Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Brandon Tanev signs with the Penguins (6 years, $3.5M AAV)

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Gross. Don't like the term one bit. He's a bottom pairing guy and one should never give those players term. Rutherford obviously working under the the thought of it won't be his problem in a few years so who cares. This contract is one of the worst of the day.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Tanev will be great on Crosby's wing. Lots of hustle and heart, will complement his style. He'll be the next Dupuis.

Guentzel - Crosby - Tanev
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornvist
Rust - Bjugstad - Kahun
ZAR - McCann - Simon
What I'm hearing in this post is that Tanev is Colby Armstrong 2.0

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I watched every Jets game over the last 3 years loved T.L.C . (Tanev/Lowry/Copp).

It’s too bad we had to break up the band.

Having said that I would rather have Copp/ or Lowry than Tanev and both of them will make less than Tanev.

Gross over pay........ T he worse thing for Pitts. Is that his value is in his effort and after this fat cat contract is effort level probably will drop and you have a albatrosses contract on the books. or he tries to play the same way and gets hurt all the time for 6 years.

My cut bait level as a Jet fan on retaining him was 3 years 2 million per!7

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
From listening to JR's comments, I'm willing to guess he at least spends some time in the top-6 with the Penguins. He wouldn't be the first defensive winger to explode in Pittsburgh, so I don't think it's fair to say it's a horrible idea already. I'm taking a wait and see approach with him, because if he continues the upward trend he has shown in his career, he may be able to provide exactly what Hagelin provided outside of his HBK run.

If he's a 30-35 point winger who brings speed, physicality and defense while fitting somewhere in their top-9, I'm completely happy with the deal. Sure, it's still too long, but getting that out of him is worth $3.5 million and I'll worry about his contract when he starts sucking.

And the clock starts..... now

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Hfboards - "Johnson LOSER! Pathetic contract!"
Johnson - "Everyone is so mean, stop picking on me, I'm poor cause my parents stole everything... :("
Rutherford - "Hold my medicine cabinet, I got you bro"

Signs Tanev

Johnson - "LMAO at this Tanev contract, BRUTAL, let's jump this fool"
HFboards - "Who the f*** is Johnson?"

Reactions: Casanova

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
JR gets his new version of Chad LaRose, and likely couldn’t be happier.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I watched every Jets game over the last 3 years loved T.L.C . (Tanev/Lowry/Copp).

It’s too bad we had to break up the band.

Having said that I would rather have Copp/ or Lowry than Tanev and both of them will make less than Tanev.

Gross over pay........ T he worse thing for Pitts. Is that his value is in his effort and after this fat cat contract is effort level probably will drop and you have a albatrosses contract on the books. or he tries to play the same way and gets hurt all the time for 6 years.

My cut bait level as a Jet fan on retaining him was 3 years 2 million per!7
I'm certain Lowry will make more if he hits the open market.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
As an impartial hockey fan - I thought this was a great deal.

I think Tanev has a little more upside then some people think.

I think he can moonlight as a winger on the Top 2 lines, play 2nd line PP, be a PK beast, give great 5 on 5 minutes in a variety of roles. I think he can play 17 minutes of effective minutes in a diversity of roles. I'd 3.5 million for that in a heartbeat.

I think he can be a 40 point Marchand.
Marchand at 80-90 points is one of the better players on the planet. Even with 40 points this is a good player easily worth 3.5 mill

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He is 14g and 29 points winger with elite skating and work ethic. He can handle tough matchups and is good in d-zone. Good playoff performer. I think he can be a perfect fit for Penguins.

Yes, term is long and AAV is high, but those things doesn't matter. Penguins are in win now mode next 2-3 years and adding Tanev is an important piece of that puzzle. After that is tanking time anyway...

Also, while I agree the term is excessive it is not like he is a 31 year old starting this contract like Hagelin will be before training camp. When Tanev starts his 4th year of this contract he will still be younger than Hagelin is at the start of his first season of his 4 year deal.

If Tanev gives the Pens the same type of production as last year or close than this is a good deal. 14 goals, 3rd in the league in hits, 3rd in the league for block shots by forwards, good PK, fast, and good forechecker. I would take that anyday of the week and it is exactly the kind of player the Pens needed more of. So as long as he can provide those qualities while chipping in 10-15 goals and 25-30 points I will be happy with adding Tanev.

The team needed to get back to the speed game that helped them win the past two Cups. Adding 3 fast wingers in the past couple weeks helps with that transition. Pens also added another fast winger last year near the deadline in McCann. This team is much younger and faster which the Pens management wanted to accomplish which they did. Time will tell if these moves are the correct moves but I like the transition back to the speed game.

Reactions: Trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad