Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I’m going to go on record and say that this will be a good deal when the dust settles (which may take a couple of seasons). He will continue his stellar play away from the puck, and will gain 10-20 points by playing with Sid.

And this has no bearing on the fact that he’s on my salary-cap dynasty team... none at all... not wishful thinking... not at all.

If this player is playing with Crosby... oh my....

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
It is almost like the Pens haven’t learned anything from the Jack Johnson fiasco. Or Gudbranson.

I don't understand why people superficially paint all situations with the same brush. All three players were brought in for completely different reasons under completely different circumstances. Are they three players who consensus is that they're paid too much for too long? Yes. That's it. Maybe you can learn something as well.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand why people superficially paint all situations with the same brush. All three players were brought in for completely different reasons under completely different circumstances. Are they three players who consensus is that they're paid too much for too long? Yes. That's it. Maybe you can learn something as well.

No, there are some very big similarities: all are big, physical, marginally skilled players who fit on the bottom-6/3rd pairing brought in for way too much money and way too much term and they were all contracts that we all knew from the moment they were signed were pretty bad.

And they were all signed by Jim Rutherford.

Actually... I did learn something: Ryan Reeves also deserves to be on that same list. He was brought in for a similar reason, and the Pens similarly grossly overpaid for him (this time losing a first rather then just signing an anchor contract as a FA).

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
That's a good signing for them. A lot of moving pieces going on in Pitts.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No, there are some very big similarities: all are big, physical, marginally skilled players who fit on the bottom-6/3rd pairing brought in for way too much money and way too much term and they were all contracts that we all knew from the moment they were signed were pretty bad.

And they were all signed by Jim Rutherford.

Actually... I did learn something: Ryan Reeves also deserves to be on that same list. He was brought in for a similar reason, and the Pens similarly grossly overpaid for him (this time losing a first rather then just signing an anchor contract as a FA).
Gudbranson was traded for, and looks good so far.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

There's no denying there's a trend going on here, different reasons or not.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

The reasons for being brought in aren't as important as the common denominator. By and large, committing long term, and 6 years is well past the minimum threshold for "long term", to a guy with as few skins on the wall as Brandon Tanev is just an obviously silly move. It begs the question, "who was Rutherford bidding against?" Was there a team out there offering this dude 4-5 years at this salary? And this is a team that has won the Cup 2 of the last 4 years.

Reactions: BHD

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm not an advanced stats guy at all but was poking around a bit trying to find the silver lining to this. Tanev's offensive zone starts are below 25%. He also has a high percentage of his assists being the coveted first assists. It doesn't seem like he's ever been given a shot in an offensive role.

Regarding the speculation above that Guentzel might play with Malkin - that is crazy talk. Guentzel and Crosby are amazing together. Guentzel is one of the few that thinks the game like Crosby.

Reactions: BHD

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I think on a team more cap space and better roster composition, this move isn't bad. Because Brandon Tanev is a useful and somewhat unique player. I know it's really memey to say, but he truly is a heart and soul player that every team in the league would take if asked because what he does have has a ton of value - special speed, buzz-saw tenacity to work corners, totally willing to sacrifice his body to make plays. His offensive toolset and overall hockey IQ are probably below average though, which is why he's been relegated to the bottom six. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

The problem is, Rutherford totally thinks he can be useful in the Top 6. But he's been an offensive black hole and his defensive game I think benefited a ton from Lowry and Copp. And that shows a frightening disconnect from reality for an NHL GM. I think even when Johnson and Gubrandson were acquired, JR understood what they were. He just overvalued them.

Here I worry it's a perfect storm of totally misunderstanding a players use AND value.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The term and AAV on that deal makes it one of the most questionable signings this offseason IMO. I really don't like it...and I haven't read anything in this thread prior to this opinion. I like Tanev as a player but even at 3 years with that AAV, I would consider that deal a bit above market value....at 6 years, that's ridicolous to me.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I think on a team more cap space and better roster composition, this move isn't bad. Because Brandon Tanev is a useful and somewhat unique player. I know it's really memey to say, but he truly is a heart and soul player that every team in the league would take if asked because what he does have has a ton of value - special speed, buzz-saw tenacity to work corners, totally willing to sacrifice his body to make plays. His offensive toolset and overall hockey IQ are probably below average though, which is why he's been relegated to the bottom six. And there isn't anything wrong with that.

The problem is, Rutherford totally thinks he can be useful in the Top 6. But he's been an offensive black hole and his defensive game I think benefited a ton from Lowry and Copp. And that shows a frightening disconnect from reality for an NHL GM. I think even when Johnson and Gubrandson were acquired, JR understood what they were. He just overvalued them.

Here I worry it's a perfect storm of totally misunderstanding a players use AND value.

Have you looked at the Penguins roster?

It’s pretty well stacked at the forward position. Right up there with probably one of the best in the league. He’s going to have an almost impossible time getting into that first line winger like people continuously bring up.

The only major glaring hole on the Penguins right now is Jack Johnson playing any sort of minutes.

Other than that, their team is basically set in stone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Have you looked at the Penguins roster?

It’s pretty well stacked at the forward position. Right up there with probably one of the best in the league. He’s going to have an almost impossible time getting into that first line winger like people continuously bring up.

The only major glaring hole on the Penguins right now is Jack Johnson playing any sort of minutes.

Other than that, their team is basically set in stone.

Pittsburgh from 2017 sure. The forward depth in 2020 is certainly not top five without Kessel.

Tampa
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Washington

In the East alone are deeper offensively.

Reactions: Luminiferous

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Pittsburgh from 2017 sure. The forward depth in 2020 is certainly not top five without Kessel.

Tampa
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Washington

In the East alone are deeper offensively.

I’d take the Pens current forward group over them all except Tampa.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I didn't make the trade.
The “Royal You” as in Pens fans, for taking (willingly or not) that headache off the minds of anyone who watches Vancouver.

Although now the Canucks have Tyler Myers at a ridiculous $6 million AAV so... yeah. Sucks all around sometimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->