become difficult with the coaches. There have been a couple of articles out about it. He had to move Kessel out. It wasn’t trading for the sake of trading.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
This is a completely stupid contract and if you say otherwise you have absolutely no idea how cap $ should be allocated. Just dumb. By the most overrated gm in the game.
No argument with most of it but about 28 GMs in this league right now would love to have Rutherford's track record.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just to play devil's advocate, but if Tanev's play holds up then he could be a steal in the last few years of his contract if the cap continues to go up and contracts are inflated.

Or if he continues developing a little more. I think people forget that he has less than 200 NHL games under his belt.

Reactions: FireChevy

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Tanev is a good bottom 6 player so I'm not enraged at the idea of him on the Pens like I was with the Johnson deal last year, but the fact that they will likely have to trade Bryan Rust - a similar, better player - to accommodate this contract is bonkers. And the term speaks for itself. Good grief.

If Rust was a "similar player" to Tanev, Tanev wouldn't have been signed.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Jim Rutherford is the spiritual clone of Ed Woodward.
Ed Woodward throws money at big name players who dont/wont fit in his team's system because they're big names. Rutherford throws money at middling players/reclamation projects because he thinks he knows better than everyone else. The sad thing is, when he does it via trade, half the time Rutherford is right and the player experiences a dramatic turnaround and makes him look smart. That never seems to happen at Man Utd. Everyone just seems to get worse, immediately or slowly.

If Rutherford thought like Woodward, he would've signed Kessel to a lifetime deal, no matter how bad the Pens were, because he puts butts in seats and sells jerseys. And then released an announcement video of him eating some hot dogs at a piano.

If Rutherford reminds me of anyone right now its Gransikova at Chelsea. A bunch of deadweight and bad signings that cant be shifted, and now they essentially have to be played in the first team. And you have panic signings coming in, blocking the way of agile and hungry youngsters that can probably do the job just fine.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
“We felt so strong about Tanev that we were willing to go as far as we had to go to make sure we got him,” Rutherford said. “You never know with any player, the term of the contract, whether it works, how long it’s going to work, but it’s what you have to do to get the player.”
Penguins sign ‘fast and tenacious’ winger Brandon Tanev | TribLIVE.com

Sounds like he had his mind set and was going to get him no matter what. Likely had to outbid a few teams as he's the type of player everyone wants.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
I’m going to go on record and say that this will be a good deal when the dust settles (which may take a couple of seasons). He will continue his stellar play away from the puck, and will gain 10-20 points by playing with Sid.

And this has no bearing on the fact that he’s on my salary-cap dynasty team... none at all... not wishful thinking... not at all.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I really wanted Tanev on the Panthers, but after seeing this ludicrous contract.....no thanks.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It is almost like the Pens haven’t learned anything from the Jack Johnson fiasco. Or Gudbranson.
First, Gudbranson was good for the Pens. It might not make sense but he was. Second, clearly JR learned from the JJ signing. He learned that if he is going to give ridiculous term to a player at least make sure they can play a little. JJ can't. Tanev can.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Ed Woodward throws money at big name players who dont/wont fit in his team's system because they're big names. Rutherford throws money at middling players/reclamation projects because he thinks he knows better than everyone else. The sad thing is, when he does it via trade, half the time Rutherford is right and the player experiences a dramatic turnaround and makes him look smart. That never seems to happen at Man Utd. Everyone just seems to get worse, immediately or slowly.

If Rutherford thought like Woodward, he would've signed Kessel to a lifetime deal, no matter how bad the Pens were, because he puts butts in seats and sells jerseys. And then released an announcement video of him eating some hot dogs at a piano.

If Rutherford reminds me of anyone right now its Gransikova at Chelsea. A bunch of deadweight and bad signings that cant be shifted, and now they essentially have to be played in the first team. And you have panic signings coming in, blocking the way of agile and hungry youngsters that can probably do the job just fine.

Fair enough I was pointing more at handing out long contracts with high wages to middling players *cough* Phil Jones *cough*

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Tanev is a good bottom 6 player so I'm not enraged at the idea of him on the Pens like I was with the Johnson deal last year, but the fact that they will likely have to trade Bryan Rust - a similar, better player - to accommodate this contract is bonkers. And the term speaks for itself. Good grief.

This is the crux of it honestly.

Tanev is a good player and I wish my team had gotten him. But because he is overpaid by about 750k to 1 mil, someone, a decent someone, will have to be moved NOW. Not three seasons from now when the cap is higher, but right now, this summer.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We really needed a player like him. I guess I’m okay with it if there was truly a bunch of competition among GMs to sign him, as free agents often get slightly overpaid for that reason.

If he continues his play, 3.5m is manageable. The term is what I really don’t get at all, but I guess it’s possible Tanev absolutely kills it and we’d be lucky to have him for 6 years. Just seems risky though cuz he could easily shit the bed.

Reallyyyyyyy needs to get rid of JJ now though. I wonder if anyone would take Hallander+JJ for like a 3rd or 4th or something.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is the crux of it honestly.

Tanev is a good player and I wish my team had gotten him. But because he is overpaid by about 750k to 1 mil, someone, a decent someone, will have to be moved NOW. Not three seasons from now when the cap is higher, but right now, this summer.

It's understandable that people love Bryan Rust. He had some great playoffs in the b2b runs. But he had a rough season last year and his POs the past 2 years (17/18 & 18/19) were very meh. Even Rutherford has hinted that he's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago. And honestly if Rust and Tanev were "similar" players, Tanev wouldn't have been signed. The odds are good that even if we trade Rust (which is my expectation), that Tanev will in addition to bringing things to the table that Rust doesn't, that he will be able to replace Rust's production - especially if he can spend 66% of his icetime with Crosby or Malkin.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Solid fourth liner who can get hot and score in bunches. Always hustles. As long as your coach doesn't overplay him he's a great add.
Lol good thing he's playing for a coach that will literally over play him in situations he shouldn't be in like he did all last year with several players.

I like Tanev though, wanted the Pens to sign him but the length of the deal is weird for a bottom 6 player.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
One ofnthebmain justifications insane for the Kessel trade was for the savings in capspace.

Which they immediately wasted on a mediocre 4th liner

Not sure where you got that from but the main reasons to trade Kessel were not to save cap. That’s wrong.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
One ofnthebmain justifications insane for the Kessel trade was for the savings in capspace.

Which they immediately wasted on a mediocre 4th liner
Reasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 to trade Kessel were that his deficiencies greatly began to outweigh his strengths. It was time for him to go.

And there's really no justification you can make to declare Tanev as mediocre.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
90% of Jets fans wanted him to stay ...he is that well liked for his tenacity.
Had we not been in a season of so many others to sign he would have gotten a raise here, likely not that much but good on him.
You never know could put up even more points this year.
Great team player I think he’ll surprise you.
He’s going to be missed in the Peg.!

Reactions: Hockey4Lyfe

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Seems like an overpayment in terms of $ and years. And I don't think the Pens should pay this much for a player like him.. they gotta focus on trimming the fat, not adding a lot of shit. I dunno, maybe that's just me?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The Jets brass and fans wanted Tanev kept pretty universally. But we knew we wouldn't be able to match the types of offers he would get in free agency. The length and term is certainly not the right move but I think a lot of these over the top negative comments are from people who don't know much about him.

Tanev's scoring and play really had a boost in the 2017 - 18 season. He was a beast in the Jets 2018 Western Conference Final run (4 goals in 17 playoff games). He had 8 goals by X-MAS last year and I think if Maurice had left his usual line together is 2nd half stats would have looked more like the first half.

Anyone calling Tanev a 4th liner hasn't paid attention to his usage. The Copp-Lowry-Tanev shut down line was commonly used against the best lines on other teams. That line often got the 2nd most minutes on the team behind Scheifele's line. Tanev is a shot blocking machine and some how never gets hurt from those blocked shots.

He'll outwork virtually every player on his team and is great on the fore check and PK.

The term and money are a bit off (especially the term) but that ship has sailed. Pens fans have reasons to not like the signing but they will like the player.

Reactions: slurpee addict

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Kind of makes sense, they haven't really had a Dupuis to play a fast all over the ice game since Dupuis retired. Hornqvist is too slow, Guentzel is too finesse, Rust isn't quite the same, Sheary did it for a bid but couldn't consistently do it. McCann isn't quite there either.

Guessing they're gonna stick him with Crosby and Guentzel with Malkin and see if he can ride shotgun to 50-60 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad