Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Hayes is grossly over paid, but he's still damn good player.

Never understood why people equate overpaid = trash.
Certainly not trash, but given the impact of the cap in the NHL, a decent player getting overpaid can be just as bad (or worse) than a player who's terrible and making less money. I would certainly not want Kevin Hayes on the Flames at that contract.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Certainly not trash, but given the impact of the cap in the NHL, a decent player getting overpaid can be just as bad (or worse) than a player who's terrible and making less money.

Is this a stealth way of claiming Hayes is a worse contract to have than Lucic? :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Is this a stealth way of claiming Hayes is a worse contract to have than Lucic? :laugh:
lol oh god no. Lucic and Neal are two of the worst contracts in the league (although I still have fool's hope that Lucic discovered a magical skate-faster training regimen this summer). I was thinking more along the lines of, say, paying Zac Rinaldo a million a year or something.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
games played...or years played. Both Bo and Kevin have played in the league for 5 years and their games played are 377 and 381. Kevin just joined the league late whereas Bo joined in his draft+1.

Pretty fuzzy math. I've played no games in the NHL. Does that mean I have the same NHL mileage as Kakko?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Alright alright alright who cares it's the same regurgitated crap over and over again.

"He's WAY overpaid"
"Sure but he's doing well"
"STILL he's overpaid"
"Others are overpaid too who cares he was a FA"
"BUT bro he's sooooooooo overpaid"

The season hasn't even started.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
He's been fantastic on both ends of the ice and the PK in preseason

I too judge my players' performances at times when they play against AHL players. I mean it's not like he's a couple years into to the league where you don't know what you are getting. You know exactly what you are getting and it's not worth no where near $7M.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
7M for Hayes is fine. He’s an excellent player whose overall points have been held down by lack of minutes early in his career, being played in a defensive role in the middle, and almost never on the top PP unit.

That said given that he’s back with a coach allergic to giving his top players big minutes I would not be expecting career highs in points.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I too judge my players' performances at times when they play against AHL players. I mean it's not like he's a couple years into to the league where you don't know what you are getting. You know exactly what you are getting and it's not worth no where near $7M.

Cool story.

Reactions: Starat327

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Yup, we'll get a very good 2 way forward who excels at the penalty kill and will get around 60 points or so for the next handful of years. I'd say that's worth around 6 million these days, yet you have to overpay because it's free agency. Not a huge deal when you have the cap space and it fills a need for your team.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
7M for Hayes is fine. He’s an excellent player whose overall points have been held down by lack of minutes early in his career, being played in a defensive role in the middle, and almost never on the top PP unit.

That said given that he’s back with a coach allergic to giving his top players big minutes I would not be expecting career highs in points.

I'd hope he gets his career high in points this season. He'll be playing on the 2nd line with Jake Voracek and either James Van Riemsdyk or Oskar Lindblom. From what I've seen, those players are better than his previous line mates.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The contract is fair value for a second line ufa center... Have to look at % of the cap, and when you do that its fine.

Its almost exactly the same % of the cap Zajac got in 13/14 and between the % of the cap Dubinsky and Stepan got in 15/16.

Reactions: Curufinwe

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Centers are not equal to other positions. Never have been and never will be.

Hayes contract is on the average to maybe even low side when it comes to what UFA centers have historically gotten in this league.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'd hope he gets his career high in points this season. He'll be playing on the 2nd line with Jake Voracek and either James Van Riemsdyk or Oskar Lindblom. From what I've seen, those players are better than his previous line mates.

Have you seen the way AV has distributed ice time through his career in VAN and NYI. Ryan Kesler is the only instance of a 20 min player and it was just barely.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Yup. And he didn't sign a six year deal. He signed a three year deal with a 9 million dollar qualifying offer. Good for him. He'll get 13 from Tampa to even It out at that point.
Go back to the thread where I said he would sign a three year deal. Before it happened. He even signed less than I expected. :)

6.7M per is a lot less than the 10M per that you said he DESERVED.

I guarantee he won't get 13M from Tampa after this contract is over hahahah. Then again, you're the last person I would rely on for wisdom in this sort of matter since you've already been proven wrong.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Have you seen the way AV has distributed ice time through his career in VAN and NYI. Ryan Kesler is the only instance of a 20 min player and it was just barely.
And?

Only 26 forwards played over 20 minutes a game last year....and the Flyers had 2 of them. Shaving 1:30 to 2 minutes off of them and giving them to others is not necessarily a bad thing since it keeps them fresher.

As for Hayes...your comments don't apply. It's not like we are expecting him to play 20 minutes a game. What we are saying, is that he likely has Vopracek and JVR/Lindblom as his wingers this coming year and Jake is better than most he has ever played with. And so far, the duo looks great especially with Lindblom on the other wing....a big, cycling line creating lots of chances.

Also...if he plays like he has on the PK so far, his impact will be WAY more than just points. It will be limiting goals...something that lots of people ignore.

Reactions: Dooble08

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Go back to the thread where I said he would sign a three year deal. Before it happened. He even signed less than I expected. :)

6.7M per is a lot less than the 10M per that you said he DESERVED.

I guarantee he won't get 13M from Tampa after this contract is over hahahah. Then again, you're the last person I would rely on for wisdom in this sort of matter since you've already been proven wrong.
He does deserve TEN million on a SIX year deal, which is again why his QO is NINE million in THREE years. I'm trying to emphasize numbers to you at a sesame street level so that you can understand it a bit better. Should I bust out the count too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad