Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Then let the other teams...wtf?

We have players we could move in a deal. Other Centers were available at reduced prices (Turris, etc.) that could more easily transition to 2C.

Its stunning how drunk on management these band wagon fans are
You missed the point. I was just saying this deal is not so outrageous many here say. It's not "one of the worse deals in the league". I probably wouldn't have signed him to that deal myself and traded for some stopgap 2C if Patrick+Frost as middle 6Cs are out of question.

Duchene's contract is irrelevant to this. He took discount to play where he wants. If Flyers would've signed him it wouldn't be for 8M a year.

Turris? That is one big gamble. He has not looked good with Preds.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
This is honestly the worst UFA signing since Gomez in terms of overpayment. Other guys are 1-2 mil overpaid; this is a 3-4 mil middle six player getting low end first liner money. That being said I think Hayes has yet to peak and the cap hit won't matter by year three.
Did you not just see the Jeff Skinner deal guy?

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
7.1 for Hayes
8 for Duchene

:biglaugh:
I guess you could opt to not sign him at all, but if you wanted him there’s no way he goes for less than 6.5. Duchene took a discount which he could regret. I think if you asked Sakic right now if he would take the Hayes contract he would.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Late to the party... but WHAT? That is far too much. I worry that Backstrom is going to want to be PAID

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Then let the other teams...wtf?

We have players we could move in a deal. Other Centers were available at reduced prices (Turris, etc.) that could more easily transition to 2C.

Its stunning how drunk on management these band wagon fans are

why in the hell would you want turris? 2 years older, isn't that good of a 2 way like hayes, and is just eh. Why move players in a deal for that? Why give away the assets for an aging player who is eh....? makes no sense. I can't believe some fans want to just trade guys like ghost when our biggest problem is our defense/goalies. We finally have a goalie and a great defense (we have been waiting for ghost, sanheim, provorov, and myers to play together) and people suggest to just trade ghost for a winger when we literllay have 2/maybe 3 in the cusp (farabee, frost, ratcliffe). not saying you obviously

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You missed the point. I was just saying this deal is not so outrageous many here say. It's not "one of the worse deals in the league". I probably wouldn't have signed him to that deal myself and traded for some stopgap 2C if Patrick+Frost as middle 6Cs are out of question.

Duchene's contract is irrelevant to this. He took discount to play where he wants. If Flyers would've signed him it wouldn't be for 8M a year.

Turris? That is one big gamble. He has not looked good with Preds.

Pavelski and Zuccarello are being reported to have signed for significantly less too. In addition to Duchene barely getting more.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Pavelski and Zuccarello are being reported to have signed for significantly less too. In addition to Duchene barely getting more.
Zucc and Paveliski turn 32 and 35 years old before this season starts. Duchene took less to go ti a place where he was already building a home.

Funny how people are just ignoring Skinner at 9 million....and just want to point to Duchene.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Anders Lee signs with someone for less than 7.1 today, Fletcher should be fired one minute after.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The moves the Flyers made this offseason show two things...

1. Fletcher is a below average GM, and I'm being generous. Impatient, reckless, short-sighted and not in touch with the market, at the very least.

2. The Flyers are no longer a marquee destination for players and the organization knows it. The fact that the Flyers didn't have the confidence to make bold trades, or wait until the market leveled out, proves they didn't feel good that high profile players would choose them over other teams. There was a time when marquee players wanted to play in Philly... not anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The moves the Flyers made this offseason show two things...

1. Fletcher is a below average GM, and I'm being generous. Impatient, reckless, short-sighted and not in touch with the market, at the very least.

2. The Flyers are no longer a marquee destination for players and the organization knows it. The fact that the Flyers didn't have the confidence to make bold trades, or wait until the market leveled out, proves they didn't feel good that high profile players would choose them over other teams. There was a time when marquee players wanted to play in Philly... not anymore.
Everyone wants to play for Philly. Fletcher wasn't taking chances getting the guy he wanted and did what it took.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
why in the hell would you want turris? 2 years older, isn't that good of a 2 way like hayes, and is just eh. Why move players in a deal for that? Why give away the assets for an aging player who is eh....? makes no sense. I can't believe some fans want to just trade guys like ghost when our biggest problem is our defense/goalies. We finally have a goalie and a great defense (we have been waiting for ghost, sanheim, provorov, and myers to play together) and people suggest to just trade ghost for a winger when we literllay have 2/maybe 3 in the cusp (farabee, frost, ratcliffe). not saying you obviously

This past season - everything was our biggest problem

Turris wouldve been dirt cheap and historically offers about as much as Hayes. We wouldn't have given up much and probably couldve made NSH retain $2 AAV. Turris is an easy transition from 2c to 3c. Now all that cap space wasted on Hayes can be used for other needs (hint - not defense or goaltending, like you suggest).

Hagg probably wouldve been fine for Turris (with NSH retaining on top although wouldve cost more than Hagg to retain more than $1AAV)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
"Why didn't Philly just sign Duchene?"

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the guy is already building a house in Nashville? No, that can't be right.

Give it 3 years and it will be on par.

Are you expecting Hayes to keep getting his hands messed up in freak accidents? That's Ryan's career decline right there.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If Lee gets 9 million Hayes is a steal at 7. Philadelphia is working jedi powers driving up the market and everyone's cap.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
If Anders Lee signs with someone for less than 7.1 today, Fletcher should be fired one minute after.

I would probably take Lee too but Hayes is a C, Younger and similar point production besides Lee’s 40 goal year playing with JT. They’re quite similar.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Fletcher is average GM at best. Everyone knows that. It's nothing new.

Hayes is overpayed, no doubt. But not about 3-4mil, but about 1-2mil.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Fletcher is average GM at best. Everyone knows that. It's nothing new.

Hayes is overpayed, no doubt. But not about 3-4mil, but about 1-2mil.

The term is worse than the dollars. 7 years for a player who is either going to be average in 3 years, or completely passed over by Patrick, and most expensive 3C in the league by millions. $6 x 4 or $5.75 x 5 should have been the max contract for Hayes. The Flyers should have walked away and let another team offer him this awful deal.

Reactions: hmc1987

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
The term is worse than the dollars. 7 years for a player who is either going to be average in 3 years, or completely passed over by Patrick, and most expensive 3C in the league by millions. $6 x 4 or $5.75 x 5 should have been the max contract for Hayes. The Flyers should have walked away and let another team offer him this awful deal.
Why he would be average in 3 years? His game is not about speed. He will be a same player after 4 years too. But yes, long term is problem, I would offer 5 years at max to him. But biggest problem is a NMC. But we know, Fletcher is average GM at best...

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

The contract was fine IF there were NO NMC/NTC. So Flyers cant even sell Hayes off to Seattle or dump him on a cap floor team when his play nosedives

Horrific contract

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
That's 54pt in a 1C role for 2 out of 3 seasons. He won't ever be 1c in Phila.

"Go cry about it"...typical stand-up Philadelphian

Yup 1C is Stepan then Zib on the Rangers.

Turris is a garbage option. Getting older and more injury prone, makes 6 million a season, isn't as good at defense. I can't believe that you'd rather have 6 million, 30 point scorer for 5 more seasons over Kevin Hayes.

We all know that the deal is about a million too much and 2 years too long. Doesn't block Patrick at all. Allows him to develop into a 2C instead of being forced into a position that he isn't ready for.

All the people who say he should be making 3.5-5 million per season are out to lunch and out of touch with free agency in the NHL.

I find it funny that a handful of Rangers fans are coming in here being supportive of this signing. They say positive things about Hayes and talk about how he'll be a fit in Philly. Even though Philly and NYR are huge rivals.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Yup 1C is Stepan then Zib on the Rangers.

Turris is a garbage option. Getting older and more injury prone, makes 6 million a season, isn't as good at defense. I can't believe that you'd rather have 6 million, 30 point scorer for 5 more seasons over Kevin Hayes.

We all know that the deal is about a million too much and 2 years too long. Doesn't block Patrick at all. Allows him to develop into a 2C instead of being forced into a position that he isn't ready for.

All the people who say he should be making 3.5-5 million per season are out to lunch and out of touch with free agency in the NHL.

I find it funny that a handful of Rangers fans are coming in here being supportive of this signing. They say positive things about Hayes and talk about how he'll be a fit in Philly. Even though Philly and NYR are huge rivals.
Got them a nice return at the deadline, that helps. Jets fans well...

Reactions: Dooble08

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I may be in the minority but am perfectly fine with the way Fletcher handled this. The money is fine ,over maybe .5 million but Hayes was getting that or more on the open market. Problem for the Flyers if he hit the market he was more than likely going home to Boston. Anyone critical of the monies are not being honest with themselves, especially when they toss out tax free state deals or resigning players already established at their locales.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The continually increasing cap even with a strict 50/50 revenue split actually signals the opposite.

We're headed to a lockout in 2021 or 2022 (whichever the CBA ends). Budget teams dont like the spiral (CAR, OTT, etc.) And owners will whine about needing more and resetting cap.

Would be stunned if theres no stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad