Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
In addition to other attributes already mentioned, Tanev was by far the most consistent Jet for the last couple years. You get the exact same thing from him every. single. game.

Not necessarily trying to justify the contract but just thought that was worth mentioning.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
No, there are some very big similarities: all are big, physical, marginally skilled players who fit on the bottom-6/3rd pairing brought in for way too much money and way too much term and they were all contracts that we all knew from the moment they were signed were pretty bad.

And they were all signed by Jim Rutherford.

Actually... I did learn something: Ryan Reeves also deserves to be on that same list. He was brought in for a similar reason, and the Pens similarly grossly overpaid for him (this time losing a first rather then just signing an anchor contract as a FA).

This is not a good description of Tanev. He’s not physical for the sake of physical, and really isn’t all that big. He’s a speedy puck retriever who gets in on the forecheck, wins races to loose pucks and one-on-one battles. He’s essentially the same player as Zach Hyman is for the Leafs, similar enough that if they switched uniforms most fans wouldn't know the difference.

Reactions: smitty10

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Have you looked at the Penguins roster?

It’s pretty well stacked at the forward position. Right up there with probably one of the best in the league. He’s going to have an almost impossible time getting into that first line winger like people continuously bring up.

The only major glaring hole on the Penguins right now is Jack Johnson playing any sort of minutes.

Other than that, their team is basically set in stone.

JR can be quoted about Tanev contributing in the Top 6. He thinks he's capable of doing it. This is not me spitballing.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
In addition to other attributes already mentioned, Tanev was by far the most consistent Jet for the last couple years. You get the exact same thing from him every. single. game.

Not necessarily trying to justify the contract but just thought that was worth mentioning.
I’ve got no problem with the salary really. It’s realistically 750k to much IMO. But it’s free agency most of the time you have to overpay when you are targeting specific players unless they only want to come play for your team. It’s just the term. It’s at least 2 years to long. By then our window will be closed so even if he falls off of a cliff play wise due to his style of play it’s not like it’ll kill us along with a raising cap. But it’s only the term of this deal that makes me dislike it.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Pens forward group is easily better than Boston. Washington is closer but i'd still go with Pitt

I think you're wrong kn the easy part. Especially if someone had to be moved to pay Pettersson or ZAR (if he's even kept).

The problem really comes down to Johnson and Gubrandson being paid 7.5 million. You move them and get competent D for the same price (which really isn't difficult), Pens look a lot better.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Honestly, JR signed him that long knowing he won't be here in six years. So to get the player he wanted, he pretty much said "eff it" and let the other next GM deal with the consequences. He's a terrible GM, absolutely terrible even with the Cup wins.

Reactions: Pengwins

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I think you're wrong kn the easy part. Especially if someone had to be moved to pay Pettersson or ZAR (if he's even kept).

The problem really comes down to Johnson and Gubrandson being paid 7.5 million. You move them and get competent D for the same price (which really isn't difficult), Pens look a lot better.

Once again, I wish people would actually look at how he performed and the advanced stats and stopped just throwing out non sense.

Gudbranson performed very well in his time here. Much better than a lot of our other Dmen.

Reactions: Pengwins

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Once again, I wish people would actually look at how he performed and the advanced stats and stopped just throwing out non sense.

Gudbranson performed very well in his time here. Much better than a lot of our other Dmen.

I'm not arguing he performed better than he did in Vancouver, where he was terrible. If you think that production is worth 4 million, then I would say that's nuts.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017

Truth. Maatta and JJ were the problems. 1 of them is already gone

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I'm not arguing he performed better than he did in Vancouver, where he was terrible. If you think that production is worth 4 million, then I would say that's nuts.

He performed here like he was a $4 million a year salary. I’d argue more actually.

He played very tough minutes here and succeeded in them. He played like a 3 defenseman here.

Outside of Letang and Doumolin he was our most reliable guy. A 3 dman gets paid $4 million a year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This thread was amusing to read through just now. The first page is nothing but "great signing," "Aw, I wanted my team to grab him" and "I like it." Every page after that has been "LOL" and "worst contract of this offseason!" It's not every day that you see such a synchronized reversal of opinion.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This thread was amusing to read through just now. The first page is nothing but "great signing," "Aw, I wanted my team to grab him" and "I like it." Every page after that has been "LOL" and "worst contract of this offseason!" It's not every day that you see such a synchronized reversal of opinion.

These potato chips are pretty good, wait you paid $6 for these? You're nuts!

Reactions: deflowd

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
This is not a good description of Tanev. He’s not physical for the sake of physical, and really isn’t all that big. He’s a speedy puck retriever who gets in on the forecheck, wins races to loose pucks and one-on-one battles. He’s essentially the same player as Zach Hyman is for the Leafs, similar enough that if they switched uniforms most fans wouldn't know the difference.
I mean, aside from the fact that Hyman scores a lot more points and has a $1.25 million lower cap hit.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Over Boston and Washington? Respectfully disagree.

I like ours better than Washington - way better depth. They might have the edge over us with the top 5 forwards, but when looking at the depth each forward group has, we have them pretty easily. And I'm not even sure how Boston is in the conversation here...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I wanted Tanev as a depth option in Vancouver since we have his brother, and wouldn't have minded that price. $3.5m is pennies nowadays - literally exactly average pay for an NHLer on a 23-man roster, and Tanev will assuredly bring much more than your average plug.

People seem to conflate guys who happen to play low minutes/fourth line time on a call-up or in limited action with good depth players. There is a massive difference between Cal O'Reilly and Brandon Tanev.

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I like ours better than Washington - way better depth. They might have the edge over us with the top 5 forwards, but when looking at the depth each forward group has, we have them pretty easily. And I'm not even sure how Boston is in the conversation here...
Agree to disagree. I like WSH depth more but I’m biased as are you.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Feel like it's worth bumping at this point, Tanev has been awesome for the Penguins. Now up to 5 goals and 11 points in 21 games while playing almost exclusively in a defensive bottom-6 role, while he has excellent defensive analytics, is drawing a **** load of penalties and is on pace for like 250 hits. He's been an absolute gem for the Penguins, he's well worth the $3.5 million AAV.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Feel like it's worth bumping at this point, Tanev has been awesome for the Penguins. Now up to 5 goals and 11 points in 21 games while playing almost exclusively in a defensive bottom-6 role, while he has excellent defensive analytics, is drawing a **** load of penalties and is on pace for like 250 hits. He's been an absolute gem for the Penguins, he's well worth the $3.5 million AAV.

He has been amazing for my fantasy team as well!

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Knowledgeable fans didn't have any problem woth the 3.5M... they had problems with that 6 year contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Knowledgeable fans didn't have any problem woth the 3.5M... they had problems with that 6 year contract.

Which most likely won't matter, because Crosby and Malkin will be around 37 by year 5 in that deal. If you can get 3-4 good years out of Tanev, you're completely happy to give him 2 too many years. Getting a good player for 3-4 years with an albatross for the last 2-3 years is better than not having the player at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad