Confirmed with Link: [PHI/WPG] Kevin Hayes UFA rights for a 2019 5th, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No you're right. Bonuses only effect the real dollars a player makes on a yearly basis, which can still effect trade value. Especially in back half of contracts if they are frontloaded. Cap hit is just total salary divided by total years.
Yeah the reason to front load it is to give the player more money earlier, which he and his accountant will want. And it gives the team more flexability to trade that guy long term to a team where cap hit doesn't matter, but real money does.

Call it the ANTI AMac.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t care about the fans on the Internet. I care about the guy at the top who will get more & more desperate to do something at all costs as we move down the list of targets.

At least Hayes is a good player, fills a need, & will only cost cap space (realistically somewhere in the 6x6 range). I can at least live with that & it may calm that jackass down some.
Yup, that’s exactly the scary thing.

Tons of fans come up with garbage ideas... always have and always will. But obviously they have no power, so it doesn’t matter.

Our particular slice of Hell is having people in a position of power who have the same stupid mindset as the worst fans.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was under the impression that a player's cap hit for the life of the contract was the total amount of money owed in the contract (salary & upfront bonuses combined) divided by the number of years of the contract. Unless I'm miss understood, how would upfront bonuses reduce a cap hit? Apologies if my understanding of the way AAV is calculated is incorrect.

Players don't care about cap hit, GMs do.

Players (their agents) do care about getting money now v five years from now, front loaded money is worth more to the player (he can invest it and earn 8-10% a year on average in the stock market), so a player will take less total money (lower AVV) if it's front loaded.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
So we’re back to it being a giant failure if he’s not signed?

There’s other factors involved.

Who’s to say he even wants to play in Philly?

Reactions: Tripod

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I would think he’s been invited to come see the area and facilities and meet with staff. He may have just done that, like today, or will do it soon. Then he gets the offer and accepts or denies or replies. I wouldn’t have expected anything at all until Thursday at the very earliest.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I would expect -- and hope -- that Hayes tests the market. If he snap-signs with the Flyers it means Fletcher gave him too much.

Still hoping for Karlsson or Spurgeon + Zucker.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
You guys are killing me...

I’m reading that we should trade Ghost for forward help, then trade picks and prospects to replace the hole that leaves in the defense (which won’t happen anyway because available Ghost replacements don’t exist)...

SO WOULDNT IT MAKE MORE SENSE TO SKIP THE STUPID MIDDLE STEP WHERE WE LOSE SOMEONE WE CANT REPLACE AND JUST TRADE THE PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR FORWARD HELP?!?!?!?!

I swear these terrible ideas all start with the incorrect idea Ghost has to go and THEN they consider the return and our needs. It’s so backwards...

lol calm down. i literally said we shouldn't do it cus we don't have another ghost and he is more beneficial to us...

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
has anyone read anything about provorov, tk's, and sanheims contract yet?
Fletcher said he noticed or the players noticed that there will be a shift in the way RFAs are handled and the contracts they will go after this summer and that they will all wait until after the offersheet period begins to not lose out on what will likely be an increase in salaries.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Not wanting to play here would spur on a whole new topic.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd still take EK in a heartbeat here. If he got injured like Pronger couldn't he just retire or go on LTIR anyway to open up cap space? I don't know too much about the LTIR and cap space so maybe I'm wrong.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
The bigger RFA's on all teams seem hesitant to sign right now. Some think no one wants to sign first and set the market for the league. Signing RFA's on expiring rookie deals is becoming more difficult and pricey.
this and the gm saying, everyone except giroux, can be traded may be a reason as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany