Pre-Game Talk: Pens off till Wednesday... and guess who's back at practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Downie played great with Stamkos and Giroux. With the way injuries are going, he is a good option in the top 6.

That was how many injuries and surgeries ago?

I don't think that Downie is a bad player, but he ideally is on the third line not the top line.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
That was how many injuries and surgeries ago?

I don't think that Downie is a bad player, but he ideally is on the third line not the top line.

Exactly, ideally. In the current injury situation, who would you put ahead of him in the top 6? His skill level and attitude help a lot right now, but I don't expect his legs to be able to manage that role for 82 games.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
our next trade - if there is one - really needs to be a LHS top-6 player.

Niederreiter or Kane would be great! But I'd also be happy with Coyle, DSP or other righties.

I'm really more concerned about a player who could bring size and toughness WITH the skill rather than what way he shoots. When we won the Stanley Cup, we had almost all lefties. You could go down the list of other Cup teams and see similar things. Now, we're seeing more righties in the game,

The fact is, we've still got Crosby and Malkin at forward who will be here for 7-8 years and will always be the key guys on the PP, and Dmen like Maatta, Pouliot, and possibly Ehrhoff (if he's extended) as guys who can play the point on the PP. We've still got enough balance. It's really more about adding the type of guy who could bring some toughness & size with offensive potential.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would have no issue with Downie riding shotgun with Crosby and Perron the rest of the way. He's talented enough to produce there. That's really all that matters. Yeah he's not the ideal power forward type, but few are these days.

It'd be a lot cheaper to pick up a big, tough fourth liner (and dump Adams at the same time, which would be win-win).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Was going to bring this up after the trade, but forgot.

Perron is extremely good in front of the net. He screens well and has a great stick. He scored a number of tip in goals and bangers right in front. Really slick hands around the cage.

Letang, Malkin, Crosby, Hornqvist and Perron should be a hell of a unit... If the shots actually get put on net.

I still believe Crosby can QB from the point ala Kariya and be a roamer, while Malkin should be on the wall, which allows him to one time the puck.

But whatever. As long as Perron is out there, it should substantially upgrade their chances to score with his net front presence and Hornqvist when he is back. This team hasn't had two net front guys like this in a long ass time.

Yeah, PH better replace Kunitz on the top PP when he's back. With MJ keeping Kunitz on the third line, one would hope that comes to pass.

Plus, Tocchet was talking up having as many righties out there as possible with Sid and Geno. Perron makes three, and he'll be far deadlier posting up in the slot than PH. PH gets to do what he's best at, and that's straight wizardry around the net.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, PH better replace Kunitz on the top PP when he's back. With MJ keeping Kunitz on the third line, one would hope that comes to pass.

Plus, Tocchet was talking up having as many righties out there as possible with Sid and Geno. Perron makes three, and he'll be far deadlier posting up in the slot than PH. PH gets to do what he's best at, and that's straight wizardry around the net.

In a nutshell, he has the skill to QB the PP from the opposite side from Crobsy/Malkin and the grit/hands to play in front of the cage.

Having Perron out there opens up a ton of possibilities, including his one timer when he slides out to the circle or the backside pipe.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
In a nutshell, he has the skill to QB the PP from the opposite side from Crobsy/Malkin and the grit/hands to play in front of the cage.

Having Perron out there opens up a ton of possibilities, including his one timer when he slides out to the circle or the backside pipe.

I hope Perron is willing to take less to stay in a good situation, b/c he's going to rack up points on this team.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Am I the only one who has a bigger issue with Spaling in the top 6 than Rust? Rust is still pretty green, and maybe moving him down with Sutter is better for his development but, damn ... Spaling just seems to kill whatever Sid or Geno get going.

Too much chloride in the oxidation process maybe?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
doesn't Crosby have like 5 points in 2 games with Downie and was pretty much doing nothing for a week prior? If that is not his ideal spot then idk what is? haha some of you guys get so hung up on player types and what not. The guy is producing, Sid is producing, until that stops....he is exactly where he needs to be.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
doesn't Crosby have like 5 points in 2 games with Downie and was pretty much doing nothing for a week prior? If that is not his ideal spot then idk what is? haha some of you guys get so hung up on player types and what not. The guy is producing, Sid is producing, until that stops....he is exactly where he needs to be.

because it isn't that hard to see what the end result is. you didn't see a difference in downie's speed after being on the shelf for two weeks?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
because it isn't that hard to see what the end result is. you didn't see a difference in downie's speed after being on the shelf for two weeks?

ok so you move him out because he might slow down? I dont understand what you're saying. If he slows down and stops producing move him but there is no reason to do so now

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Again, for right now, Downie is fine on the top line. He's probably fine for a while with Perron there.

However, posters are talking about leaving Downie on that line through the playoffs. While it may work, it is also obvious that even healthy and rested, Downie's skating isn't there anymore. It was even slower and more laborious before his mumps break suggesting that it gets worse the more he plays. I don't think he'll last at first line minutes in the playoffs with Crosby, and I think it's ill-judged to depend on him in the top 6.

Add Downie's inability to skate with Perron's rather slow skating, and Crosby is the only person with any speed on that line to fore-check or back-check. Even Hornqvist, Perron, Crosby makes me nervous, and I think both Hornqvist and Perron are better skaters at this point than Downie.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

As long as they can figure out how to properly enter the zone first.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hope Perron is willing to take less to stay in a good situation, b/c he's going to rack up points on this team.

You never know how a guy will fit in, but Perron has all of the qualities I've wanted in a winger for some time now.

I don't see him being a problem to sign even if he does rack up points. I think he's a 30/30 guy give or take 10 points either way.

If he hits that I'd see him getting 5-6m per. Which shouldn't be an issue by 2016 with the cap prob pushing 76m plus by then.

I think Maatta and Despres will be up by then, but they are still going to be RFAs and won't break the bank. BB will get a bridge deal this summer that shouldn't be too bad. Hornqvist is signed through '17-18. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF are locked up long term.

Comeau or Downie may get a bigger deal, but JR may let them walk also. Maybe Ehrhoff gets extended? Martin will be off the books though. Dupuis will be off the books as well, technically speaking. Unless he makes a miracle comeback.

So unless they get another top six winger that needs a new deal in 2016, I don't see any problem. JR sounded like he wanted to lock him up when he said he could be here for 6-7 years also.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Guess this explains why BB is moving up:

“We'll see over time whether we need that winger or not,†Rutherford said. “There are a couple of options. One is that (Brandon) Sutter moves up because he's a top-six guy, and (Evgeni Malkin) goes to the wing. That would be one way to do it.

“Getting Beau (Bennett) going here and (him staying) healthy and consistent, that's another guy capable of being top-six. When we signed (Blake) Comeau, we didn't sign him as a top-six guy, but he's performed at that level. (Steve) Downie has shown that, when he's given the opportunity and healthy, that he can play there.

“We'll see how that plays out. If that doesn't play out right, we'll still look at adding another player.â€

Some people aren't going to be happy with a couple of things JR said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7509414-74/rutherford-six-penguins#axzz3O73TkCPP

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Guess this explains why BB is moving up:

Some people aren't going to be happy with a couple of things JR said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7509414-74/rutherford-six-penguins#axzz3O73TkCPP

For ****s sake. Malkin wasted on Sutter's wing...again?

I have to believe that's smoke and mirrors. JR and the 100 junior GMs we have advising him have to have seen what a waste of Malkin's talent and how ineffective he's been as a winger.

If you don't want to deal Martin, fine. Deal Scuderi and get Malkin a winger...

I have a better shot of banging Kate Upton than Beau Bennett staying healthy all season.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
For ****s sake. Malkin wasted on Sutter's wing...again?

I have to believe that's smoke and mirrors. JR and the 100 junior GMs we have advising him have to have seen what a waste of Malkin's talent and how ineffective he's been as a winger.

If you don't want to deal Martin, fine. Deal Scuderi and get Malkin a winger...

I have a better shot of banging Kate Upton than Beau Bennett staying healthy all season.

How happy would you be if Bennett doesn't miss a game for the rest of the season? ;)

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You never know how a guy will fit in, but Perron has all of the qualities I've wanted in a winger for some time now.

I don't see him being a problem to sign even if he does rack up points. I think he's a 30/30 guy give or take 10 points either way.

If he hits that I'd see him getting 5-6m per. Which shouldn't be an issue by 2016 with the cap prob pushing 76m plus by then.

I think Maatta and Despres will be up by then, but they are still going to be RFAs and won't break the bank. BB will get a bridge deal this summer that shouldn't be too bad. Hornqvist is signed through '17-18. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF are locked up long term.

Comeau or Downie may get a bigger deal, but JR may let them walk also. Maybe Ehrhoff gets extended? Martin will be off the books though. Dupuis will be off the books as well, technically speaking. Unless he makes a miracle comeback.

So unless they get another top six winger that needs a new deal in 2016, I don't see any problem. JR sounded like he wanted to lock him up when he said he could be here for 6-7 years also.

Comeau and Downie should be locked up to 2 year deals now. Like today.

Michael8771*

First off Malkin should never play wing for any discernible amount of time. Secondly, he shouldn't be slotting either Comeau or Bennett in the top six THIS season. IMO that's expecting too much of them. I sincerely hope he's just trying to give his guys a vote of confidence because clearly there still appears to be a gaping whole in the top six.

Michael8771*

And Sutter unequivocally is not a top six player, not on a cup contender anyhow.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
A lot of teams are out there looking to make moves right now and so far JR is the only one to make one. Only thing that bothered me about column was Malkin playing Sutters wing. 50 plus days till March 2nd. A lot can happen between now and then.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
So, on one hand we have Johnston saying this after the Tampa game:

"Recognizing sort of where we were heading with the [David Perron] trade, and I think everybody knows, ideally we would like to have those three centers [Crosby, Malkin and Brandon Sutter]," Johnston said. "So, I thought the other night (when Malkin played with Crosby on a line), they were OK together. I really like them 4-on-4, but I thought where we're heading today and tomorrow is to try to get back to three centers.

"That's our strength and we have to play to our strength."

and now Rutherford says this (which is probably based on discussions he had with Johnston?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad