Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
As someone who hated the signing... If Hayes plays anything like he has in the preseason he's not a bad signing. Dude does everything

everyone always brings up 50 points. He wasn't payed the amount he got because of points. Its because of his overall play. Still a million too much but flyers paid that to get him. He easily would've gotten 6+ from any team he went to

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Salary at 6 million would be more to my liking... 7 is high. I think he’s got 3-4 high quality years left but those last 2-3 years could be tough. He was never my favorite Ranger, but the guy is big and versatile.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hayes is 27, but he has the NHL mileage of a 24yr old like Bo Horvat. He's probably overpaid by 1.000 and 1-2yrs, but I don't think that's cap crippling by any means. Guys with 1-2yrs left aren't that hard to move if push comes to shove.

Reactions: TheKingPin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So, for sure this is probably an overpayment. With that, if he can be a 20 goal/55 point guy for all or most of this contract, it is going to look fine in a few years.

I do understand the seemingly consensus knee-jerk reaction that this is a big time overpayment in term/cap hit, but I think this is going to be going rate for a decent 2C going forward.

I saw a tweet that he is now the 18th highets paid C in the NHL according to AAV. He is far from the 18th best C. Understandable to gripe about that. By time he is 2 or 3 full years into this deal, though, I find it hard to imagine he is in the top 30 highest paid. By time this deal is in years 5-7, it's possible he's not in the top 50 the way salaries are escalating.

So, overall definitely an overpayment for a player who I think is more hype than value, but this isn't massively egregious like some have suggested, especially if he can be a 20/3/50+ guy for the length of this contract. Overpay but not grand larceny.
55 points would be a career high for Hayes, doubt he hits that regularly through this contract.

The simple reality of age in the NHL is that most players peak in their mid-to-late 20s, start declining in their late 20s, then decline much more rapidly trough their 30s. Hayes will be right around his 34th birthday when this contract ends, don’t be surprised if he’s substantially worse than he currently is for the last ~4 years of his contract.

He’s quite overpaid already, and most likely it’ll just get worse. Terrible contract, reminds me a lot of when the Leafs signed Clarkson.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Jul 27, 2019
Hayes contract is among the worst and most likely he'll end up being overpaid 7 out of 7 seasons. But Clarkson was pure garbage when Leafs signed him. To reach Clarkson's nadir, Hayes has to produce 20-25 points per 82 games.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
he looks good in the preseason of the first year of a 7 year deal, looks like it's time to spike the football on all those haters

I mean, even if Hayes is liked in Philly and fans are really happy with his 2 way play with 50 points. Fans of other teams would still (and I don't know what drive them) say things like...overpaid...bad...worse contract...he suck...Philly got rob or even more stupid like comparing Point contract with Hayes lol.

We needed a 2C with size,good defensive play and that can be used in PK. We got that for what? 1 mil. Overpayment? Lol so what. If he underperform or the Flyers are in cap hell and can't sign their prospect, then it would be a failure. Right now I think the majority of Flyers fan are ok or happy with the signing, no matter the hate from other fan base.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think there is going to be a large contingent of Flyers Fans that are going to appreciate Kevin Hayes.

Not elite, but the epitome of a 2nd line center.

Good offensive player that has worked hard to be a good defensive player as well.

I think he has grown to be more comfortable with who he is as a player and can see 45-55 points annually for the next 5 years at least.

My one critique would be for him to shoot more. He needs to better understand when to be a bit selfish.

Other than that, you have a very solid and in my opinion somewhat underrated player.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think there is going to be a large contingent of Flyers Fans that are going to appreciate Kevin Hayes.

Not elite, but the epitome of a 2nd line center.

Good offensive player that has worked hard to be a good defensive player as well.

I think he has grown to be more comfortable with who he is as a player and can see 45-55 points annually for the next 5 years at least.

My one critique would be for him to shoot more. He needs to better understand when to be a bit selfish.

Other than that, you have a very solid and in my opinion somewhat underrated player.

This is a good post. We didnt sign a star, we signed a good hockey player. I'd have been 100% fine with the contract if it didnt have a NMC, but like every other player who hits UFA, hes overpaid slightly to secure his services. That's just the nature of the market. Realistically hes probably a 6-6.5M player.

I doubt hell hold up his performance over the life of his contract, but he likely wont have to with the plethora of young talent we have. It's also entirely possible we extend his productive years by moving him to RW in a few years, much like we did with Giroux to LW.

Reactions: captainpaxil

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
This is a good post. We didnt sign a star, we signed a good hockey player. I'd have been 100% fine with the contract if it didnt have a NMC, but like every other player who hits UFA, hes overpaid slightly to secure his services.
get rid of the NMC and make it a 5 year deal and I would have been thrilled with the contract.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
55 points would be a career high for Hayes, doubt he hits that regularly through this contract.

The simple reality of age in the NHL is that most players peak in their mid-to-late 20s, then decline. Hayes will be right around his 34th birthday when this contract ends, don’t be surprised if he’s substantially worse than he currently is for the last ~4 deals of his contract.

He’s quite overpaid already, and most likely it’ll just get worse. Terrible contract, reminds me a lot of when the Leafs signed Clarkson.

Dont be silly man. Clarkson's deal was ludicrous. It was a bad contract for a bad player. Hayes is overpaid slightly but he's still a damn good player and will be for 3/4 years at least.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Hayes contract is among the worst and most likely he'll end up being overpaid 7 out of 7 seasons. But Clarkson was pure garbage when Leafs signed him. To reach Clarkson's nadir, Hayes has to produce 20-25 points per 82 games.
Hard to tell how contracts may work out. Maybe you end up beeing right, all though I think you are wrong. How mutch have you watched him and how will you describe him as a player?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
For the record, forwards historically peak in their early 20's, so he isn't really "just entering his prime".
That tends to be true to top end talent and it's typically a players peak as far as offense, not necessarily overall play. Bigger, two way players tend to peak at a later age. Couturier right now at 26 going on 27 is much better than he was at 22-23. Same can be said for Kopitar, Bergeron, Thornton, and Wheeler for example. These trends also aren't true for every player so it's silly to assume that someone is beyond their peak just by looking at their age and ignoring their actual progression. Regardless, the conversation was regarding Hayes and Zuccarello so if Hayes is beyond his peak then Zuccarello who is 5 years older is about to fall off a cliff.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

The simple reality of age in the NHL is that most players peak in their mid-to-late 20s, then decline. Hayes will be right around his 34th birthday when this contract ends, don’t be surprised if he’s substantially worse than he currently is for the last ~4 deals of his contract.

55 in 71 games or on pace for 63 points. I don't see why he can't hit 60 points for the next couple of seasons while playing with Voracek and JVR/Lindblom.

One of these things is not like the other: Clarkson, Horton, Hayes, Lucic…...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes he is no one special, but just strengthen my theory about mediocre players on a very large contract, but I`m sure AV don`t mind another center on his team. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->