Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The problem with this is that Horny and Geno have never really clicked. Rust is well... pretty mediocre as well.

Yep. If anything Tanev will be with Malkin. Also don’t foresee Blueger not being in the lineup. He should be the 4th line C.

Don’t see Rust, ZAR and Tanev being on the opening day roster. Something is going to happen with one of them.

McCann can move up and down the lineup as needed. That’s Florida deal was a steal because of him being in it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Tanev will be great on Crosby's wing. Lots of hustle and heart, will complement his style. He'll be the next Dupuis.

Guentzel - Crosby - Tanev
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornvist
Rust - Bjugstad - Kahun
ZAR - McCann - Simon

Are you seriously advocating Tanev in the top 6?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If you had told me yesterday the Pens would sign Brandon Tanev for 6 years and that AAV I'd have thought you were insane.

Why not just come out and admit that you're jealous the Avs didn't sign him?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Tanev will be great on Crosby's wing. Lots of hustle and heart, will complement his style. He'll be the next Dupuis.

Guentzel - Crosby - Tanev
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornvist
Rust - Bjugstad - Kahun
ZAR - McCann - Simon
If this is truly what happens, and I doubt it is, you should be terrified.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If I know anything about NHL coaches, it's that solid North American fourth liners who hustle will always be overplayed...

Either way Tanev is the exact kind of bottom sixer the Pens needed.

Turns out solid North American fourth liners who hustle will also get overpaid for way too goddamned long.

I take back my prior appreciation for adding this kind of player to the roster. That term and cap hit is utterly absurd and if this is what it costs to get someone on July 1 then don't f***ing sign anyone on July 1.

I hate questioning the competency of a man with 3 rings and just got a deserved HoF induction...but Johnson last year and Tanev this year reeks of a GM knowing he's going to retire long before these awful contracts end.

We all knew the future was going to be rough, but stop making the next GM have to spend significant assets to get rid of these obviously horrible contracts that don't even make the current team better (in certain situations much, much worse). f***ing hell.

Reactions: Weiss1604

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
I suspect JR thinks he has the next Kunitz to play on Crosby's wing. Someone who can score 20 goals and do the dirty work on Sid's line and complement his grinder mentality.

He is 14g and 29 points winger with elite skating and work ethic. He can handle tough matchups and is good in d-zone. Good playoff performer. I think he can be a perfect fit for Penguins.

Yes, term is long and AAV is high, but those things doesn't matter. Penguins are in win now mode next 2-3 years and adding Tanev is an important piece of that puzzle. After that is tanking time anyway...

Reactions: Readytostart

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
He is 14g and 29 points winger with elite skating and work ethic. He can handle tough matchups and is good in d-zone. Good playoff performer. I think he can be a perfect fit for Penguins.

Yes, term is long and AAV is high, but those things doesn't matter. Penguins are in win now mode next 2-3 years and adding Tanev is an important piece of that puzzle. After that is tanking time anyway...
But that's not who he is. That's the production he got in a career year where most of his goals were gifts off turnovers or fluky deflections or terrible shots that somehow went in. He will be extremely lucky to produce half of that in any season over this contract. His skating also isn't elite. He's just very, very fast. Work ethic? I'll give you that but if you're paying this amount of money for a guy this mediocre, he better have a damn good work ethic.

Reactions: Vegeta

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

The problem is the Penguins are a *bubble* team at this point in time and keep using salary cap space in the dumbest f***ing way possible.

You go all-in, bubble or not, because the future is dim and you have superstars who can still bring it. But you don't go all-in by signing the Jack Johnsons and Brandon Tanevs of the world to massive term when they're not even worth their cap hit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From listening to JR's comments, I'm willing to guess he at least spends some time in the top-6 with the Penguins. He wouldn't be the first defensive winger to explode in Pittsburgh, so I don't think it's fair to say it's a horrible idea already. I'm taking a wait and see approach with him, because if he continues the upward trend he has shown in his career, he may be able to provide exactly what Hagelin provided outside of his HBK run.

If he's a 30-35 point winger who brings speed, physicality and defense while fitting somewhere in their top-9, I'm completely happy with the deal. Sure, it's still too long, but getting that out of him is worth $3.5 million and I'll worry about his contract when he starts sucking.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I mean, this is serious mismanagement the last two offseasons. The Pens chances of winning are pretty much dead. Furthermore, they are driving out Malkin. Well done folks. Well, well, weellllll done.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean, this is serious mismanagement the last two offseasons. The Pens chances of winning are pretty much dead. Furthermore, they are driving out Malkin. Well done folks. Well, well, weellllll done.

Absolutely none of this is true.

Well done on the try of the post. Weeelllll done

Reactions: Vegeta and BC Ben

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
But that's not who he is. That's the production he got in a career year where most of his goals were gifts off turnovers or fluky deflections or terrible shots that somehow went in. He will be extremely lucky to produce half of that in any season over this contract. His skating also isn't elite. He's just very, very fast. Work ethic? I'll give you that but if you're paying this amount of money for a guy this mediocre, he better have a damn good work ethic.

I really think that this is his real level. His shooting% was 11 and he outscored every other bottom 6 players in Jets except Perrault. (1 point difference) I don't think it was a fluke.

About his skating. Yes he is very very fast, one part of that is his high level athletism and one part is his excellent skating abilities. He can do more than just go fast in straight line.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I really think that this is his real level. His shooting% was 11 and he outscored every other bottom 6 players in Jets except Perrault. (1 point difference) I don't think it was a fluke.

About his skating. Yes he is very very fast, one part of that is his high level athletism and one part is his excellent skating abilities. He can do more than just go fast in straight line.
All I can say is, if you think that's Brandon Tanev's real level you are going to be extremely disappointed.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad