Confirmed with Link: [PHI/WPG] Kevin Hayes UFA rights for a 2019 5th, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s just force everyone to want to play for the Philadelphia Flyers!

Of course it's a valid point you're making, not one I disagree with, but I think Comcast is concerned with the Flyers image right now, and not getting a player they targeted because they simply don't want to be here isn't a good look. It happened once already with Q. They're in 4th place right now and they need to make some big things happen to get positive buzz.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Of course it's a valid point you're making, not one I disagree with, but I think Comcast is concerned with the Flyers image right now, and not getting a player they targeted because they simply don't want to be here isn't a good look. It happened once already with Q. They're in 4th place right now and they need to make some big things happen to get positive buzz.
comcast sees what is going on right now. After x amount of years i think the season ticket holders have voiced their opinion. they are not selling tickets like they used too in the past. This team has been fluttering for years. They hired that woman away from DC and massive changes will be coming. Right or wrong i think many moves will be made this year. As you said they need to get a buzz back

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not being able to sign a top-6 forward that they want and everyone recognizes as a position of need, perhaps the biggest free agent forward available to them is a much worse look, just because you're not impressed by him doesn't change that.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

They never had a shot at Q, and anyone who spent five minutes on the Internet researching Q knew that - he was making $6M, he was choosing his next job based on personal preferences, not money. And frankly, I don't see much difference between Q and AV, give AV that Chicago squad and he probably has a couple rings. That was a young, deep, talented team.

Hayes doesn't get anyone excited, in fact, realistically, other than a dozen players, who would really create a buzz?
EK, yes,
Duchene, meh, he's not an elite player, a good player coming off a career year who never was a lead dog.
Subban, meh, 30 year D-man who is breaking down physically, he's no Pronger.

What will create a buzz is winning.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
They never had a shot at Q, and anyone who spent five minutes on the Internet researching Q knew that - he was making $6M, he was choosing his next job based on personal preferences, not money. And frankly, I don't see much difference between Q and AV, give AV that Chicago squad and he probably has a couple rings. That was a young, deep, talented team.

Hayes doesn't get anyone excited, in fact, realistically, other than a dozen players, who would really create a buzz?
EK, yes,
Duchene, meh, he's not an elite player, a good player coming off a career year who never was a lead dog.

subban would absolutely create a huge buzz just on his name alone.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he only wants to play in Chicago or NY, I don't think it matters.

It he goes to free agency and then signs with CBJ or a Canadian team , then it would look bad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

EK, yes,

The point there was that they wanted him and reports leaked that they had spoken with him with one saying they had him. There are measures of that that aren't true, obviously, but someone in Voorhees had to have had have made it known to people outside the organization, media or otherwise, what the expectations were which is why there was so much talk about it. Back at Christmas, nobody was talking about Q going to Florida. I am higher on AV than most, but Q had the big name recognition that they were looking for in the same way people were hoping we'd go after Babcock instead of Hakstol.

In terms of players, Panarin and Duchene sort of do, Karlsson definitely would. So would Subban even if he's slowing down, but there's zero chance of him coming here anyways to play for Therrien. Hayes obviously isn't on that level, clearly, but of the four guys you mentioned, only Karlsson has more than a 5% chance of being here, and nobody in the national media has even brought up the Flyers as real possibility.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not being able to sign a top-6 forward that they want and everyone recognizes as a position of need, perhaps the biggest free agent forward available to them is a much worse look, just because you're not impressed by him doesn't change that.

Oh it will definitely be a bad look, and the only thing that would change that is signing/trading for someone else.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
EX-friggin-ACTLY

forget the fans, look the team itself, i think the lack of the big name has been killing this team's identity since jagr came to this team, after jagr, pronger, timms, hartnell left, the whole team went downhill, not excusing the coaching either. getting a big name for the team is also a big boost to their confidence.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I mean, let's be honest for a second....

Ironic, as 99% of the fanbase rightly thinks the organization is run by morons.

I’m waiting for them to prove me wrong that they aren’t just the Leafs of the Sundin era.

Giroux might agree.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I couldn’t blame a guy for choosing to play in Colorado instead of Philadelphia. Nicer environment. Better team.

When you’re a non-playoff team 2 of the last 3 seasons, you won’t be the most enticing option if a player is looking to win immediately.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yup, that’s exactly the scary thing.

Tons of fans come up with garbage ideas... always have and always will. But obviously they have no power, so it doesn’t matter.

Our particular slice of Hell is having people in a position of power who have the same stupid mindset as the worst fans.
I think we'll be alright. For all of Scott's blathering, so far all Fletch has done is move out deadwood, picked up Talbot for a guy who likely never be an NHL regular and swapped a 5th for a shot to sign an effective player who can help the team. Fletcher has to think his job security is pretty good as I don't think they're going to fire him just months after he was hired because he didn't trade Ghost for Kadri or went out and gave Karlsson 80 million over 6 years with a full NMC/NTC.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance and see what he actually does before I lose my shit. Yeah, I know, that is a very unPhilly thing to do, but hey, I live in FL so there ya have it.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Oh, and I forgot, Fletcher already has earned every penny he's being paid. The man fired Hakstol, bless him. I can't wait to see how this team plays with a competent coach behind the bench and a quality goalie in the net.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Well, to be fair, they’re right about 99%.

Just look at this board. :laugh: Someone just said we haven’t had a big name since Jagr and Timonen left. The guy doesn’t even know who Giroux is.

this team has been playing like crap since jagr left, are you happy with that?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

Exclusive photo of the rehab therapy:
nR62Iup.gif

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
So we’re back to it being a giant failure if he’s not signed?

There’s other factors involved.

Who’s to say he even wants to play in Philly?

Well, the assumption would be that Fletch did his due diligence and determined that Hayes was open, if not amenable, to playing in Philly. To assume otherwise is to determine that Fletch is just throwing shit at the wall and (perhaps) doesn't have much of a plan. For now I prefer to believe the former, as the latter is depressing and it's a bit early to start drinking.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
this team has been playing like crap since jagr left, are you happy with that?

I think it is too simple to say that it was just Jagr.

The decline of Timonen.
The decline of Briere.
Trading JvR for a vastly inferior player.
Meszaros getting injured and going from one of best 5v5 D in NHL to replacement level.
Pronger career ending injury.
Bourdon career ending injury.
The disaster that was Bryzgalov.
Carle walking and not being replaced.

All happened either that year or in the next 18 months.

They went from starting the 2011-12 season with 2x #1 Dmen and 3x second pairing guys to finishing the year after with 1x top pairing Dman, a #3-4 in Coburn, and a collection of #5-7s.

They went from starting the 2011-12 season with a legit 2C Briere to finishing 2012-13 with 20 year old Couturier being the 2nd best C.

Several of those things were way, way more important than Jagr. Especially with Voracek and Simmonds stepping up straight away at RW.

Plus in 2017-18 they had close to as good a season as 2011-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad