Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Not trying to pile on here but even for a UFA, he got overpaid, theres a reason he didnt even listen to what other teams had to say. The guy has scored 20 goals ONCE.

Doesnt even make sense to me from a Flyers perspective, it's not like they're that close to competing that the team is one Kevin Hayes away from being a contende .

But I think GMs tend to fall in love with a player of his stature and playing style and view that rarity as something to pay heavy for.

You're definitely trying to pile on.

The Flyers NEEDED a 2C and we got one in Hayes. He's young enough that he can last a while and he's got a good 2-way game.

Even if we overpaid: Who cares if it gives us results i.e. Winning a Cup?

Winning makes every issue go away in the end. If we win during his contract, then it was all worth it.

Reactions: Patrick Division

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They acquired a player's rights who was set to be a UFA and signed him to a ludicrous contract. The same **** they did with Bryzgalov.

It's not the same (considering the time we acquired both players), but I'm sure you don't really care as someone who's just trying to berate the Flyers like they're purely morons.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's not the same (considering the time we acquired both players), but I'm sure you don't really care as someone who's just trying to berate the Flyers like they're purely morons.

You're right. They've had tremendous success with their UFA signings/trading for an impending UFA and signing him to a bloated contract, then regretting it not long after.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You're right. They've had tremendous success with their UFA signings/trading for an impending UFA and signing him to a bloated contract, then regretting it not long after.

We absolutely have. If you'd care to research all of our signings over the years (let's say, since the lockout) you'd see that we're not imbeciles like you're painting us to be. I'm even counting Holmgren in this and that dude is half-moron for sure.

We, like every other team in the NHL, have good signings and bad signings. Lately, our contracts have been quite good actually. Way more good than bad.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If Duchene signs for anywhere in the 8’s it makes the Hayes contract a flat out stand up comedy. And I’m 100% fine that.

Why? If Nashville says you’ll be paid 8 mill but it’s kind of like 9 will the tax benefit, but take it or leave it bc we have our own big players to sign. If he is building a house there already and likes it there so much then he takes the deal. It’s pretty simple. Maybe look instead at Panarin who is a wing and may sign a contract nearly double Hayes.

Yeah, sure. Maybe they'd squeeze into the playoffs but that team wouldn't won nothing.

Bad contract.

? The team has no holes. Just signed a coach that only wins and takes teams to the finals. The flyers may have the most talent he’s coached or close. Like we saw with the Vegas additions, slotting of players makes a big difference.

How many points does Hayes score to make it worth the deal? I think he gets 60 next year.

They acquired a player's rights who was set to be a UFA and signed him to a ludicrous contract. The same **** they did with Bryzgalov.

Worked well with Timonen and Hartnell. An OT and win away from a cup.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Why? If Nashville says you’ll be paid 8 mill but it’s kind of like 9 will the tax benefit, but take it or leave it bc we have our own big players to sign. If he is building a house there already and likes it there so much then he takes the deal. It’s pretty simple. Maybe look instead at Panarin who is a wing and may sign a contract nearly double Hayes.

? The team has no holes. Just signed a coach that only wins and takes teams to the finals. The flyers may have the most talent he’s coached or close. Like we saw with the Vegas additions, slotting of players makes a big difference.

How many points does Hayes score to make it worth the deal? I think he gets 60 next year.

Worked well with Timonen and Hartnell. An OT and win away from a cup.
I don't agree with you, at all. You´re vastly overrating the team and your coach. AV is the paper tiger of coaches.

Yeah Hayes will probably get 50-60 Points, that's still a lot of cash for him. Even though he´s a good 2-way C.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
This is honestly the worst UFA signing since Gomez in terms of overpayment. Other guys are 1-2 mil overpaid; this is a 3-4 mil middle six player getting low end first liner money. That being said I think Hayes has yet to peak and the cap hit won't matter by year three.

Reactions: Investigator

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
This is honestly the worst UFA signing since Gomez in terms of overpayment. Other guys are 1-2 mil overpaid; this is a 3-4 mil middle six player getting low end first liner money. That being said I think Hayes has yet to peak and the cap hit won't matter by year three.

A 27 yo center who just put up 50+ points is now worth $3.5M. Thanks I needed that laugh.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
A 27 yo center who just put up 50+ points is now worth $3.5M. Thanks I needed that laugh.
Many players will put up those numbers when force fed top line minutes. Look at David Desharnais; where is he now?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Many players will put up those numbers when force fed top line minutes. Look at David Desharnais; where is he now?

So the knock here is that he was the second-best center on his previous team? Perhaps the Flyers will also force-feed him minutes, this time with superior linemates, and he’ll produce even more points...that’s how we’ll know he truly sucks.

Reactions: Patrick Division

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think most years there’s a handful of contracts where guys are 1-2M overpaid, this might be the only one like that this year.

Edit: Forgot Bobrovsky.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Hayes is a far superior player to Desharnais. Personally I don’t think it’s a bad signing, sure 1 mill overpaid this year, maybe, but that’s UFA price. Hayes has improves his overall game continuously and I wouldn’t be surprised if next season will be his best point wise. Last season he had a total of 55 point in 71 games (extrapolated that is 63 points in 82 games) which is by far the highest point total in his career. As I have always viewed Hayes as bit of a late bloomer and still do, I believe his best seasons will be those closer to his 30’s. Imo this contract will be better by the year and I wouldn’t be concerned as a Flyers fan.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't agree with you, at all. You´re vastly overrating the team and your coach. AV is the paper tiger of coaches.

Yeah Hayes will probably get 50-60 Points, that's still a lot of cash for him. Even though he´s a good 2-way C.

I think you are not looking at it all together. If you think Hayes can get 60 as the 2C. And you give Couts 70 as the 1C. Then Patrick gets at least 30 which is a big disappointment and he will likely get more. Laughton as the 4C just put up a good amount of points. Then you are talking good production and shutdown ability. The wings are stacked. Our only opening is the 3RW which could go to Frost or Farabee. Two promising rookies. Guys on our fourth line were playing too line and top 6 two years ago.

The D is set up with a mover and stable pair through out. Some very good young players with a lot of skill.

Goalies are set as everyone knows but I actually think Hart could have a slump.

AV is a very good coach who gets results immediately. He’s gone to the finals with the canucks and Rangers. Has a very seasoned set of assistants. We will see.

Two years ago the flyers made the playoffs with a much worse lineup. They were even in first place in the metro late in the year.

Last year was a disaster. No team is making the playoffs after a GM and coach change. No team is making the playoffs using 8 goalies.

If a few things go right like Patrick playing well enough to be the 2C and Frost playing like I think he will, we will challenge for the division against teams that have gotten weaker in the division as the caps, pens, and Jackets have. Canes and isles could go either way. Devils and rangers have a long way to go.

If the flyers do not make a the playoffs they are going to blow it up.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
You're definitely trying to pile on.

The Flyers NEEDED a 2C and we got one in Hayes. He's young enough that he can last a while and he's got a good 2-way game.

Even if we overpaid: Who cares if it gives us results i.e. Winning a Cup?

Winning makes every issue go away in the end. If we win during his contract, then it was all worth it.

What a horrible attitude. So I expect you to make a thread recanting every single post of support for this contract when, in 7 years time, the Flyers don't win a Cup.

We got a deal? Because the Flyers aren't winning a Cup in the next 7 years. They backlogged their best offensive prospect for a once 50 point scoring forward who plays a game that typically ages poorly. No excuses - it's a bad contract. So even if Patrick develops into a bonafide 2C TOMORROW he'll be stuck playing 3C for years to come...for no "GOOD" reason.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I think you are not looking at it all together. If you think Hayes can get 60 as the 2C. And you give Couts 70 as the 1C. Then Patrick gets at least 30 which is a big disappointment and he will likely get more. Laughton as the 4C just put up a good amount of points. Then you are talking good production and shutdown ability. The wings are stacked. Our only opening is the 3RW which could go to Frost or Farabee. Two promising rookies. Guys on our fourth line were playing too line and top 6 two years ago.

The D is set up with a mover and stable pair through out. Some very good young players with a lot of skill.

Goalies are set as everyone knows but I actually think Hart could have a slump.

AV is a very good coach who gets results immediately. He’s gone to the finals with the canucks and Rangers. Has a very seasoned set of assistants. We will see.

Two years ago the flyers made the playoffs with a much worse lineup. They were even in first place in the metro late in the year.

Last year was a disaster. No team is making the playoffs after a GM and coach change. No team is making the playoffs using 8 goalies.

If a few things go right like Patrick playing well enough to be the 2C and Frost playing like I think he will, we will challenge for the division against teams that have gotten weaker in the division as the caps, pens, and Jackets have. Canes and isles could go either way. Devils and rangers have a long way to go.

If the flyers do not make a the playoffs they are going to blow it up.

So...yeah....about those St. Louis Blues...coaching change, worst team in NHL in JANUARY...2018-2019 Stanley Cup winners.

Agreed with all other points. If we didn't add Hayes and simply brought in AV the team would've done better. For the record Hextall was FIRED for refusing to release Hakstol. As a GM he definitely wasn't bad, but he didn't care about success...too future-oriented and focused on "his" coach.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
All they need is for Bob Gainey to get another GM job and they'll be fine.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Funny how Rangers fans are saying this deal seems fine UFA deal and others who probably have not watched Hayes enough to really have educated opinion are saying he is 30 point 3C and is overpaid by 4M. Sure he is overpaid by a bit, like most UFAs are and he's contract is few years too long. But if Flyers didn't give it to him there would've been 5 other teams who would've handed out same contract for him.

Reactions: Kallio

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

In 5 years as a pro hes put up 50 points once. And you're being snidy about it? Man that's like some overly attached teenage girlfriend stuff.

It's a bad contract. Hayes is not a bad player, but hes also not $7M player. Duchene signed for $1M more and hes hit 70 points multiple times and 50 points multiple times.

Duchene is better than Hayes and better by more than $1M.

It's always sad when ANY fanbase tries to rationalize bad decisions. Hayes is NOT a bad player, but his contract is bad. It's too long for the AAV and the player has way too much control with NMC and NTC.

And that doesnt even include how it stifles our best offensive prospect, Nolan Patrick. And Patrick has already produced at the SAME RATE AS HAYES while being a teenager for 0.9M (in both first seasons Patrick produced at 0.5PPG for half the season...young kids are almost always inconsistent).

There are far more reasons it is a VERY BAD contract than the single reason it is a good one, "we need a 2c". We did not NEED a 2c.

Hart played half the year and was good half the year. Let's hope he doesnt pull a PATRICK and be BAD the other half in his first FULL SEASON. Because if he is, by your and Flyer "faithful" logic, we need to sign a 27 yr old to a $7m x 7 with NMC and NTC.

Yeah, no. It's a bad contract.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Funny how Rangers fans are saying this deal seems fine UFA deal and others who probably have not watched Hayes enough to really have educated opinion are saying he is 30 point 3C and is overpaid by 4M. Sure he is overpaid by a bit, like most UFAs are and he's contract is few years too long. But if Flyers didn't give it to him there would've been 5 other teams who would've handed out same contract for him.

Then let the other teams...wtf?

We have players we could move in a deal. Other Centers were available at reduced prices (Turris, etc.) that could more easily transition to 2C.

Its stunning how drunk on management these band wagon fans are

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

All Flyers fans should leave this thread. You will like Hayes. This contract is fine. Maybe slightly overpaid, but fine.

I'm glad we didn't give it to him, but he is a really solid player. He puts up decent offensive numbers and is pretty good defensively and able to play in all situations.

I hate the Flyers. And it always sucks to see a guy you enjoyed playing going to a long-time rival. But this thread is so ridiculous and just smells of people who are stat-watchers, with little actual knowledge of how important a piece Hayes can be to a contending team.

There has been one contract handed out so far that people aren't crying about being overpaid. The fact is, we all knew Hayes was getting 6.5 or more on a contract. If you can anticipate the price, it's not that overpaid.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad