Pre-Game Talk: Pens at Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Well, I don't think we have a Martin, Buttercup or Czikas in the organization, so there's that. Shero drafted a single guy in that mould during his time here. Between CP's last draft and JR's selection of Jaden Lindo, there was one of that sort even selected (Uher, who sucks, imo).

And the draft is where you find them (if anyone's wondering, that we rolled the dice on Nathan Moon turning into an impact player instead of taking Martin...ditto Ben Hanowski instead of Czikas).

Once they hit free agency, they end up making more than they do for you. See: Boyle, Brian.

Shero's draft strategy was so, so flawed. D early, hope to find an impact forward late--which only ever reliably worked for the Wings, back when they were the only team with lots of scouts in Europe--fill the roster out with undrafted college players, who tend to be too friggin small to play.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think the 4th line will win us games, but I do question those decisions. It's not like it's wrong to question that. I also don't think anyone is blaming all of our losses on our 4th line. I don't really blame the 4th line for losses, but I don't give them credit for helping us win, either.

I don't think DK was asking anyone not to question the indefensible. He was arguing that in focusing on the obvious targets we were missing out on evaluating most of the big picture of what was going on.

Kind of like if you are having a heart attack and a broken nose at the same time, focusing on the broken nose to the point where you ignore the heart attack is not especially productive. Or at the very least is an extremely incomplete picture.

As I said he has a point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin playing with 13 different wingers half-way through the season is a much bigger problem than the 4th line

Especially when only one at most is arguably better than the worst wingers that say a Ryan Getzlaf played with while Corey Perry was out.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Malkin playing with 13 different wingers half-way through the season is a much bigger problem than the 4th line

Every center is over 10 different wingers at the moment - well, Goc has less.

The sooner the lineup can settle, the better. Keep otions open, tinker with it, but let guys play with each other.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, I don't think we have a Martin, Buttercup or Czikas in the organization, so there's that. Shero drafted a single guy in that mould during his time here. Between CP's last draft and JR's selection of Jaden Lindo, there was one of that sort even selected (Uher, who sucks, imo).

And the draft is where you find them (if anyone's wondering, that we rolled the dice on Nathan Moon turning into an impact player instead of taking Martin...ditto Ben Hanowski instead of Czikas).

Once they hit free agency, they end up making more than they do for you. See: Boyle, Brian.

Shero's draft strategy was so, so flawed. D early, hope to find an impact forward late--which only ever reliably worked for the Wings, back when they were the only team with lots of scouts in Europe--fill the roster out with undrafted college players, who tend to be too friggin small to play.

Who knows, it may have worked for Shero too if he were looking for those late round diamonds from Europe and not the college midget olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille