Confirmed with Link: [PHI/WPG] Kevin Hayes UFA rights for a 2019 5th, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
There's simply no way to know where Hayes prefers to go. I assume the Flyers will match the best offer he gets. But maybe, for example, he likes to ski, smoke pot, and/or thinks Colorado gives him the best chance to win? In that case, he's going to Denver as long as they give him a big offer. There are so many personal factors at play it's impossible to predict.
Is he allowed to ski and smoke pot during the season? he can live in COL in the off season.
I think (hoping) AV has a good feeling about guys that would want to play for him.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Like i said, im ok with moving just about anyone provided it makes the team better. There hasnt been a single realistic trade proposal created on this board where the Flyers move Ghost and the team becomes clearly better.

I wouldn't mind trading ghost for connor or ehlers. Never to nylander. I would probably do it if we had another ghost type prospect in the system but we don't. However, we have 4 great dman and a great goalie we should try to build around. Really no reason to trade ghost though. No one on our blue line has his skill set and we are all seeing how valuable krug is for the bruins.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I wouldn't mind trading ghost for connor or ehlers. Never to nylander. I would probably do it if we had another ghost type prospect in the system but we don't. However, we have 4 great dman and a great goalie we should try to build around. Really no reason to trade ghost though. No one on our blue line has his skill set and we are all seeing how valuable krug is for the bruins.

Connor and Ehlers are both great young players, but if we are going to entertain trading Ghost and open up that hole on our blueline, it has to be for a C, or a replacement D. Wing is our deepest position in both NHL and at the Prospect level. Trading Ghost for either - and again, both great young players - just forces us to make another move where we trade one of our current wingers for a replacement D.

Reactions: flyersNducks

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Connor and Ehlers are both great young players, but if we are going to entertain trading Ghost and open up that hole on our blueline, it has to be for a C, or a replacement D. Wing is our deepest position in both NHL and at the Prospect level. Trading Ghost for either - and again, both great young players - just forces us to make another move where we trade one of our current wingers for a replacement D.

we could always trade our prospects and 1st round picks if we do ghost for ehlers or connor

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

We could use a young RW, but Connor and Ehlers are both LH.
With Giroux, Lindblom, JVR, Farabee, Ratcliffe, and both Frost and Laughton as LH centers who could move to LW, we don't need another LH forward.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We could use a young RW, but Connor and Ehlers are both LH.
With Giroux, Lindblom, JVR, Farabee, Ratcliffe, and both Frost and Laughton as LH centers who could move to LW, we don't need another LH forward.

Sure, but not at the expense of our best offensive top 4 D.

You could target that type of player with #11 in this draft, if you wanted.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This is why I don’t like trading picks for free agent rights.

What the hell is the point? You are telling the player you basically now have to bend over to his demands because you gave up assets to begin with.

I’m sure Andrew MacDonald gave them a break when they dealt for him early.

Chasing to overpay mediocrity. Woo

That's not at all what it means -- they gave up minor assets to get Hayes early for negotiation. It's strategic for Hayes as well if there can be no conversations with other teams. If Philly offers him 5 years - 6 million, he could risk free agency but there's no guarantee for a market. A bird in the hand...

I don't think we traded for McDonald's rights. Didn't we trade for him and then extended him after a playoff run?

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
You just can't trade Ghost without having a replacement and the only available replacement would be Karlsson.
Ghost is the only dynamic offensive defenseman we have. He had a bad season, but losing him would create a hole we can't afford right now.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You just can't trade Ghost without having a replacement and the only available replacement would be Karlsson.
Ghost is the only dynamic offensive defenseman we have. He had a bad season, but losing him would create a hole we can't afford right now.
And I don’t think we can really sign both Hayes and EK.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Value to a team wise..

Ghost >> Ehlers
Ghost > Connor

Honestly feel like people dont even know who Ghost is at this point.

Ehlers hasnt scored a single f***ing goal in 21 playoff games :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You guys are killing me...

I’m reading that we should trade Ghost for forward help, then trade picks and prospects to replace the hole that leaves in the defense (which won’t happen anyway because available Ghost replacements don’t exist)...

SO WOULDNT IT MAKE MORE SENSE TO SKIP THE STUPID MIDDLE STEP WHERE WE LOSE SOMEONE WE CANT REPLACE AND JUST TRADE THE PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR FORWARD HELP?!?!?!?!

I swear these terrible ideas all start with the incorrect idea Ghost has to go and THEN they consider the return and our needs. It’s so backwards...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You guys are killing me...

I’m reading that we should trade Ghost for forward help, then trade picks and prospects to replace the hole that leaves in the defense (which won’t happen anyway because available Ghost replacements don’t exist)...

SO WOULDNT IT MAKE MORE SENSE TO SKIP THE STUPID MIDDLE STEP WHERE WE LOSE SOMEONE WE CANT REPLACE AND JUST TRADE THE PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR FORWARD HELP?!?!?!?!

I swear these terrible ideas all start with the incorrect idea Ghost has to go and THEN they consider the return and our needs. It’s so backwards...

People have really lost their f***ing minds. Like Homer on a bender.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People have really lost their ****ing minds. Like Homer on a bender.
This is the problem with chasing trades for the sake of making trades, which is how you get taken advantage of.

The “bias for action” mentality is spreading like a virus.

Now, of course this doesn’t mean that all trades are bad or the team can’t be improved, but this is definitely not the way to make good ones. It’s how you end up with JVR for LSchenn trades.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's relax, foolish trade proposals on the internet have no impact on Fletcher's decisions.

My suspicion is names are out there because he's trying to drum up interest, instead of having to call people and make the first offer.
This way he finds out who is in play (you'll offer me what for Ghost? how about I offer you . . . ).

There may be pressure to make moves, but it also means Scott will cover any cash flow issues (upfront bonuses which could reduce the cap hit by giving players money early in a deal, i.e. higher present value of money = lower AVV).

Fletcher was going to make some moves in any case, for one thing, with a new HC, he's probably discussed with AV the players he'd like to add, the ones considered expendable, the holes that need to be filled, and the prospects considered untouchable.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This is the problem with chasing trades for the sake of making trades, which is how you get taken advantage of.

The “bias for action” mentality is spreading like a virus.

Now, of course this doesn’t mean that all trades are bad or the team can’t be improved, but this is definitely not the way to make good ones. It’s how you end up with JVR for LSchenn trades.

I don’t care about the fans on the Internet. I care about the guy at the top who will get more & more desperate to do something at all costs as we move down the list of targets.

At least Hayes is a good player, fills a need, & will only cost cap space (realistically somewhere in the 6x6 range). I can at least live with that & it may calm that jackass down some.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Let's relax, foolish trade proposals on the internet have no impact on Fletcher's decisions.

My suspicion is names are out there because he's trying to drum up interest, instead of having to call people and make the first offer.
This way he finds out who is in play (you'll offer me what for Ghost? how about I offer you . . . ).

There may be pressure to make moves, but it also means Scott will cover any cash flow issues (upfront bonuses which could reduce the cap hit by giving players money early in a deal, i.e. higher present value of money = lower AVV).

Fletcher was going to make some moves in any case, for one thing, with a new HC, he's probably discussed with AV the players he'd like to add, the ones considered expendable, the holes that need to be filled, and the prospects considered untouchable.

I was under the impression that a player's cap hit for the life of the contract was the total amount of money owed in the contract (salary & upfront bonuses combined) divided by the number of years of the contract. Unless I'm miss understood, how would upfront bonuses reduce a cap hit? Apologies if my understanding of the way AAV is calculated is incorrect.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
How many more days until we assume Hayes won't sign?
Not until very close to July 1st. When legal tampering begins he can take the best offer he gets elsewhere back to the Flyers and give them a chance to match or better it. If he and his agent are smart that's how they will play things. Even if he has interest in playing for the Flyers it wouldn't make much sense financially not to do that unless the Flyers offered him something absurd, which they aren't going to do.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
There's simply no way to know where Hayes prefers to go. I assume the Flyers will match the best offer he gets. But maybe, for example, he likes to ski, smoke pot, and/or thinks Colorado gives him the best chance to win? In that case, he's going to Denver as long as they give him a big offer. There are so many personal factors at play it's impossible to predict.
He will probably do what 90% of pro athletes and take the best deal he can get. If all things are equal between two or three teams at that point he would obviously choose where he wants to be. He owes the Flyers nothing and even Brock Nelson didn't take a hometown discount to re-sign with the Islanders. The Flyers very well might end up having to choose between a 7th year or higher aav than they are comfortable with, or risk the terrible look of Fletcher's first big move of the off-season being an epic failure.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was under the impression that a player's cap hit for the life of the contract was the total amount of money owed in the contract (salary & upfront bonuses combined) divided by the number of years of the contract. Unless I'm miss understood, how would upfront bonuses reduce a cap hit? Apologies if my understanding of the way AAV is calculated is incorrect.

No you're right. Bonuses only effect the real dollars a player makes on a yearly basis, which can still effect trade value. Especially in back half of contracts if they are frontloaded. Cap hit is just total salary divided by total years.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Guys, don't worry.

Our GM graduated from Harvard. He's got to be super smart. Right?

And I'm sure Dave Scott graduated from a prestigious university, too.

Just let me look it up. Here it is ...

Cleveland State?????

Jeez, we're F'd!

:wg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00