Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah I like our players but saying Danault is a proven top 6 player in the nhl and Gallagher is the heart and soul of this team is quite funny.

Maybe you can point someone out, but I haven't heard or read anyone say Danault is a proven Top-6 player. He is currently proving he has the potential to be a 2C. There is a difference.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Maybe you can point someone out, but I haven't heard or read anyone say Danault is a proven Top-6 player. He is currently proving he has the potential to be a 2C. There is a difference.
I have read around here that danault is a top 2c (which imo is too hasty ...) now don't get me wrong he deserves every bit of the icetime he gets... but i agree... if he plays in the top 6 by the playoffs.... we're in trouble... i love the kid but it's just too much, too soon... he's proven to be damn solid to 9 that can fill-in top6 when needed... and actually if you have enough depth to play this kid on the 4th line, you're in a good place...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- On a bottom 15-30 team, Danault can play 2nd line center and continue to learn and improve his game.

- On a top 10 team, Danault needs to play 3rd line center or LW if the Habs want to make noise and go far in this playoffs.

And don't get me wrong... I love how Danault is playing this year

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Those who thinks that Danault cannot be a center on the top-6 should listen to what Pacioretty said after the game tonight about him. A lot of praise for the kid.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Those who thinks that Danault cannot be a center on the top-6 should listen to what Pacioretty said after the game tonight about him. A lot of praise for the kid.

Yea I caught that. Ever since MT put Pacioretty with Danault in November on the 3rd line with Shaw, Pacioretty has been praising him. After their first shift together, Pacioretty told Danault that he really likes playing with him.

At the deadline, when MB called Pacioretty, the guy thought he was the one traded. :laugh:

But it was to tell him about the Danault acquisition. Max admitted that he didn't know much of Danault (who was going up and down in Chicago). But MB assured him that he will be a key piece for the team's future.

I think that future has come a lot quicker.

I definitely see him as a 2C eventually. He's proving he can handle it at this young stage in his career.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I hope people really don't think Byron can repeat them numbers every year.

Danault on the other has upside.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I definitely see him as a 2C eventually. He's proving he can handle it at this young stage in his career.

If he can handle it now, why do you say eventually? He is now playing on the first line and would be unable to play on the second?

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Hi think people are overthinking what is a number 1 2 or 3 center. The reality is the top center is the one you use on the first PP unit. I like what Daneault is doing now. He complements Pacioretty and Radulov very well. He competes in the corners and takes care of the defensive responsibilities. I would definitively leave him there when Galchenyuk comes back and try to extract a bit more offence on the second line. Especially once Gallagher is back. Lekonen, Chucky and Gally could be a decent line.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

I can see Byron getting constantly 40 pts per year as long as he plays on the top 2 lines. He doesn't have a great shot, but he's really fast, he has strong hockey IQ, he has good vision and good hands, he's hard to knock off the puck, and he's a smart player. He's also not afraid to go to the dirty areas and score those ugly goals.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I was all for going all in on Duchene, but the way the Danault's line is clicking, i wonder if it wouldnt be a better idea to go after a top 6 winger to play with Chucky and Gallagher.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I was all for going all in on Duchene, but the way the Danault's line is clicking, i wonder if it wouldnt be a better idea to go after a top 6 winger to play with Chucky and Gallagher.

Thought the same earlier.
If Danault and his line continues to play like that until close to the trade deadline, it might be better to get Landeskog instead of Duchene.

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Landeskog - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron -Mitchell - McCarron

Sucks to make Byron play on the 4th line tho

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If he can handle it now, why do you say eventually? He is now playing on the first line and would be unable to play on the second?

What I meant is that he will be an uncontested 2C. Many still see him as a 3C. But I picture him eventually being established as a 2C everyone won't argue about his spot.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hi think people are overthinking what is a number 1 2 or 3 center.

Understatement of the year. Especially on this board.

Danault is building his case to get as many quality minutes as he can get, knowing that this usually means getting quality linemates.

That's pretty much the extent of the reasoning for players like Krejci and Bergeron, Fedorov and Yzerman, Johnson and Stamkos and most centers who play or have played in this league.

It's the same with coaches. They don't assign a number to centers. You don't magically tag your center with #1 by assigning him your best winger.

It's an ever changing process that depends not only on the player's individual skill and performance but also on momentum, injuries, chemistry and game situations.

Except on HF, of course.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Between Hanzal (10G-9A - 7 PPP in 2:54 PP TOI/GP) at 3.1M SCap and Danault (10G-15A - 1 PPP in 0:22 PP TOI/GP) at 913K SCap the choice is clear.

Note that Plek has same PPP as Hanzal despite having only 1:12 PP TOI/GP.
Also he has more points than Hanzal.

Without PP TOI, Hanzal would have 12 points...

At this point Danault > Hanzal.

So basically, Hanzal is not a top-6.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If I weren't a Habs fan since the 1940s I would be amused by how some fans would reconstruct the team. Sometimes I find it painful. I won't make any brilliant proposals because I don't want to reread my posts a few months from now and wonder how I could have been so naïve. I'll leave it up to Bergevin. He's done all right so far.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Danault is a good player but not an all-star.This is not meant to knock him. He may never score 25 goals, but then again, not every forward reaches that benchmark.

I think Lehkonen can be a consistent 20-goal scorer.

Put Byron on a line with good offensive players and he can repeat those "numbers." Put him elsewhere and he'd still be a good penalty killer or utility player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
After tonight's win Danault is an even +/- player now. He was the only minus regular on the team for the last month or so.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
27 points and only one was on the PP, this kid has been awesome.

Meanwhile Weise has 5 points this year and Flash is retired, what a trade by MB.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know Rads makes that line tick, but alot of credit to Danault, he is playing very very well...kudos to MB once again!!! Funny how injuries made this happen ala Chucky last year...just sayin'....

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I know Rads makes that line tick, but alot of credit to Danault, he is playing very very well...kudos to MB once again!!! Funny how injuries made this happen ala Chucky last year...just sayin'....

Are you telling me you expected Danault to be the center of our first line before the start of this season? :laugh:

It's how it happens almost all the time, guys get injured , young players rise to the occasion and impose themselves .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad