Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
At least until the trade deadline, I think it is a good thing to have a Galchenyuk-Danault-Plekanec-Mitchell center line. If things go well, you might not need to rush getting a center and focus on defense and maybe the wings. But if by the deadline, one or more of the centers don't remain effective, then you can maybe make a move for a center. And the one who will be on his way out is Plekanec, not Danault.

The guy's played his way onto the Protected list for the Expansion Draft, whether a 2C, 3C, or even a winger.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I'm not really in favour of using Danault in the top 6 unless we have to. Penciling him in for our future #2 after Chucky seems premature.

That said he is playing really well and was an excellent pickup. If we could acquire a real #2C and have Danault at #3 we would improve our cup chances drastically imo.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not really in favour of using Danault in the top 6 unless we have to. Penciling him in for our future #2 after Chucky seems premature.

That said he is playing really well and was an excellent pickup. If we could acquire a real #2C and have Danault at #3 we would improve our cup chances drastically imo.

The sooner the better this is a young mans game played at a young mans pace.
I repeat Danault will easily replace Pleky and none to soon for my liking.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
A cup run would be very possible with Chucky - XX - Danault - Pleky as our 4 centers. That would be very good depth.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
A cup run would be very possible with Chucky - XX - Danault - Pleky as our 4 centers. That would be very good depth.

That is my dream too....having Plekanec on the 4th line. If that happens, then our team is pretty strong at the middle.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

If Pleky is your 4C, you're better off using him in a trade and keeping Mitchell as 4C. Mitchell is real good in that spot and costs way less. Not to mention, despite Pleky's decline since last year (even though he's heating up the last few games), he still holds some value around the league.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Pleky is your 4C, you're better off using him in a trade and keeping Mitchell as 4C. Mitchell is real good in that spot and costs way less. Not to mention, despite Pleky's decline since last year (even though he's heating up the last few games), he still holds some value around the league.

It's not that Plekanec wouldn't be useful on some other team, it's just the lousy cap hit he represents -- and given how many teams are tight to the cap, it would be very unlikely for the Habs to move him unless they took on an offset and/or agreed to eat a major portion of his salary. A bad contract is not an asset, especially one with a declining performance who is nearing his mid-thirties.

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He makes DD irrelevant. He is better but he is also un tit gars de ché nous.

DD injuries in the last 2 seasons was such a blessing for us.

Last year, it gave Galchenyuk his 1st C position back.

And this year, we had the emergence of Danault thanks to his injury.

I don't want to beat on a dead horse but it makes you wonder how many years MB wasted on Galchenyuk development as a center by giving DD his extension.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

Impossible You simply ask for more then is realistically possible. But it fun to dream.

Danault prove he is top 6 material, get high profile wing to produce, get high TOI both def and Off so yes he allow Plekanec to get a lesser role in babysitting the young one (that line produce too)

Don't need XX, Cause XX will be expensive. very expensive

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Impossible You simply ask for more then is realistically possible. But it fun to dream.

Danault prove he is top 6 material, get high profile wing to produce, get high TOI both def and Off so yes he allow Plekanec to get a lesser role in babysitting the young one (that line produce too)

Don't need XX, Cause XX will be expensive. very expensive

Danault is playing great lately, let's wait a bit before saying he's proven anything.

The only thing he's proven IMO, as it's been that way ALL season long is that he can stay on the top 9 and does not need to be dropped to the 4th next to Mitchell like at the beginning of the season...

it's the kid first full season, and it's only halfway trough, let's wait and see how he does for a longer period, and how he'll react when his production drops. NO need to make him a hero cause he's doing well, just like there will be no reason to panic when he'll be 6 or 7 games without a goal or something...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah, let's wait a bit until we crown him. Props to him for playing extremely well lately, but plenty of players did that and faded away and regressed to the mean. He needs to keep this up for a while.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd love to see Danault continue to play with Patch and put Byron on the top line.

Byron / Galchenyuk / Radulov
Patch / Danault / Shaw
Lehkonen / Pleky / McCarron
Carr / Mitchell Flynn
DLR/DD

IMO, Gallagher is the guy we can trade in a package deal, get a return for, and not create a huge hole in the line-up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault is playing great lately, let's wait a bit before saying he's proven anything.

The only thing he's proven IMO, as it's been that way ALL season long is that he can stay on the top 9 and does not need to be dropped to the 4th next to Mitchell like at the beginning of the season...

it's the kid first full season, and it's only halfway trough, let's wait and see how he does for a longer period, and how he'll react when his production drops. NO need to make him a hero cause he's doing well, just like there will be no reason to panic when he'll be 6 or 7 games without a goal or something...

Danault has been playing great all year IMO.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I'd love to see Danault continue to play with Patch and put Byron on the top line.

Patch / Danault / Shaw
Carr / Mitchell Flynn
DLR/DD

IMO, Gallagher is the guy we can trade in a package deal, get a return for, and not create a huge hole in the line-up.

Gallagher is the heart and soul of this team. On top of it, with his hand issues, he will be get much on the market.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Yeah I like our players but saying Danault is a proven top 6 player in the nhl and Gallagher is the heart and soul of this team is quite funny.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Patch / Danault / Shaw
Carr / Mitchell Flynn
DLR/DD

MCarron in the top-9 IS a pretty big hole.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Gallagher is the heart and soul of this team. On top of it, with his hand issues, we won't get much on the market.
Edit

True, Gallagher is still heart and soul of this team despite Byron's godlike year. I wouldn't put Gallagher in any trades for now.

Concerning Danault, his speed / vision / composure with the puck is something very valuable at the moment in the NHL. I wouldn't mind having him as a 2nd C but he would be more effective offensively while facing weaker oppositions on the 3rd line for instance.

He just needs to stay healthy and we'll see next year and in 2 years probably his full potential. Amazing season for now :handclap: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad