Pre-Game Talk: Pens off till Wednesday... and guess who's back at practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Heh. So the best case scenario for the post-season is that the team's second-line wingers combined have a cap hit that's smaller than Spaling's? Or thereabouts (too lazy to check). That's kind of hilarious in a sad way.

In other news, I've never gotten the impression that the management sees improving Malkin's line as a priority so it's kind of nice to have it confirmed that they don't (keeps the expectations down). It's slightly less nice that they don't even see it as his line but it is what it is.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Guess this explains why BB is moving up:

Some people aren't going to be happy with a couple of things JR said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7509414-74/rutherford-six-penguins#axzz3O73TkCPP

JR has got to be saying that as a ploy (to not overpay). Johnston likes being strong down the middle. Centre's are a very important part of his game plan.

The only way Malkin should be moved to wing (permanently) is if he asks to be and with a legit top 6 centre, ie not Sutter.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don't think the cap hit really matters. Bennett has top 6 skill and is on a rookie contract. Comeau has been playing really well with Geno this season. Kunitz could also slide back up at some point.

Sid has Perron...hopefully they can gel and if we are lucky, Bennett will gel with Geno and they will both have their sidekicks for the future.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Comeau/Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett

that's not a bad top 6. In a cap league where one guy has an 8.7 hit and another has a 9.5 hit while a defenseman has a 7.5 hit we aren't going to be able to fill all the top 6 spots with high dollar players.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
No, the cap hits don't matter. I just happen to think it's hilarious that you can apparently get a pair of quality second-line wingers for the price of one Spaling. JR might agree; I'd think - and hope - that his original "making Malkin happy" budget was a bit more than the couple of millions he ended up spending.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
JR has got to be saying that as a ploy (to not overpay). Johnston likes being strong down the middle. Centre's are a very important part of his game plan.

The only way Malkin should be moved to wing (permanently) is if he asks to be and with a legit top 6 centre, ie not Sutter.

Yepp. If JR looks desperate for another wing, other GMs can use that to their advantage. Seems to me like he was trying to send a memo saying "look at all the options we have, see we don't need your wingers."

I didn't have a problem with anything he said. It makes sense to evaluate internal options before making a panic move. I'm excited that Bennett is going to get a chance.

Of course all most of the board is going to take from that is "omg Malkin at wing!!!" and I don't really think that was meant to be the message.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So, on one hand we have Johnston saying this after the Tampa game:

and now Rutherford says this (which is probably based on discussions he had with Johnston?).

He has to be trying to let the market know he doesn't NEED a winger, but would go for one. There is no way he's that old and senile that he'd contradict himself, right? :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
not only does he not want to look desperate, but im sure they want to evaluate the team from a fresh perspective now that Perrons here. I wouldnt expect a move until nearer the deadline regardless, especially how this teams health fluctuates. Unless he gets something dropped into his there is no reason to make another move yet. The last thing anyone wants is for him to make a move that will waste assets that is either ineffective (wrong fit) or uses up depth that they might need if theres another injury epidemic.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

JR came right out and said multiple times before getting Perron that the pens were going to trade for a top 6 winger, hes not doing anything for a ploy.

Guess this explains why BB is moving up:

Some people aren't going to be happy with a couple of things JR said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7509414-74/rutherford-six-penguins#axzz3O73TkCPP

I posted on here a couple times that Bobby Mac talked about Sutter with Geno as a long term answer, i also remember some cane fans saying Bobby Mac and JR were tight, so whatever Bobby Mac says about JR and the pens is pretty solid info.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't see Geno playing Sutter's wing. I just don't.

They tried it because of the injuries. It was nothing more than an experiment that mostly didn't work. With a healthy team I just don't see it happening.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
When has Sutter centering Malkin ever worked?

It's ******** to put the 2nd best center in hockey at a new position... and pair him with Sutter, who belongs on a 3rd line. That's Dan Bylsma full ***** level stuff right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yepp. If JR looks desperate for another wing, other GMs can use that to their advantage. Seems to me like he was trying to send a memo saying "look at all the options we have, see we don't need your wingers."

I didn't have a problem with anything he said. It makes sense to evaluate internal options before making a panic move. I'm excited that Bennett is going to get a chance.

Of course all most of the board is going to take from that is "omg Malkin at wing!!!" and I don't really think that was meant to be the message.

Yup I agree completely. He was answering honestly. The Pens don't necessarily NEED another top 6 wing if the stars align right. Basically, this message from JR was "let's see a healthy forward group, evaluate how we play, and then determine if we need to make a move".

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I think the motivation behind Sutter in the top-6 is purely "window dressing". By inserting him in the top-6, they hope to increase his trade value and production. That's the only way I can rationalize that decision.

The reality is... Sutter is not a top-6 center. He can produce in that role occasionally, but not consistently. He's on pace for ~15 goals and ~15 assists..

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't see Geno playing Sutter's wing. I just don't.

They tried it because of the injuries. It was nothing more than an experiment that mostly didn't work. With a healthy team I just don't see it happening.

Agreed. I think JR just said that because he is an old senile man that likes to talk. He was listing all potential options, not what his coach will actually do.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm glad people finally start to realize Johnston is the new Bylsma.

Here is a revelation...

ANY coach this org hires, will do things many of us disagree with. Let's ignore the fact that his system and how he runs his bench is almost a complete 180 from DB.

We *****ed about Kunktz attached to Crosby, and now he is on the third line.

I recently *****ed about BB not playing with Malkin, and MJ said in the PG yesterday they will play together.

I wanted Perron on the first PP, and now he is there.

Most of us dislike Adams, but he is used only sparingly.

About the only thing he is doing that most of us are annoyed with currently, is using Scuds. However, he's a vet and the other guys are pretty green. So just about every other coach would be doing the same anyway.

How anyone can be comparing him to DB is comical. MJ is actually doing many of the things we want, and you think he is like DB?

Ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad