Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Which most likely won't matter, because Crosby and Malkin will be around 37 by year 5 in that deal. If you can get 3-4 good years out of Tanev, you're completely happy to give him 2 too many years. Getting a good player for 3-4 years with an albatross for the last 2-3 years is better than not having the player at all.

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the Tanev deal. Well the second thing actually. The first thing was "damnit, the Penguins just got harder to play against". The second thing was that they were planning around a big drop off in 5 years.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Which most likely won't matter, because Crosby and Malkin will be around 37 by year 5 in that deal. If you can get 3-4 good years out of Tanev, you're completely happy to give him 2 too many years. Getting a good player for 3-4 years with an albatross for the last 2-3 years is better than not having the player at all.

Agreed. One thing to keep in mind is the effects of this "new TV deal" that some have said will really skyrocket the cap. Right now at $81mil, Tanev has been a very effective player for us at $3.5mil. In order obtain the depth needed to win in the playoffs, you need those "good deals". If Tanev can provide this level of play (or rather effectiveness) for the future AND the cap goes way up, the contract is just that much better in value.

If things go the other way but the cap still goes up, it's may be similar to have a "meh" $2mil player on the roster. That doesn't kill a team like a $4-5mil player might today.

Overall though, he's been a great addition for us. Very happy with the signing.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
I used to watch a decent amount of WPG games because they had a lot of players I enjoyed watching. Tanev surprised me by becoming one of those players. He was only a depth guy but he was a buzzsaw out there. It reminded me of Hagelin or Rust in how you're almost always happy with their shift even if you were a little bit frustrated because they don't finish as much as it seems they should.

Despite that I wasn't happy with the signing at the time because we had plenty of internal options for depth guys and the contract was too much for too long. Very happy to be completely wrong on that front (at least to this point). He's scoring at a much better pace than I thought possible for him and his underlying numbers, particularly defensively, are very good.

CA/60 rel: -6.05
FA/60 rel: -3.91
SA/60 rel: -1.84
xGA/60 rel: -0.32
SCA/60 rel: -4.74
HDCA/60 rel: -2.92

according to Natural Stat Trick, and all this while starting the majority of his shifts in the D zone and having a 0.987 PDO. Guy stands out defensively even despite getting sub 0.900 sv% goaltending behind him while he's on the ice.

He's been terrific and embodies what this team is all about when playing at their best - speed and tenacity.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We loved him in Winnipeg, I'm happy that Pens fans are coming around. We would have loved to keep him, but not at that contract with the cap space problem this year and next.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Tanev is missed in Winnipeg but there is no way the Jets could afford that contract!
I am quite surprised that his defensive & offensive numbers have both picked up!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The problem isn't the AAV -- it's the term.

Bump it in 4 years.

...and 4 years is about what they need out of him. In years 5 and 6 he will be trade bait for a rebuild.

JR thought Tanev was a guy that the team needed to compete (he was correct) and in order to land him he gave him term, which is irrelevant in terms of the team. I think you will see the Pens make quite a few of these deals in the coming years for guys that they feel will help the team win now. When the window is closed, these guys will have 1-2 years left, and will be used to kick start a rebuild.

Reactions: Dominance

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Pens window will be closed beyond the 4th year of the deal. So yes the term is to long on his deal but the last year or two of it will be irrelevant. And he should be able to be traded anyways at that point. 3.5m is a completely appropriate cap hit for what he brings, and he has earned every cent of it this season up to this point. If he continues as he has up to this point for a full season and into a post season you could argue he is even slightly under valued at 3.5m. So I winced at the contract in the off season, but I am happy about the signing now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm scared to look back to see what I wrote at the time of the signing.

Please don't be too damning. Please don't be too damning.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
There were a lot of people saying this was the worst deal of the off-season. Crazy how wrong that has been.

He's on Pace for 40ish points, while drawing a ton of penalties, and playing excellent defense. He's also a key to our 2016 revival of speed.

As it's stated his contract length is moot. The pens are looking at the next 4 years. Honestly he's worth more than 3.5M if he keeps this up.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I miss Tanev. One of the best energy guys in the league. Hits anything that moves, hes fast, gets under opponents skin, and a great pker. I wish we had the cap for him in Winnipeg but thrilled hes doing great on the Penguins.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Really wanted the Panthers to sign him in free agency. He's an awesome player, his contract is a bit too rich imo though.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I have wanted him on the Islanders for years now. Unfortunately, two contracts (Komarov and Hickey) made it too risky to put that much more money on the bottom six.

But Tanev is terrific in the role he plays and he can easily improve any lineup. Health (as it is the risk for all players) will be the only determination of how good of a deal this was.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
The pens had severely missed what Hagelin brought to the team in his first couple of years with them, Insane Speed to keep D-men honest, High level PK ability, Constant Disruptive Fore-check, and just a solid overall Defensive play to a point where you don't have to worry about your team getting burned when he's on the ice. They finally got that now with this Tanev signing. Albeit at a little more of a premium, but still worth it.

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The best thing about Tanev is his work ethic. Down by 4 goals, he's still giving it 110% on the forecheck when the rest of the team has given up. The Jets are visibly slower and less aggressive without him on the team (though we still pull off come-back wins somehow). He's a rare talent.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Looks to me like his last season with Winnipeg wasn't a one off. And if that's the case, he's absolutely worth his contract for the foreseeable future. 15/15 guy with his speed and ability to draw penalties is absolutely worth 3+ mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad