Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
Philly always obsessed with those big guys who throw the body and can play on a scoring line - but also so many of them are wildly inconsistent or don't live up to expectations.

Lindros (the standard), Keith Primeau, even Gratton spent a year or so there. Simmonds, Schenn, Hartnell. This is turning into a poor argument as I'm only giving examples of good players lol. Who else was there? Feel like I'm missing some of the bigger busts.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I may be in the minority but am perfectly fine with the way Fletcher handled this. The money is fine ,over maybe .5 million but Hayes was getting that or more on the open market. Problem for the Flyers if he hit the market he was more than likely going home to Boston. Anyone critical of the monies are not being honest with themselves, especially when they toss out tax free state deals or resigning players already established at their locales.

Boston has $12M in cap space with 3 RFAs including McAvoy. They already have Bergeron, Coyle, Heinen, and Backes at C.

In no reality was Hayes ever going to Boston unless it was for a lot less than 7.14 AAV...and that makes this contract look yet again worse.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Turris wouldn't be $6 million. Most I'd pay for him would be $4.75 and ideally closer to $4 AAV. That kind of contract can be moved to 3C with little problem.

Turris...a garbage option? You are a horrible hockey fan lmfao. In Turris worst career season he still posted 51% CF and FF. If you go back to last season (2017-2018) the CF and FF are 55% (6% CFrel and FFrel...on a LOADED NSH team - DAMN) and that was his first full season on Nashville where he posted 51 points.

Turris is 2 years older than Hayes and not 3. Turris has four seasons (not one) of 50+ points with one of those seasons being 60+.

Turris is a better option than Hayes based on contract AND ceiling play. He wiuldve required a trade, but we did trade Gudas, 2nd and 3rd, and still have Hagg. Those chips - combined with NSH desperation for a win-now mentality - could have gotten us Turris cheap.

You're too deep on Flyers shaft to objectively analyze the situation. The Hayes contract is awful. It's too much for too long and offers too much protection...literally a strikeout. To make matters worse it blocks/delays Patrick and Frost development...on a 27 year old player with a career high of 55 points (no other 50 point season) whose played a 1C role last 3-4 years.

It was a bad contract in many ways. What's done is done, but that doesnt make it any better.

Hayes could earn $7.14 AAV...on a 4 year deal. Or 7 years...at $5 AAV. To get both he gets ZERO protection. But Phila ownership working back to Cap Hell lickity split!

Heres to hoping Fletcher doesnt drop the ball moving forward

Turris scored 50+ points while playing 1C with Stone and Hoffman. He wouldn't be afforded the same opportunities in Philadelphia. Plus he's on a decline, not as good defensively, is 3 years older (about to turn 30 in August when Hayes turned 27 in May), and currently costs 6 million for 5 seasons. Kevin Hayes has literally never played 1C.

Blocking/delaying prospects is a hfboard myth. When Patrick is ready to be the 2C he either will be or will be an elite 3C.

Have constantly said that the contract is bad 5 years at 6 million would have been better.

We aren't in cap hell either lol.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Wow, wtf?!

Seven years at over 7 million for Hayes?

How on earth could Philly have thought this was a good idea?

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019
Awful deal for Flyers, amazing for Hayes though - highway robbery. 7x7M for a guy who never cracked 50 points in his career.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Philly always obsessed with those big guys who throw the body and can play on a scoring line - but also so many of them are wildly inconsistent or don't live up to expectations.

Lindros (the standard), Keith Primeau, even Gratton spent a year or so there. Simmonds, Schenn, Hartnell. This is turning into a poor argument as I'm only giving examples of good players lol. Who else was there? Feel like I'm missing some of the bigger busts.
Not sure if youre doing some kind of historical revision of the Bullies era but if you care to look at their drafts from recent years you will see how wrong that is. Every big grinding players is rumored to go to Philly because you know they are rough and tough. Simmonds and Gudas, Morin not on roster. Who are the mean Flyers now?

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
This past season - everything was our biggest problem

Turris wouldve been dirt cheap and historically offers about as much as Hayes. We wouldn't have given up much and probably couldve made NSH retain $2 AAV. Turris is an easy transition from 2c to 3c. Now all that cap space wasted on Hayes can be used for other needs (hint - not defense or goaltending, like you suggest).

Hagg probably wouldve been fine for Turris (with NSH retaining on top although wouldve cost more than Hagg to retain more than $1AAV)

what? no way hagg is enough for turris lol. Nsh doesn't need defense..why on earth would they need a 6th/7th dman in hagg. We overvalue our players a lot. Also, nsh would never retain 2 million for 4 years when they literally got rid of pk subban to free up 9million in cap space to sign duchene.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Comparing any contract to Duchene's contract is a terrible one. The guy was *supposedly* already building a house there so if that's the case of course he was going to take a discount to be there.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

Jason Bowen comes to mind - first round pick in 1992 just because he was big. Trading Greg Johnson (who would go on to play over 700 games) for Jim Cummins who played 22 games for the Flyers. But that was ages ago...

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018
Hayes was not a good signing or bad signing. He will have his best year next year. Best linemates he has ever had voracek lindbolm/jvr

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Awful deal for Flyers, amazing for Hayes though - highway robbery. 7x7M for a guy who never cracked 50 points in his career.

He actually cracked that arbitrary plateau this past season.

You take the 42 points he had with the Rangers, then you add the 13 he scored in Winnipeg. Put them together, and you have 55 points.

It's called addition, but if you can't quite figure it out, this site does it for you.

Kevin Hayes Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
While some players were overpaid today, I think Hayes was smart to sign the deal early. I think he only gets 6-6.5 today on the open market.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

lol you were right on giving examples of only good players haha. Not many guys we had were wildly inconsistent. Simmer, schenn, and hartsy gave solid production.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
He actually cracked that arbitrary plateau this past season.

You take the 42 points he had with the Rangers, then you add the 13 he scored in Winnipeg. Put them together, and you have 55 points.

It's called addition, but if you can't quite figure it out, this site does it for you.

Kevin Hayes Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Just heard on TSN some expert guy repeating same crap: Philly gave 7-7 to a guy who never cracked 50 pts.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad