Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I just saw a that on the Hawks board they stil have an active thread about the Weise-Fleishman trade.

Awesome move by MB that's for sure.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I just saw a that on the Hawks board they stil have an active thread about the Weise-Fleishman trade.

Awesome move by MB that's for sure.

Seriously, unreal trade. And we got a 2nd. Absolute fleecing.

I think the demands of the 80 game NHL schedule is getting to him. He's still playing well, but you notice it in the details, missed passes, missed shots, being at the wrong place in the offensive zone. Not bashing him, he's done outstanding and he might be on his way to becoming a core player.

I know this post was made a couple of weeks ago but he seems to be coming around. I agree he went into a slump around game 30 along with the rest of the team but he's looking like the Danault of the first half of the season the last few games. Two monster games this past weekend.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seriously, unreal trade. And we got a 2nd. Absolute fleecing.

I know this post was made a couple of weeks ago but he seems to be coming around. I agree he went into a slump around game 30 along with the rest of the team but he's looking like the Danault of the first half of the season the last few games. Two monster games this past weekend.

And he's showing up in big games! That's what key to me! Great pick-up by MB. Danault will be part of the core for many years

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Danault should recall everybody that calling a 21 or 22 years old player a bust is plain ridiculous, unless he is a real disaster in the AHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
what a trade. I still think despite his limitations he does good work on that 1st line and is not a passenger. I jus don't know why people don't see the luxury that whether he's a top 6 C or not that the top line just flat out works with him on it.

Radulov and Patches are awesome but I'm almost certain you couldn't just throw anyone like Pleks or Ott or Eller out there and they'd produce just the same.

He COULD be our next DD. DD looked to do pretty much the same but I think there's a difference. Danault's also younger and playing in more or less his first full season. Plus the size thing will never be an issue.

He's not uber skilled but there are things that I can see him improving on like finish and decision making.

People are really critical about his point total but look at Center scoring and see that he's not that far off some good names and ahead of others. This would all be fine even if he actually was on the top line the ENTIRE year which he wasn't.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...mesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,gamesPlayed

If you look at his TOI in those first games there isn't a significant jump in playing time until about game 26 or 27 where he starts to get top line minutes. We really don't think that would be a factor in his production? Plus he creates so much with his skating and physicality apart from the production which makes him such a good fit.

It's just infuriating that people are critical of him. We got him for practically nothing! lol. And he has a very real chance to be even better.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
More points than Duchene with significantly less TOI and just about no PP time..... Stats don't tell the whole story, but that's pretty wild.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
More points than Duchene with significantly less TOI and just about no PP time..... Stats don't tell the whole story, but that's pretty wild.

he's really not that far off some pretty decent names.

Right now I see a middling to competent 2nd line C from Danault which is amazing for what we gave up.

I think he can still be better. I'm pretty sure this guy could Center an effective 2nd line in the long term. he's just so much better than Eller and Eller's a solid 3rd line C so I really don't think it's a stretch.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Phil is one of the most likeable players on this team. Really easy to root for.

As for stats, he's got 7 points in his last 8 games (3 goals, 4 assists).

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Danault situation in a way reminds me of Alex Burrows in Vancouver a few years ago. I never thought this guy was really that skilled for first line duties but he was a perfect fit for the Sedin. He was even labeled as the "triplet" :) And he made his career out of it.

It is obvious that Danault works very well with Radu and Patch, but I hate to see DD name associated with this (but I understand why you say this). Danault is much more complete as a player than DD. Now I would like to see Chuckie on the second line as C, with Gallagher. Season is over, we play NYR for sure, now is the time to try this.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I frankly don't care which line he centers as long as he brings his game to it. He is a pure centerman that makes his linemates more effective. That is a very endearing quality.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Phillip Danault: "It's crazy to say that this little guy was me 10 years ago."

GYHS3jw.png

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
First full NHL season closing in on 40 points is very solid imo. If he hits 50 next year while maintaining his 2way game this guy is a bonafide 2c that can slot into the first without looking out of place. I'm hoping it's a burrows+sedins type situation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- 1.03 pts/game in the QMJH. 243 games, +63

- 0.43 pts/game in the AHL. 160 games, +23

- 0.37 pts/game in the NHL. 131 games, -1

This season: 0.5 pts/game. 78 games, +4.

He can be a future 2nd line center IMO but he's only reaching his true potential now with the Habs as they have given more opportunity than what the Blackhawks could of. However, today he should be a 3rd line center on a Cup Contender. Not a huge issue with him at 2nd line center but is he ready to play some of the elite level teams with a solid 1/2 punch as their top 2 centers?

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
I love Danault. He can really fit anywhere into the lineup.

If we can find an impactful center this summer like Duchene, Carter or Shipachyov for a 1, 2, 3 punch of (in no particular order) Danault - Galchy - xxxx, we're in business.

Also people need to stop mentioning Desharnais and Danault in the same sentence. They are absolutely nothing alike besides the fact that they're from Quebec.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I've noticed that he's started to be more physical in open ice situations. He's outmuscled a few players that way. It's amazing how much progress he's been making since we've acquired him. Excellent acquisition by Bergevin.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
8 points in his last 9 games now (3 goals, 5 assists).

He's on a 4 point game streak. And he's got a fight!

He now has 40 points in 79 games (13 goals, 27 assists). Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't play on the PP does he? He only has two PP points all season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've noticed that he's started to be more physical in open ice situations. He's outmuscled a few players that way. It's amazing how much progress he's been making since we've acquired him. Excellent acquisition by Bergevin.

Aside from Danault himself, Bergevin has his fingerprints all over this player. He scouted him in Victoriaville for Chicago and pushed to have him drafted in the 1st Round. And then as Habs GM, he made the trade for him for two expiring contracts and got a 2nd rounder to boot.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I love Danault. He can really fit anywhere into the lineup.

If we can find an impactful center this summer like Duchene, Carter or Shipachyov for a 1, 2, 3 punch of (in no particular order) Danault - Galchy - xxxx, we're in business.

Also people need to stop mentioning Desharnais and Danault in the same sentence. They are absolutely nothing alike besides the fact that they're from Quebec.

Don't think we'll get an impactful center without galchenyuk going the other way. Unless it's a free agent like Shipachyov.

If we can upload plekanec and get Ship then that'd be perfect.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Don't think we'll get an impactful center without galchenyuk going the other way. Unless it's a free agent like Shipachyov.

If we can upload plekanec and get Ship then that'd be perfect.

If MB can re-sign Radulov and he decide with CJ that Chucky is a winger, they should be open to trade him for a Center. Try to package him for Tavares or 1 for 1 vs Duchene or whatever, but improve that Center Line!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad