Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really depends on the new TV deal. The current deal helped juice the cap up by $5 million and the next one will be worth a ton, might even be multiple providers/deals.

Issue with the TV deal, is it's right in the middle of a lockout area, which happened last time, and due to that, despite the cap increasing due to the TV deal, it remained stagnant for the following two seasons (64.3 after the TV deal, 60.3 in the lockout shortened year, and then back to 64.3 the year after).

So you can't count on that either, as, and especially how contracts are going, and the prior 3 CBA negotiations, we could see some sort of work stoppage again.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
So, for sure this is probably an overpayment. With that, if he can be a 20 goal/55 point guy for all or most of this contract, it is going to look fine in a few years.

I do understand the seemingly consensus knee-jerk reaction that this is a big time overpayment in term/cap hit, but I think this is going to be going rate for a decent 2C going forward.

I saw a tweet that he is now the 18th highets paid C in the NHL according to AAV. He is far from the 18th best C. Understandable to gripe about that. By time he is 2 or 3 full years into this deal, though, I find it hard to imagine he is in the top 30 highest paid. By time this deal is in years 5-7, it's possible he's not in the top 50 the way salaries are escalating.

So, overall definitely an overpayment for a player who I think is more hype than value, but this isn't massively egregious like some have suggested, especially if he can be a 20/3/50+ guy for the length of this contract. Overpay but not grand larceny.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
40+ pages on this forum about Kevin F’n Hayes.

Ya’ll should put on your helmets and strap in for Duchene’s next contact now. He may get upwards of $10 million. This place may have a historic meltdown with that deal.

If I were Duchene, I’d be getting drunk every night from now until July 1st with all of these horrible contracts bein given to inferior players.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I personally don't think that he's worth that kind of money... But when you look at the contract given since Jan. 1st it doesn't blow my mind either

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Do I think this is an overpayment? Yes. For sure.

Do I think Hayes will grow on Philly fans? Yes.

I do believe Hayes is a bit underrated. Still not a 7 million dollar guy though.

Exactly how I feel. The deal looks a little rough, but there's a ton of Sticker Shock going on and Hayes the player is underrated here.

--

Also funny how concerned people are at rich owners spending money and players getting paid. This deal doesn't raise your ticket or beer prices. Hockey players in general are so underpaid vs the other major 3 sports.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
No one cares if players are underpaid or overpaid. The fans just want a winning team within a reasonable salary structure. The season if idiotic FA signing has begun.

Reactions: Dooble08

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Has anyone been watching the UFA market for years ? This is what it is , if no NMC I am fine with it.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
This contract is LAUGHABLY bad. And I like Hayes!

It's in the same vein as Clarkson, Backes, Okposo, Eriksson, Lucic, bad.

Reactions: danktopshelf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->