Pre-Game Talk: Pens at Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionelHutz*

post-46698-Conan-what-is-best-in-life-gif-WqD2.gif

Time for the Penguins to watch a different kind of film lol

Someone please shop Farnham's head on this.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh, and I don't care if Despres is out and Fleury is not playing, there are absolutely NO excuses for losing this game tonight. None whatsoever. I don't care that we're still missing two wingers. The Flyers played yesterday. Their No. 1 goaltender, who they depend on more than we depend on ours, is out and their two backups are really, really bad. Plus they're missing Coburn, Grossmann and Timonen on D, and even Colaiacovo went down yesterday. Depleted doesn't even begin to describe their situation. And they weren't very good even when healthy.

NO Excuses. If we can't beat the Flyers tonight, we can conclude that we can't beat the Flyers. Period. And that's a BIG problem.

And if we do beat them, then we should only derive the usual immediate satisfaction that comes with it AND not take it as some sign that the Pens took a baby step towards overcoming their demons. THAT is how bad the Flyers are.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'll wait til actual game time to see what his decision is. I need to actually see that happen before I go nuts.

But yes.. Adams/Sill are playing better as of late but still not doing what we need as a 4th line.

You mean like one of those two running another team's top players instead of just their own?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You know what kills me about Adams?

If he has so much on ice value, they should re-sign him in July. But they won't, and in fact, this is probably the last NHL season this guy will ever play.

So what the **** am I missing here?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

If he has so much on ice value, they should re-sign him in July. But they won't, and in fact, this is probably the last NHL season this guy will ever play.

That with these questions you've shown yourself to be overqualified for a career in Pittsburgh sports journalism.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Read Dejan's Q&A today.

Tons of people (probably posters from this site) ask about the 4th line, why Adams and Sill aren't scratched, etc.

His responses can basically be summarized by the following: Fans are looking for scapegoats, and that we're choosing to ignore the fact that the Rags/Isles may just be better than the Penguins in the top 9 and that we're focusing on blaming guys who play 6 minutes a game.

I don't know anymore man. It's like nobody understands how being able to throw a 4th line out there to create energy and keep momentum rolling instead of stymieing it and being liabilities is important to a hockey team.

"Rolling 4 lines" must be a new concept to the game I love.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Shut your pie hole! We are so close to getting rid of him. Don't talk like that and jinx us! It will cause the inevitable extension of Adams in June.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Read Dejan's Q&A today.

Tons of people (probably posters from this site) ask about the 4th line, why Adams and Sill aren't scratched, etc.

His responses can basically be summarized by the following: Fans are looking for scapegoats, and that we're choosing to ignore the fact that the Rags/Isles may just be better than the Penguins in the top 9 and that we're focusing on blaming guys who play 6 minutes a game.

I don't know anymore man. It's like nobody understands how being able to throw a 4th line out there to create energy and keep momentum rolling instead of stymieing it and being liabilities is important to a hockey team.

He kinda has a point. Yeah, it is annoying, beyond annoying. But those two getting a handful of minutes is not why the Pens have looked like crap. They are not even in the top five reasons.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Read Dejan's Q&A today.

I don't think he's wrong, but it's also dodging the question. The Islanders DO have a better top 9. The accuracy of that point doesn't affect whether there's an even larger gap on the fourth, which there most-definitely is.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think he's wrong, but it's also dodging the question. The Islanders DO have a better top 9. The accuracy of that point doesn't affect whether there's an even larger gap on the fourth, which there most-definitely is.
They have a better top 9...we have better puck-moving d-men...if there wasn't such a huge gap on the 4th line, it'd be a really even match. Unfortunately, having puck-moving d-men as a team strength doesn't help very much when you're constantly committing turnovers in the neutral zone, especially against fast, skilled, physical forward groups like Isles/Rags...

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Dejan clearly is 100% correct - none of the last cup winners had a 4th line they relied on and played more than 6min a game.

Geez. They are a big issue, and don't help with the other big issues the Penguins have had. But they are a very big issue. Which teams are succesful 3-line (2-line in the last few games, really) teams?

Michael8771*

Scratching Goc instead of Sill or Adams would be a bizzare move.
It would mean that this team isn't run any better under JR and MJ then it was under Disco and Shero! How imbecilic are these guys, really!!!!:rant:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The 4th line is a problem. Blows my mind why the organization is so content to ice one of the worst 4th lines in the league every year when upgrading that unit is beyond easy. That said, I don't think we've been struggling lately because of the 4th line. The decision making and puck management of a lot of our higher lines and D-Men has been one of the biggest culprits in our recent struggles.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think the 4th line will win us games, but I do question those decisions. It's not like it's wrong to question that. I also don't think anyone is blaming all of our losses on our 4th line. I don't really blame the 4th line for losses, but I don't give them credit for helping us win, either.

Michael8771*

How can this team possibly win with such inane decisions. I don't understand how a player as abysmal as Sill even has an NHL job. And now he'll play OVER a proven commodity and good face off guy like Goc? This team is run by a group of derelicts.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He's not wrong in saying that their top nine is comparative or even BETTER than ours, but what turns the tide is having a 4th line that creates positive energy, physicality, and isn't a liability in that you can throw them out there at ANY time.

Last season against the Rangers, that Boyle-Moore-Dorsett line was fantastic, and certainly way better than anything we could throw out there.

And for the life of me I don't see how anyone can watch 4 games against the Isles this season, watch Martin-Cizikas-Clubberbuck and say "Meh, what's the big deal"

I don't care if it's the 1st line, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Just put your best ****ing guys out there. This team doesn't, and hasn't for a while now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the 4th line will win us games, but I do question those decisions. It's not like it's wrong to question that. I also don't think anyone is blaming all of our losses on our 4th line. I don't really blame the 4th line for losses, but I don't give them credit for helping us win, either.

I just glanced DK's 12 Q's. What I gleaned from it was 'it's not why the Pens are losing' and, ultimately, when Horny and Comeau return, the trickle down will take care of the 4th line.

Basically, it ignores what this 4th line is by claiming the 4th line on this team when all are healthy will be good (apparently good with Craig Adams, which in itself seems counterintuitive).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's not wrong in saying that their top nine is comparative or even BETTER than ours, but what turns the tide is having a 4th line that creates positive energy, physicality, and isn't a liability in that you can throw them out there at ANY time.

Last season against the Rangers, that Boyle-Moore-Dorsett line was fantastic, and certainly way better than anything we could throw out there.

And for the life of me I don't see how anyone can watch 4 games against the Isles this season, watch Martin-Cizikas-Clubberbuck and say "Meh, what's the big deal"

I don't care if it's the 1st line, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Just put your best ****ing guys out there. This team doesn't, and hasn't for a while now.

Yep, the Rangers, the Isles, those teams can throw out their fourth line against anyone (as distinct from the Pens THINKING they can throw out their fourth line against anyone).

Michael8771*

The thing that concerns me more than anything is our inability to recognize who actually contributes and who doesn't. Even if we didn't make another trade, we could still ice a better 4th line with in house players. It wouldn't be a great 4th line by any means, but it would be less detrimental to the teams success.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Malkin playing with 13 different wingers half-way through the season is a much bigger problem than the 4th line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille