Pre-Game Talk: Pens at Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Despres shouldn´t be in the same level as these two guys, although him & Borts are both terrible since they were killed in their fights. The difference is that Despres can and will play better than this. This last month is not what we will see from him in the playoffs, I guess. Bortuzzo & Scuderi, though.. this is exactly what they are and what they will be.

Do you always round 2 bad games up to a month of terribleness? In the 16 games preceding the last two games (where he *has* been bad and not looked anything like his normal self) he had 7 points (6 of those at ES), was a +6, averaged around 18 minutes/game, and had an increased role in the PK where he hasn't been on the ice for a 4 on 5 goal against. This new idea that Despres has been on an extended slump is absurd and not substantiated by any measurable metric or eye-test (check the game threads for any complaints about his game prior to these two).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Do you always round 2 bad games up to a month of terribleness? In the 16 games preceding the last two games (where he *has* been bad and not looked anything like his normal self) he had 7 points (6 of those at ES), was a +6, averaged around 18 minutes/game, and had an increased role in the PK where he hasn't been on the ice for a 4 on 5 goal against. This new idea that Despres has been on an extended slump is absurd and not substantiated by any measurable metric or eye-test (check the game threads for any complaints about his game prior to these two).

Yep. His so-called 'slump' coincided with whispers he was playing hurt.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Will hates Despres, and when you call him on it, he claims he doesn't understand what you're saying due to language barrier. He's subtly gordie level

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup Despres has been great up until the past few. He also is supposedly playing through an injury (not that I am excusing his play), and his poor play coincides with the whole team taking a giant dump over the weekend.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yep. His so-called 'slump' coincided with whispers he was playing hurt.

And WITH EVERY OTHER DMAN struggling.

If Despres was the only one having issues, I could see the hate, but everyone has been having issues. It's a systemic issue, not a player issue.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=749468&navid=DL|PIT|home

MORNING SKATE INFO
Defenseman Simon Despres is the only Pens player absent from the morning skate. Bobby Farnham, recalled by the team this morning, is in attendance. Here is the team's workflow...

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Spaling-Malkin-Bennett
Ebbett/Arcobello-Sutter-Downie
Farnham/Sill-Goc-Adams

This makes it seem like Sill would be scratched, does it not?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Will hates Despres, and when you call him on it, he claims he doesn't understand what you're saying due to language barrier. He's subtly gordie level
And here we go again.. I´m not the only one who recognizes the late struggles by Despres. They are obvious, I´m not sure how anyone can argue that. I was wrong about the period, though. He´s struggling for 3 weeks now. Last 11 games basically or so. He´s a minus 3 over that span, not our worst d-man out there (Scuds and Borts are easily worse) but his level dropped significantly. ColePens who was one of the main Despres supporters admitted that as well, or are you questioning Cole as well?

It´s things like these that make me scratch my head. I am talking about Despres struggling and about how I´m hopeful and confident that he will bounce back when we need him the most and you will come here and defend him still. Just admit that he´s struggling and move on. It´s expecting too much, though. You will never admit anything negative about Despres. If it´s an injury thing, then it´s an excuse. I´m not throwing him under the bus. But just admit that his recent play is not good..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
And here we go again.. I´m not the only one who recognizes the late struggles by Despres. They are obvious, I´m not sure how anyone can argue that. I was wrong about the period, though. He´s struggling for 3 weeks now. Last 11 games basically or so. He´s a minus 3 over that span, not our worst d-man out there (Scuds and Borts are easily worse) but his level dropped significantly. ColePens who was one of the main Despres supporters admitted that as well, or are you questioning Cole as well?

It´s things like these that make me scratch my head. I am talking about Despres struggling and about how I´m hopeful that he will bounce back and you will come here and defend him still. Just admit that he´s struggling and move on. It´s expecting too much, though. You will never admit anything negative about Despres. If it´s an injury thing, that it´s an excuse, I´m not throwing him under the bus. But just admit that his recent play is not good..

Show me where I've said his recent play is good. If you can't, please shut the **** up.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
If Despres is hurt, they need to let him rest and recover. He's looked like a liability out there for the past few games.

It doesn't help that he is paired with Rob "i'd rather play goalie than actually play the man" Scuderi.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

It´s things like these that make me scratch my head. I am talking about Despres struggling and about how I´m hopeful and confident that he will bounce back when we need him the most and you will come here and defend him still. Just admit that he´s struggling and move on. It´s expecting too much, though. You will never admit anything negative about Despres. If it´s an injury thing, then it´s an excuse. I´m not throwing him under the bus. But just admit that his recent play is not good..
Maybe he's lost some confidence, maybe he's dealing with an injury or maybe he just going through a rough patch. But we have seen the GOOD Depres, so my bet is he will conquer what is ailing him and get better.

Scuderi can't get better. That's why I don't mind when a talented young player struggles, they can be better and that is up to the coaching staff to help them.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maybe he's lost some confidence, maybe he's dealing with an injury or maybe he just going through a rough patch. But we have seen the GOOD Depres, so my bet is he will conquer what is ailing him and get better.

Scuderi can't get better. That's why I don't mind when a talented young player struggles, they can be better and that is up to the coaching staff to help them.
That´s what I was talking about ALL DAY LONG. That he can play good hockey and that he will come back to that sooner or later. Yet I was criticized for saying that somehow.. Despres is not on the same level as Harrington, Scuds or Borts. Not even close. I´m confident that he will be back, but I will also criticize him for his actual play which is unacceptable (if it´s not an injury thing). As I´ve said all season long, he´s a 2nd pair defenseman on his normal days and hopefully he can play like one in the postseason.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

I feel the same way. We need to get through the growing pains with Despres because he has already shown us what he is capable of. The fact that he's playing despite his recent struggles is very promising and shows that the coaching staff has faith in him, under the DB regime that wouldn't be the case.

However, if he's hurt then he should be sat so he can recover.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Show me where I've said his recent play is good. If you can't, please shut the **** up.
And I was evidently talking about his recent period as well. One month/3 weeks, not that big of a difference. So I don´t know why did you go crazy about me saying that. You are the one losing a mind here, bro.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
So, scratching Goc means the coaches think he's the problem of the fourth line, not Sill and Adams?
Probably, but that´s absolutely crazy. Goc has been overrated around here, he´s not that solid as everyone thinks. Pretty mediocre player, but still miles better than Adams or Sill. Crazy decision, if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad