Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I was low key hoping the Leafs could make something work with him.

Ah well.

Not enough cap space, i believe Tanev will make north of 2M. Teams around the league must see how useful he can be. Really fast skater, good on the PK and over the last couple years improved his 5on5 game to a point where calling him a legit 3rd liner isn't a stretch.

Any team out there looking for help in their bottom 6 should have been looking at Tanev, and i believe a lot of teams did.

Interesting to see what the number is going to be.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Don’t know much about him, wonder what his price tag is.

Really hope it’s cheap and JR didn’t overpay.

I was hoping for Wilson.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Solid fourth liner who can get hot and score in bunches. Always hustles. As long as your coach doesn't overplay him he's a great add.

If I know anything about NHL coaches, it's that solid North American fourth liners who hustle will always be overplayed...

Either way Tanev is the exact kind of bottom sixer the Pens needed.

Reactions: MardyBum

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Why are the Pens interested in forwards? They need a 345 LD so Jack Johnson can be the 78 D. Plus no cap space.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
If I know anything about NHL coaches, it's that solid North American fourth liners who hustle will always be overplayed...

Either way Tanev is the exact kind of bottom sixer the Pens needed.

If you're a Pens fan, you need to pray for reasonable deal.

You can have 1 or 2 slightly overpaid depth players. You can't construct a team like that.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Good Shutdown winger for them. Plays a heavy high energy game, warrior and good PK’er. glad to see him out of WPG lol

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I love Tanev and he was my number 1 hope going into free agency given the Penguins cap crunch.

Doing an insane job of getting younger and adding team speed.

For once it seems like the FO has an identity to what they are trying to accomplish.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I like it, the Penguins have too many vanilla bottom-6 forwards and Tanev is anything but vanilla. He may not be super great offensively, but he's fast, feisty and physical.

My first thought. The Penguins just got a lot more annoying to play. Hornqvist is there another annoying player but he is hurt all the time so getting Tanev really helps them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->