Pre-Game Talk: Pens off till Wednesday... and guess who's back at practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i wouldn't say the practice lines have had nothing to do with the games lines. we've seen most of the lines they've used in practice, it just tends to be delayed a game, like when they practiced with the rust-crosby-malkin line a game before they ended up doing it

penguins2946*

I still doubt that MJ will actually split up the Sutter-Bennett combo. He seems to like the Perron-Crosby, Malkin-Hornqvist (which was his intended duo from the start) and Sutter-Bennett combos. But if he wants to run with:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie

Then go ahead, be my guest.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Was Kunitz actually even tried with Malkin this season? Just asking.. (Spaling´s presence in the TOP6 made me think about that, I will admit that).

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Was Kunitz actually even tried with Malkin this season? Just asking.. (Spaling´s presence in the TOP6 made me think about that, I will admit that).

Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau was a line for some time in late November.

Spaling was with Sid that time.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well, I don´t like Kunitz in TOP6 at all and I am actually glad that even in this scenario, MJ is keeping him out of there... But I just can´t imagine the line with Kunitz-Sutter-Rust being able to do something.

Spaling-Sutter-Rust line, I would just hope that that line survives the game without hurting us. And Kunitz, while really bad, might actually have higher potential with Malkin than Spaling has. That said, nice step if Bennett is in the TOP6, that´s what should matter here.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
67:51min at 5v5 so far.
Well, I guess that comes from those 3rd periods when we were playing those catchups and MJ suddenly came with Kunitz-Crosby-Malkin line..

Kunitz-Malkin-xxxx is really rare to see and maybe, just maybe it would be worth a try until Comeau/Horns are back. Keeping Kunitz on the 3rd line is a nice statement though and a good longterm indication, so I can live with that..

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sitting Farnham against the B's would be dumb. Granted they're a little softer this season, but their big defensemen are all back from injury. Ebbett on the wing against them is a bad idea, especially if Goc and Adams are also playing. If anything, the Montreal game showed that we need Farnham's energy without a doubt. I wouldn't scratch him again, to be honest. His game is infectious.

That said, glad to see Bortuzzo hasn't lost his spot. We need him, too. Although Harrington should be playing ahead of Scuderi. At least until Maatta returns (or we trade Martin).

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
could pouliot wear #58 and sneak on the ice for power plays exclusively? still feel like letangt more often than not just short circuits the power play by being forced into the qb role.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I find corsi to be a very overrated and flawed advanced stat. This is the same stat that said Tyler Kennedy was one of the most effective players in the league or something.

Also, this dude has had it out for Sutter ever since he came to the Pens pretty much.

So yeah, I think its bogus. When he hasn't been tasked with dragging down Geno, Sutter has been quite solid. Eye test ftw.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Ryan Wilson is a well-known Sutter hater (it´s really getting old) and he´s absolutely in love with Corsi . As much as it´s convincing him that Goc is a legit 3C. In fact, he´s pretty stubborn.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Wilson is kinda obsessed with his love for Greiss and Goc, and his dislike for Spaling and Sutter. According to him, Kunitz is really good this season.
Maybe post that article discussing Kunitz next?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I still doubt that MJ will actually split up the Sutter-Bennett combo. He seems to like the Perron-Crosby, Malkin-Hornqvist (which was his intended duo from the start) and Sutter-Bennett combos. But if he wants to run with:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie

Then go ahead, be my guest.

Yeah I'd be surprised if Bennett is with Malkin at this point. Thrilled, but surprised.

Hornqvist and Beau really can't be on the same line unless one is moved to LW. I think we have more than enough evidence to conclude that Bennett should never be put on LW again. You just get so much more from him on RW. Hornqvist said when he was acquired that he can play both sides, but he hasn't played LW at all since joining the team, and I believe Johnston mentioned him as a guy who shouldn't switch.

So assuming we don't make another trade, if Geno and Beau were together that would give us

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie

verses

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

Those options really boil down to:

A.) Creating arguably the strongest first line we've had in the Crosby/Malkin era, a second line that, while not as strong on the wing, has elements that will make Geno go, and a good third line that should be able to hold their own offensively.

B.) The second option focuses more on balance. Each of the 3 centers gets one of the 3 best wingers and a tweener.

I personally prefer option A. Crosby's line would draw the tough defensive match-ups (and I think would still be able to produce), and I believe that Comeau-Malkin-Bennett has enough of the needed elements to tear through second units.

I think it's easier to shut down option B, and I'm still not sold on Malkin and Hornqvist having chemistry.

Not like any of this matters though. We'll probably see option B unless another trade is made.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sutter hating aside, he does bring up some good points. Sutter is a decent 3rd line center, but should not be retained past this deal if he wants a raise. Also, his name carries weight around the league.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah I'd be surprised if Bennett is with Malkin at this point. Thrilled, but surprised.

Hornqvist and Beau really can't be on the same line unless one is moved to LW. I think we have more than enough evidence to conclude that Bennett should never be put on LW again. You just get so much more from him on RW. Hornqvist said when he was acquired that he can play both sides, but he hasn't played LW at all since joining the team, and I believe Johnston mentioned him as a guy who shouldn't switch.

I thought Johnston had referenced Hornqvist as a guy who's comfortable on either side, ditto Kapanen and Bennett. But maybe I am misremembering (TM Roger Clemens).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad