Pet peeves at the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The beer vendor nearest me doesn't have the "tap" feature for credit/debit cards. Really backs up the line and guarantees you'll be missing some of the next period. Do other concessions have tap ?
I also can't stand people who wear the opposition jerseys. Yes I know it's just a game and people have the right to cheer for their favorite teams... but I still can't stand it...

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
The beer vendor nearest me doesn't have the "tap" feature for credit/debit cards. Really backs up the line and guarantees you'll be missing some of the next period. Do other concessions have tap ?
A lot of businesses that take gratuities exclude tap payment because it bypasses the tip option.

I was at the game last night (Chi/Win) and I saw someone wearing a Marchand jersey. That irked me also.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I also can't stand people who wear the opposition jerseys. Yes I know it's just a game and people have the right to cheer for their favorite teams... but I still can't stand it...
The only place I know with the tap function is the Exchange Lounge. It's absurd they don't have it.

Opposition jerseys bug the hell out of me, especially when they get up and get a little too celebratory when their team scores against the Jets. You can come in here with your jersey buddy, but don't rub peoples noses in it in their house.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
My pet peeve has always been the arena itself. The seating area is so Wonder bread, the concourses are cramped. We just replaced one barn with a slightly bigger one.

Overall I would agree. It's way better than the old arena at Polo Park, but it's still not what it should be.

Their is absolutely no reason why you can't build an arena with 15,000 seats where every seat can have good site lines, where every seat has more hip and leg room, and people can use the "facilities" and concourse without feeling like a sardine. And don't get me started on the loge seats. Any engineer that wasn't blind could have seen that the loge was going to cause problems.

Not being able to build a proper facility means you took short cuts and probably just hired the lowest bidder. Now to be a bit fair, from what I remember, MTS Centre was not built for having an NHL team in it originally, so maybe they get a bit of a pass on this one. But if the day ever comes when a new arena is built to replace this one... do it right.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
And complaining people bang on glass? You sit up there and have a big play upfront of you you will get excited and do the same. Is a pet peeve tossing hats on the ice? My pet peeve is sitting around a bunch of complainers that can't realise yelling shoot or hit him or glass banging is all part of the game. Not everyone has the hockey iq you do let others enjoy the game and if you don't like it stay home
banging on a glass is the epitome of low hockey IQ.

"hey! there's a play! how do i express my excitement? by pounding on glass!!!"
yeah, no.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The only place I know with the tap function is the Exchange Lounge. It's absurd they don't have it.

Opposition jerseys bug the hell out of me, especially when they get up and get a little too celebratory when their team scores against the Jets. You can come in here with your jersey buddy, but don't rub peoples noses in it in their house.
keep in mind that i live in toronto and i go to the Jets' games in Buffalo.
i'm paying for my ticket. i can stand and cheer whenever i want.
if i'm going to be an a-hole and taunt other paying fans? that's a difference.

this ain't Communist China. let paying patrons have a good time without you dictating who they can cheer for. everyone has a story. someone may have moved to Wpg from Edmonton and still cheers for the Oilers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Unwritten Rules Of Hockey Fan Etiquette

Warmups:

- You don't have to sit in your seat
- If a puck goes over the glass, give it to a little kid ( I say do this all the time )
- Don't flinch and scream when the puck hits the glass

Proper Attire

- Only wear a jersey if that team is actually playing.
- Most jerseys of past players are acceptable

While game is on

- WAIT FOR A STOPPAGE TO LEAVE YOUR SEAT!
- Do not yell "SHOOT"
- Don't bang on the glass
- Cheer when an injured player gets up
- ONLY talk about the game if you know what you are talking about
- It's not always the goalie's fault

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

this ain't Communist China. let paying patrons have a good time without you dictating who they can cheer for. everyone has a story. someone may have moved to Wpg from Edmonton and still cheers for the Oilers.

This is clearly what I meant. I don't mind people cheering their team, turning around and being a dick about it is different.

Reactions: Laine Fan

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
That behavior is a pet peeve of mine anyway. My 18 year old daughter (of all people) said to me last week, that she can't believe how many people go to concerts (same applies to sports) and just try to video the show they paid to watch and experience. There will be plenty of video available online at some point, just watch what's in front of you. Bank some memories, enjoy the experience.

I fear there are going to be a lot of people at the end of their lives that will have missed on a lot of what life offers because they are living in and behind their phones.

Sorry, getting a little too philosophical here....

rs_1024x759-151005162757-1024-woman-no-cell-phone-black-mass.ls10515_copy.jpg

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The Unwritten Rules Of Hockey Fan Etiquette

Warmups:

- You don't have to sit in your seat
- If a puck goes over the glass, give it to a little kid ( I say do this all the time )
- Don't flinch and scream when the puck hits the glass

Proper Attire

- Only wear a jersey if that team is actually playing.
- Most jerseys of past players are acceptable

While game is on

- WAIT FOR A STOPPAGE TO LEAVE YOUR SEAT!
- Do not yell "SHOOT"
- Don't bang on the glass
- Cheer when an injured player gets up
- ONLY talk about the game if you know what you are talking about
- It's not always the goalie's fault
Good ones. I'd add that anything general like a "Team Canada" jersey is fine.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
A lot businesses that take gratuities exclude tap payment because it bypasses the tip option.

I was at the game last night (Chi/Win) and I saw someone wearing a Marchand jersey. That irked me also.

Freshii asks you to tip and you can still tap on their machines (don't get me started on freshii asking me to tip). You click ok then tip yes or no then pay by tap or insert.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree... but I still don't like it. I've never been to a Jets road game, but if did, I wouldn't wear a Jets jersey. I would just silently cheer for them out of respect to the home town fans. I guess it's just my quirk. I'm an introvert after all :eek:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I agree... but I still don't like it. I've never been to a Jets road game, but if did, I wouldn't wear a Jets jersey. I would just silently cheer for them out of respect to the home town fans. I guess it's just my quirk. I'm an introvert after all :eek:
Nothing better than going to a Jets road game in the jersey and them winning. Seen it 4 times.

Reactions: Aggie204

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Lotsa good ones here....

Mine is the “mid shift seat leavers”...you honestly can’t wait till a stoppage in play??

Also the “get out of dodge” people who absolutely need to beat the traffic... 3 mins left, tie game and off they go! WTF??

Reactions: Ducky10

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That behavior is a pet peeve of mine anyway. My 18 year old daughter (of all people) said to me last week, that she can't believe how many people go to concerts (same applies to sports) and just try to video the show they paid to watch and experience. There will be plenty of video available online at some point, just watch what's in front of you. Bank some memories, enjoy the experience.

I fear there are going to be a lot of people at the end of their lives that will have missed on a lot of what life offers because they are living in and behind their phones.

Sorry, getting a little too philosophical here....

They are so busy filming the shows or taking nonstop pictures basically for others to enjoy that they don't even get to watch and enjoy the events for themselves.

It is pretty much a social media addiction by many people of all ages.

Just go to a concert or sporting event and watch how many people have their faces stuck in their phone the whole time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wasn't my comment, just guessing at the interpretation. Ask the other guy.

You got it right. Just a very boring, old school arena design. Lower bowl goes around, then suites go around, then upper bowl goes around. Apart from a little bit with the club lounge, there's nothing to break up the monotony. The better arena designs mix it up. Change levels, add in some group seating areas, rink side concourses. There are lots of ways to make the seating area look more exciting. And it needs another tier. It really looks more AHL than NHL. The fact that the seating is too cramped has already been mentioned. And the worst part? That design just facilitates The Wave, and there is no excusing that. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lotsa good ones here....

Mine is the “mid shift seat leavers”...you honestly can’t wait till a stoppage in play??

Also the “get out of dodge” people who absolutely need to beat the traffic... 3 mins left, tie game and off they go! WTF??

Typical game end is very close to when our bus comes and because the arena is not a timed stop, they could arrive and depart it early. We will leave early if it's getting close because if we miss the bus, we're stuck standing around the arena for another half hour. So, it's not always about "beating the traffic".

Sometimes, we just feel like getting the hell out of there because they're playing like shit and it's just annoying to watch. I think we've had more than our fair share of those games. No different than turning the TV off in disgust. In fact, I like that it sends the team a message. I'm sure they can't feel good to see their fans exiting in droves with lots of time left. Or maybe they don't give a f***, who knows?

Reactions: TheGovernment

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Lotsa good ones here....

Some people need to be home at a certain time, babysitters , young kids etc. Why do you care what they are doing?
There are at least 8 different sets of people in our section that leave early regardless of whats going on. If you park in a parkade, that extra 3 mins can save half a hour of extra time getting home.
I never understand why anyone else could possibly give a flying crap that someone else leaves early.... my advice? Worry about yourself and it makes everything easier.

Reactions: Laine Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad