Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not even close DA. Read my other posts. You cannot have a top 6 C that cannot score goals. I stand by this. This is one of the main reasons for years of ineptitude by Habs

Plekanec, early on, scored goals, but I agree, Desharnais, Gomez and, even, Koivu sucked at scoring

Jul 6, 2016
Danault is not the one chosing his on ice assignment anyway. CJ is.

But so far, Tatar and Gally are producing, and if you ask them, will possibly tell you that Danault is helping them a lot, first by winning a majority of his draws , and playing a sound defensive play.

He is not a second line center, but he is a valuable one. When Kotkaniemi will have acquire maturity and experience, Danault will play whre he belongs: the third line.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

But so far, Tatar and Gally are producing, and if you ask them, will possibly tell you that Danault is helping them a lot, first by winning a majority of his draws , and playing a sound defensive play.

He is not a second line center, but he is a valuable one. When Kotkaniemi will have acquire maturity and experience, Danault will play whre he belongs: the third line.

It may be that the best that Poehling, Olofsson, and Evans can hope for is the 4th line.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Danault and Lehk are third line players who should see more time together 5 v 5.
Situational players who can take on 2nd line minutes when the game dictates it.
Actually add Army to that line and now we are talking business. The problem as I see it isn't even moving Kotka up it's finding the right fit on the wings. The brass will never give him Tatar and Gallagher like they should as long as we are bubbling...

Reactions: scrubadam

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Danault and Lehk are third line players who should see more time together 5 v 5.
Situational players who can take on 2nd line minutes when the game dictates it.
Actually add Army to that line and now we are talking business. The problem as I see it isn't even moving Kotka up it's finding the right fit on the wings. The brass will never give him Tatar and Gallagher like they should as long as we are bubbling...

People are really underrating Danault and Lehkonen at ES. Where they are is honestly perfect for the team right now.

Danault is an excellent face-off guy and two way center. His transition game is underrated too. He, along with Tatar and Gallagher, form a line that out-attempts, chances and scores other team's top lines. They let the Domi line create mismatches to exploit and shelter Kotkaniemi in a perfect development situation.

Lehkonen, on top of being one of Montreal's better producers at ES, creates more at ES than he gets credit for. His shot is frustrating as hell, but I guarantee you fans said that about Domi and Byron too.

Danault is ideally a 3rd line center on a contender, but can play up consistently and effectively. Lehkonen is absolutely top-6 winger that can plug and play anywhere and has untapped potential.

And I've said it elsewhere, Byron-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen is an ideal development situation for Kotkaniemi. You can also swap Byron or Lehkonen with Tatar, but I'm not sure that's the case.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Danault is another in a long line of centres for Habs who cannot score goals.

I posted on the lack of goal scoring from Habs Centres nine years ago here. It was one of the first things I posted on, and it has been brutal seeing Habs do nothing to fix this the last 8 years. It has been a big problem for habs forever.

Danault has 30 shots on goal in 20 games playing on the second/first line. That is bad. Really bad. Note that Kotkaniemi has 38 shots on goal playing on the third line, in 4 less minutes a game. It's one reason I am really liking Kotkaniemi. He might actually become a 20 goal scoring centre. Maybe more. Because he shoots. I am a firm believer that shots on goal are a major factor in predicting goal scoring ability and potential.

Danault is the new Desharnais, but much better defensively. I don't even think his offense is good enough for the third line, without top six wingers beside him. If he starts blocking centres moving up, I'll despair. If they want to contend in a few years, Habs can't afford to have top centres that cannot score on the team, especially with the dreadful offense from the D men.

Younger Habs fans have become used to this no goal scoring from the centres, and have very low standards with C men as a result. Understandable.

I hope the best for him. I like the guy's attitude and hustle. But there's no way anyone can seriously think this guy is an effective 2 line C.
Great post! Agree 100%

That's why I get confused when people say Suzuki will move to the wing cause he can really shoot it.

A centre who can score? Whose also right handed as well?

I'll take that...

Danault is a decent playmaker though and for now, the kind of game he plays really works well with how Gallgher plays imo.

+ he offers value defensively and the hope is that he'll eventually be an even better 3rd line C, when he does eventually transition to one.

Like you said, the Habs can't get caught up in the idea of using Danault against top lines, it's fine for now but Kotkaniemi is pushing, they have to eventually turn things over.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Great post! Agree 100%

That's why I get confused when people say Suzuki will move to the wing cause he can really shoot it.

A centre who can score? Whose also right handed as well?

I'll take that...

Danault is a decent playmaker though and for now, the kind of game he plays really works well with how Gallgher plays imo.

+ he offers value defensively and the hope is that he'll eventually be an even better 3rd line C, when he does eventually transition to one.

Like you said, the Habs can't get caught up in the idea of using Danault against top lines, it's fine for now but Kotkaniemi is pushing, they have to eventually turn things over.

I would rather Suzuki play top-6 with either Kotkaniemi or Domi, and not have him center a third line with weaker wingers, while moving Danault to the wing or to the 4th line.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Danault will be a hab for a long time. Has the size, speed, defensive IQ, and faceoff ability to be a great defensive center in this league for a long time. Plus he made some amazing passes yesterday, that sauce to Gallagher in OT was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Danault will be a hab for a long time. Has the size, speed, defensive IQ, and faceoff ability to be a great defensive center in this league for a long time. Plus he made some amazing passes yesterday, that sauce to Gallagher in OT was a thing of beauty.

If only Kotka would have delivered that pass, Gallagher would have scored. Danault kills every play. :sarcasm:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Raphael Diaz for Dale Weiss
Dale Weiss + Tomas Fleischman for Philip Danault

A fantastic sequence of asset management by Bergevin. It's worked out great for the Habs. Danault is a young, cheap, effective, two,-way, middle-six centre, who is better at 5on5 than at special teams. That is a necessary component to every team. They've also done a great job of developing him.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Raphael Diaz for Dale Weiss
Dale Weiss + Tomas Fleischman for Philip Danault

A fantastic sequence of asset management by Bergevin. It's worked out great for the Habs. Danault is a young, cheap, effective, two,-way, middle-six centre, who is better at 5on5 than at special teams. That is a necessary component to every team. They've also done a great job of developing him.
Danault and a 2nd rounder was in that deal

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

both have seen their production drop.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Shea Weber
He'll help for sure, but we need a better gameplan nevertheless. If Drouin is going to be in the middle, we need Shea set up for his one timer on the left side and then someone on the right to do the same. Similar to Stamkos and Kucherov in Tbay.

I'd like to see this on the #1PP....

.................Gallagher

Weber.......Kotka......Domi

..................Drouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad