Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

An elite 3C....a good 2C.....an okay 1C

Got him for 2 expiring contracts of which one was a PTO and the other was aquired in a trade for....Diaz, who's presently not playing in the NHL. That's great value!! Great trade by Bergy

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

So the guy who has played first-line center on a 100+ point team for 80 per cent of the season and who just turned 24..so has in fact not even entered his prime yet...is a 3C and that's it..because to say otherwise ..would go against your latest lament about the Habs never drafting or trading, for a top two center. You said it...so it must be fact forever more..never mind the logic and nightly proof that Danault can handle a top-two center role ALREADY..that would mean you are wrong....so we must accept the "alternative fact" that since you say "Yes a 3C" with no explanation or reasoning besides your blessed evaluation skills..that that's all Danault will ever be. Should we pass the memo on to Julien and Bergevin? I have a feeling they may think otherwise...but hey..they're garbage anyway...clueless.

Never mind that his 40 points puts him in the top 60 points-wise for NHL centers while providing one of the most competitive, intelligent two-way games in the league while still not being in his prime...he's a third liner forever..because you, WTK, states as much. Case closed.

Would be great for this to stay on the discussion of this draft..but as per usual it gets waylaid by whining about the GM and his inadequacies..just like 75 percent of the other threads on here.

OK...I have vented. Can it get back to track about the draft? I believe there are plenty of Bergevin threads on the main board.

Besides...Habs don't have to worry about a top-two center...got one down on the farm fight now who will be one - de la Rose. There...I'm sure that will get ignored.
Ha ha!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
While i think you're right, i still think the center position is the most needed
I mean look at the ones we already have. We won't go far in the playoffs with them.

Andrew Shaw in the past six playoff years ahs been one of Chicago's four best forwards..I have a feeling he's going to be fine at center..Danault..made for the playoffs...Plekanec Ott and <itchell? wily competitive vets. I don't think it's as big an issue as some are stating. Shaw is a playoff dynamo..stay tuned and watch..his ppg ALWAYS go up.

OK..anyone got a draft question.seeing that it's a ...draft thread?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

So the guy who has played first-line center on a 100+ point team for 80 per cent of the season and who just turned 24..so has in fact not even entered his prime yet...is a 3C and that's it..because to say otherwise ..would go against your latest lament about the Habs never drafting or trading, for a top two center. You said it...so it must be fact forever more..never mind the logic and nightly proof that Danault can handle a top-two center role ALREADY..that would mean you are wrong....so we must accept the "alternative fact" that since you say "Yes a 3C" with no explanation or reasoning besides your blessed evaluation skills..that that's all Danault will ever be. Should we pass the memo on to Julien and Bergevin? I have a feeling they may think otherwise...but hey..they're garbage anyway...clueless.

Never mind that his 40 points puts him in the top 60 points-wise for NHL centers while providing one of the most competitive, intelligent two-way games in the league while still not being in his prime...he's a third liner forever..because you, WTK, states as much. Case closed.

Would be great for this to stay on the discussion of this draft..but as per usual it gets waylaid by whining about the GM and his inadequacies..just like 75 percent of the other threads on here.

OK...I have vented. Can it get back to track about the draft? I believe there are plenty of Bergevin threads on the main board.

Besides...Habs don't have to worry about a top-two center...got one down on the farm fight now who will be one - de la Rose. There...I'm sure that will get ignored.
Ha ha!

Everything that you just said....that's what I'm saying.....you're just better at it than I am :laugh:

You can add that he was developed by the Chicago brass....great base to work on.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Given the usage of Danault and the fact he gets to play with our two best wingers frequently, his 40 points aren't very telling. That's very weak production for someone used to the extent he is used.

I always thought he had 3rd line upside... And chances are, had he been playing on the 3rd line all year long, he wouldn't have given you 30 points... In the Eller ballpark at best. Make of that what you will. He's on the first line by default since Julien apparently prefers Galchenyuk on the wing, not because he's a worthy 1st line center. Let alone on a team aspiring for a cup.

Danault - Plekanec - Shaw - Mitchell, I mean, come on. That's as dreadful as it gets for a playoff team. It hurts to even type that out. We do have decent wingers, I suppose.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Given the usage of Danault and the fact he gets to play with our two best wingers frequently, his 40 points aren't very telling. That's very weak production for someone used to the extent he is used.

I always thought he had 3rd line upside... And chances are, had he been playing on the 3rd line all year long, he wouldn't have given you 30 points... In the Eller ballpark at best. Make of that what you will. He's on the first line by default since Julien apparently prefers Galchenyuk on the wing, not because he's a worthy 1st line center. Let alone on a team aspiring for a cup.

Danault - Plekanec - Shaw - Mitchell, I mean, come on. That's as dreadful as it gets for a playoff team. It hurts to even type that out. We do have decent wingers, I suppose.

40 points with good wingers is not that impressive. 40 points, none of which come from thePP... that's easily 2nd line production

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
40 points with good wingers is not that impressive. 40 points, none of which come from thePP... that's easily 2nd line production

How many even strength points would Danault have carrying guys like Gallagher/Shaw/Lehkonen that have had big slumps this season, and with lesser ice time to boot? That's what I'm getting at. He's the third wheel on the 1st line. It'd be very different if you asked him to carry his own line.

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
Ideal center depth for this team would be to get someone like Duchene and go Duchene/Galchenyuk/Danault as the top 3 with whoever you want to rotate in on the 4th. Get rid of Turtleneck and trade for or sign a scoring winger if possible in free agency.

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
Ideal center depth for this team would be to get someone like Duchene and go Duchene/Galchenyuk/Danault as the top 3 with whoever you want to rotate in on the 4th. Get rid of Turtleneck and trade for or sign a scoring winger if possible in free agency.

Exactly this. We need Duchene more than anyone and Bergevin should know (and act).

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Ha ha!

you think DLR will be a top 2 C? I don't see it. I'd love to be wrong but I don't think he can crack a top 6.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

He's far far better than Eller. And he wasn't on the first line all year. I looked at his game logs and the TOI didn't go up to 1st line numbers until about game 26 or 27.

If you look at other top scoring Cs he's not far off some pretty decent names. He brings more than just points as well. As long as that line is productive which it has been I really don't care who gets the points. he's not a passenger on that line. He isn't a #1C but possibly a solid #2.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He's far far better than Eller. And he wasn't on the first line all year. I looked at his game logs and the TOI didn't go up to 1st line numbers until about game 26 or 27.

If you look at other top scoring Cs he's not far off some pretty decent names. He brings more than just points as well. As long as that line is productive which it has been I really don't care who gets the points. he's not a passenger on that line. He isn't a #1C but possibly a solid #2.

he's got 40 pts, he's pretty far off the Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Kuznetzov, Stepan, Matthews, Kadri, Turris Habs may/will face in the East you know...

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

This year, and I feel he will get better, he is a great top9 center, just under the top6 center point threshold. With the other non stat things he brings to the team, you can consider him a solid #2. The problem is the Habs need more scoring from our Top6, thus my complaints.

Danault has been an absolute steal by MB, great job by him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The fact that he is so sound in so many facets of the game bodes well for this kid becoming a 55 point per year center. He does everything well. What a great acquisition. Lehkonen and Danault are promising young players!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Ha ha!

Youre over-estimating our center line big time dude. Danault - Plekanec - Shaw is expansion-tier.

No team ever wins a cup without a first center. Last time it was Jason Arnott and even then hed be our top center.

I dont want to be melodramatic and Im not the type to whine endlessly for minor moves like the usual lunatics on here but on this Im sorry, we got to be realistic : this centerline is ****ING HORRIBLE. Danault is awesome and Im a big fan but he shouldnt be our best. We can surely beat the Rangers but Pens, Caps, Hawks and co? No way.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008

Ha ha!

:handclap:

Thanks for the vent and speaking my mind for me. Danault is a gem. Not an all star yet, and who never may be, but who knows which way the wind will blow. Good hockey player that has stepped up to the plate this season. We lack the big gun at center, where would we be without him? If we are talking about right now, present, play-offs start next week let's enjoy the ride in this moment? I'm pleasantly surprised by his effort. No, he's not Crosby, toews, or Thornton(playoff choker), but he's doing the right things which may just lead to the promise land. If we win the cup, this forum will still be negative because we didn't win it in a dominating fashion. **** it!!!!

Thank-you Grant

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Andrew Shaw in the past six playoff years ahs been one of Chicago's four best forwards..I have a feeling he's going to be fine at center..Danault..made for the playoffs...Plekanec Ott and <itchell? wily competitive vets. I don't think it's as big an issue as some are stating. Shaw is a playoff dynamo..stay tuned and watch..his ppg ALWAYS go up.

OK..anyone got a draft question.seeing that it's a ...draft thread?
It's disingenuous to claim that Shaw had been one of the best forwards - clearly he was getting space and room because other teams had to deal with Kane and Toews and Hossa and Panarin.

Danault isn't any more "made" for the playoffs than other rookies and youngsters. He's never played a playoff game in his life. He had 10 points in his career before this year. If he keeps developing, okay, if not that's fine too. Many don't think he'll become a top2 C because Chicago gave him up for scraps - is if Danault defies the expectations of the Chicago organisation, it'll be a heck of a surprise. It could just as well be his tons of ice-time with top-tier players that's getting him the points. Who knows.

And Pleks and Ott are losing speed and no matter how wily they are they'll have to chase the puck more than ever rendering them ineffective. Mitchell is a 4th liner.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm not worried about Danault being the Habs' 1C for the playoffs because he just fits real well with Pacioretty and Radulov. He's not what you expect from a 1C in the sense that he doesn't carry his line. He's a complimentary player but his chemistry with our team's best wingers is more important to me than him being your typical 1C.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not worried about Danault being the Habs' 1C for the playoffs because he just fits real well with Pacioretty and Radulov. He's not what you expect from a 1C in the sense that he doesn't carry his line. He's a complimentary player but his chemistry with our team's best wingers is more important to me than him being your typical 1C.

I like Danault with Patches, but think the team would be better off splitting Patcioretty and Radulov to get a more balanced attack:

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
King-Ott-Martinsen

Benn-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Emelin

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I like Danault with Patches, but think the team would be better off splitting Patcioretty and Radulov to get a more balanced attack:

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher
King-Ott-Martinsen

Benn-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Emelin

Perfect line-up, switch Benn for Davidson and scratch Beau or Emelin to put Benn.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
For the first 25 games, until the injury to Galchenyuk in LA, Danault was not on the first line. When Galchenyuk came back he played some games on the first line, then Therrien placed Danault on the first again, then when Julien came in, again he removed Danault from the first and placed Galchenyuk there, but again Danault regained the top spot. So overall I think Daunault was not on the first line for something like 35 games. So it is false to say he played the whole season with Max and Rad, or to say that he played 80% of the games on the first line. In fact he played on the first line for about 60% of the games. So given it was a new role for him, 40 points is very good. Also, he was not always on the first wave of PP and in the first 30 games of the season he was not on the PP at all. So again, under those circumstances 40 points is very good for an emerging 24 years old player. Add to that the fact that he is very good defensively. He is without a doubt a top-6 center and a pure steal for Bergevin.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I'm getting a "cultist" vibe from reading some of the negative comments regarding Danault's usage and his production.

Danault earned his time on the top lines and has been a strong contributor to the success of the lines he played with. To say otherwise is just bad faith.

The kid has already a 40+ points season under his belt and seems to be still improving. Meanwhile Eller at 28 has a single 30 season under his belt...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm getting a "cultist" vibe from reading some of the negative comments regarding Danault's usage and his production.

Danault earned his time on the top lines and has been a strong contributor to the success of the lines he played with. To say otherwise is just bad faith.

The kid has already a 40+ points season under his belt and seems to be still improving. Meanwhile Eller at 28 has a single 30 season under his belt...
Has nothing to do with Eller.

If anything Danault is the one with a cult. He's had a lot of playing time with really good players. Let's hope and pray he takes it up a notch. When Pleks followed a 60ish point season with a 39 point season, everyone called him a little girl. Danault is barely scraping at 0.5ppg, I don't see why he's so hyped right now at all.

Maybe he'll impress in the playoffs, maybe not. As it stands he's rather average but progressing very well.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
For the first 25 games, until the injury to Galchenyuk in LA, Danault was not on the first line. When Galchenyuk came back he played some games on the first line, then Therrien placed Danault on the first again, then when Julien came in, again he removed Danault from the first and placed Galchenyuk there, but again Danault regained the top spot. So overall I think Daunault was not on the first line for something like 35 games. So it is false to say he played the whole season with Max and Rad, or to say that he played 80% of the games on the first line. In fact he played on the first line for about 60% of the games. So given it was a new role for him, 40 points is very good. Also, he was not always on the first wave of PP and in the first 30 games of the season he was not on the PP at all. So again, under those circumstances 40 points is very good for an emerging 24 years old player. Add to that the fact that he is very good defensively. He is without a doubt a top-6 center and a pure steal for Bergevin.

Definitely, share your point of view, I think we're just scratching his full potential! He may be 24 years old but he has only 132 games played in the NHL! So that's not even 2 full seasons...

I don't want to compare him to Max but it took him 123 games at the NHL level to finally establish himself in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad