Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by MiamiScreamingEagles, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancingPanther May the four winds blow you safely home

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    "Hardest worker"

You've gotta be kidding me. What an honor

2. deadhead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Actually, that's something that would impress me, I assume it's a game thing, since it's voted on by other coaches.
    [i.e. they wouldn't know if he's a hard worker in practice or the weight room . . . ]
    A kid who works as hard without the puck (just not looking to pad stats) is going to have a better shot at the NHL, all else held equal.
    That's because most stars at lower levels are going to be bottom six/third pair guys in the NHL, simply a matter of "numbers."
    Especially on good teams, so working hard without the puck will make them more valuable while they learn the game.

Just look at the Flyers, someone like Friedman is only making the team on the 3rd pair, probably zero PP time, and he may be paired with someone like Ghost - so if he doesn't work hard without the puck he has no value.
    Definitely applies to players like Laczynski and Cates, they'll be bottom six, maybe 4th line, no matter how much they scored in college, defense and forechecking will be key to them making the NHL and getting a chance to show they can do more than that.

Even someone like Frost is looking at a 3rd line role at best, doubt AV will have much patience with him if he doesn't aggressively back check.

3. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student/law/stat/research
    Home Page:
    Once won the "most improved student" award at age 18 in Geography for my year in final year of "college" (so age 16-18 post-school).

It pissed me off so much. Had to go up on stage to get it and it felt like a "well, at least you tried" award with all these parents looking at me and then each other with their "aww, look at that stupid sporty kid who tried hard" look on their faces, as I had a skinhead and just looked like a thug and they did say anything apart from the name of the award...

was even more pissed off 2 minutes later as my girlfriend won the "best student" award and I had ~592/600 and she had ~590/600 over the 2 year course. Insult to injury was she got £100 for it and I got £25. She also left me maybe 3 weeks later. That bullshit award was cursed. :laugh: (it could have been my childishness, alcohol use, narcissism and bad attitude at that age that did it though... maybe.)

Also once won a "fairplay" (basically Lady Byng) award for my water polo league. I think they only gave it out twice... I dont think I collected it tbh. (did not go to the awards for some reason.) Though I was a petulant kid back then. Now I would have been honoured. Especially as I am a pretty dirty player.

4. DancingPanther May the four winds blow you safely home

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Most improved

Implying you were bad to start

Appleyard likes this.
  5. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Yeh. When I was the best from the start haha. Though tbh my girlfriend worked really hard throughout while I f***ed around in first year and then got full marks in final year as I wanted to beat her and was behind going into the year haha.

6. deadhead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

7. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Haha. I never do really. Only feign it. I cant be mad for more than maybe 1-2 days even in worst case scenario, hold no grudges, let bygones be bygones etc. My brother is the opposite which causes some interesting friction.

8. Deadpool8812 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Is hardest worker like the participant award?

TB87, Appleyard and DancingPanther like this.
  9. Stizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Philadelphia Flyers Prospect Mixtape Highlight Video: 2019/2020 Season

Bobby Brink (0:05)
    Morgan Frost (2:18)
    Cam York (4:40)
    Yegor Zamula (6:36)
    Tanner Laczynski (8:18)
    Wyatt Kalynuk (11:07)
    Noah Cates (11:55)
    Misha Vorobyev (13:30)
    Jay O'Brien (15:09)
    Mark Friedman (16:45)
    Wade Allison (17:48)
    Connor Bunnaman (19:00)
    Mason Millman (19:10)
    Isaac Ratcliffe (19:27)

BigToe, Flyotes, Rebels57 and 11 others like this.
  10. sregdoor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nice work, thanks for putting this together and posting.

11. Stizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  12. deadhead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    wrong thread

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Re-watching the RUS-CZE WJC preliminary round game today and it was pretty funny how much better the Russian PP1 moved the puck & created more shooting/passing lanes once Romanov was taken off and Zamula replaced him. Sooo much more dangerous with Zamula.

14. Stizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Here's part 3 of my prospect rankings and write-ups. Part 1 & 2 are quoted.

After Cates, I really struggled with a ranking for various reasons. Some players I have a small recent sample size on. Some just have big question marks for one reason or another, yet still have solid reason for optimism.

----

7) Mason Millman

I was really lackadaisical with my Millman watching, but I'm definitely buying his profile from a statistical standpoint, age, and upward trajectory.

He's still 18 for almost 2 months. That shit counts big in my world. I'll gladly gamble on a young, rapidly developing athletic kid, with size and a brain.

He may have gotten lost in Flyers prospect hype circles outside of this board because he's a new, unfamiliar name, and we have so many damn prospects.

----

8) Jay O'Brien

For me, O'Brien and Allison were probably the toughest players to rank on the whole list. JOB's path is, of course, concerning, but I am more sympathetic to his plight than most. My hatred for Providence's hockey style can not be understated. I put that program at the top of the list for boring, overly suppressive college hawkey teams.

I only saw him play once for Penticton. So, I'm pretty much just defaulting back to what I've seen in the past, and I'm mostly a big fan of his play style and skill.

His shift videos from his USNTDP games still stick in my mind as majorly favorable, and l liked his WJSS a lot as well.

I have also said multiple times that O'Brien way outplayed his actual point totals at Providence in the 5 or so games I watched of his college stint. The exact opposite of what I said about Rubtsov and Ratcliffe at this time last year, who I said had better stats in 18/19 than actual quality of play.

So, I'll just trust my eyes again, and plop O'Brien in this spot gambling on his past showings of skill and tenacity. Plus, he's also still only 20 years old. Not 23-24 years old like the players immediately following him on my list.

----

9) Wyatt Kalynuk

This might be a bit of a protest ranking from me. As my past rankings have shown, I like Kalynuk quite a bit. Unfortunately, his reluctance to leave college just seems absurd. He entered college at a very late age. Him staying all 4 seems unreasonable.

I'd completely understand if he wants his rights traded out of Philly to sign elsewhere, but spending another season in Wisconsin I don't understand at all. He'd be turning 24 at the end of his senior season.

----

10) Misha Vorobyev

Yup. I'm still here. Not sorry. I just ranted about this guy a month ago in a thread where people were talking about Chris Stewart. I'll just quote it here instead of, surely, being somewhat redundant.
    ----

11) Mark Friedman

This starts the "Stizzle values right-handed defensemen" portion of my ranking. No one left on my list outweighs the importance of throwing as many darts as possible at a premium position with a league-wide shortage.

I've said this a million times, but it's worth repeating. Being a defenseman on a Scott Gordon AHL team sucks very badly. It often also sucks trying to evaluate defensemen on the Phantoms. The Phantoms defensemen are at such a handicap in Gordon's system.

Friedman has shown enough that he warrants an NHL roster spot next year. Friedman's skating is majestic. At the very least, he plays with bite, is a pain in the ass, and draws a ton of penalties.

I'm staunchly against trying to sneak him through waivers. Not a repeat of the NAK situation. I want to see him after being coached up properly by AV. If it doesn't work out, so be it.

This guy should be your #7 defense healthy scratch, not Hagg. He can be #4 on our RHD depth chart, while Zamula starts in the AHL, and serves as our #4 on the left side depth chart. An easy call imo.

TheKingPin, VladDrag, TB87 and 6 others like this.
  15. deadhead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think you're wrong about Vorobyev, blaming Stewart for his failing ignores he's had three shots at winning a job.

Now part of the problem is fit, he's simply not a 4C in the NHL, lacks speed and attitude, he doesn't forecheck and hit, he's a playmaker but he's not going to beat out Frost or Patrick (if he returns) at 3C. All you have to do is look at Bunnaman v Vorobyev at 4C and it's obvious who is a good fit.

IF he improves his skating, and commits to a bottom six role (now you know why Hextall tried to instill that attitude in marginal prospects) he might make this team, but his best bet is to be traded to a bad team where he can get 3C minutes with some offensively skilled wingers.

iceman42 and renberg like this.
  16. Adtar02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If he can stay healthy. I still think German will be a better player than misha.

orangey and renberg like this.
  17. Stizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    German was healthy this year. I thought he looked pretty terrible. I don't know what happened to the guy after leaving Chicoutimi, but he's regressed badly.

Misha outplayed him this year by a large margin. Even with a clear linemate disadvantage. Misha got stapled to Gabriel & Ratcliffe a large portion of the season. Both were dreadful. Although, Ratcliffe did come on very strong late in the year. German had much better linemates to work with (Kase, Sushko, etc).

18. Adtar02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Slightly confused

Injuries again stall progress of former Flyers first-round draft pick German Rubtsov | On the Fly

19. Curufinwe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He missed three weeks after getting a shoulder injury.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

But Vorobyev had a great season in the AHL. People writing him off are doing the same thing with him that they did with Laughton when he struggled in the NHL before his ELC was done.

20. BlackandOrange Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Was digging into Ratcliffe's stats in his first season of junior. Seems like he struggled a little bit at first before figuring it out in his 2nd season. His 2015-16 Storm season is similar statwise to his 2019-20 Phantom season. Let's hope we see a similar jump with the Phantoms. Because gosh-dang the 2018-19 Storm playoffs were like a Disney movie.
    upload_2020-5-26_15-9-9.png

TheKingPin likes this.
  21. Curufinwe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Would you say you did a "quick study" of his stats? :DD

22. FLYguy3911 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That Disney movie featured Nick Suzuki.

23. BlackandOrange Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not going to argue that Suzuki should be the middle character on the poster.

24. wasup Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It is why lists are just lists . People on here are just raving about NAK now but was on nobody's top 15 lists in the last couple years . Lists are fun and are meant to be debated but don't get to caught in them .

25. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Someone posted a league wide best prospects list with these parameters on the main board:

***Top 70 best prospects with less than 35 NHL games played right now, prior to the 2020 draft***

NAMEPOSTEAM
    1Kirill KaprizovFMIN
    2Igor ShesterkinGNYR
    3Bowen ByramDCOL
    4Ilya SorokinGNYI
    5Alex TurcotteFLA
    6Rasmus SandinDTOR
    7Noah DobsonDNYI
    8Vasily PodkolzinFVAN
    9Vitali KravtsovFNYR
    10Alex NewhookFCOL
    11Moritz SeiderDDET
    12Dylan CozensFBUF
    13Trevor ZegrasFANA
    14Ilya SamsonovGWSH
    15Victor SoderstromDARI
    16Barrett HaytonFARI
    17Filip ZadinaFDET
    18Peyton KrebsFVEG
    19Spencer KnightGFLA
    20Ty SmithDNJ
    21Erik BrannstromDOTT
    22Grigori DenisenkoFFLA
    23Nils LundkvistDNYR
    24Evan BouchardDEDM
    25Matthew BoldyFMIN
    26Cole CaufieldFMTL
    27Juuso ValimakiDCGY
    28Tobias BjornfotDLA
    29Ville HeinolaDWIN
    30Owen TippettFFLA
    31Morgan FrostFPHI
    32Philip TomasinoFNSH
    33Connor McMichaelFWSH
    34Thomas HarleyDDAL
    35Philip BrobergDEDM
    36Eeli TolvanenFNSH
    37Gabriel VilardiFLA
    38Alexander RomanovDMTL
    39Josh NorrisFOTT
    40Oliver WahlstromFNYI
    41Joe VelenoFDET
    42Arthur KaliyevFLA
    43Bobby BrinkFPHI
    44Logan BrownFOTT
    45Nick RobertsonFTOR
    46Alexander KhovanovFMIN
    47Kristian VesalainenFWIN
    48Timothy LiljegrenDTOR
    49Ryan SuzukiFCAR
    50Lassi ThomsonDOTT
    51Jacob Bernard-DockerDOTT
    52Liam FoudyFCBJ
    53Nolan FooteFNJ
    54Kale ClagueDLA
    55K'Andre MillerDNYR
    56Cam YorkDPHI
    57Adam BeckmanFMIN
    58Ty DellandreaFDAL
    59Michael DiPietroGVAN
    60Nils HoglanderFVAN
    61Jan JenikFARI
    62Alex FormentonFOTT
    63Samuel PoulinFPIT
    64Jakob PelletierFCGY
    65Jack StudnickaFBOS
    66Klim KostinFSTL
    67Calen AddisonDMIN
    68Kevin BahlDNJ
    69Martin FehervaryDWSH
    70Justus AnnunenGCOL

A list like this is virtually impossible to put together because no one has an intimate knowledge of all NHL teams best prospects. So, props I guess?

Now....Frost should be at least top 30, Brink & York should be comfortably in the top 30. Lots of funny player placements here. Zamula isn’t even listed here either, which is strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.