Salary Cap: Penguins Trade Deadline Thread #66: We need more trade deadline snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ok boys maybe I’ve had a couple too many but I still to this day have no clue how a GM in the NHL works. With Hextall in an absolute no brainer decision to shop for a top 6 scoring forward… how has a deal not been done by now? Pittsburgh as a group are in a great spot to not only make the playoffs but to compete in the east for a chance to make it to the finals. When looking up and down their lineup there are questions marks at the middle 6 RW position, bottom pairing RD, and backup goaltender. There is a clear need for one position and that is the scoring forward. You include a 1st, Kapanen, plus a prospect like Negare and you get your guy! You can’t tell me a team wouldn’t make a move for something like that regardless if he’s a rental or not. Hextall needs to stop worrying about the damn present and realize the time to win is still now and for at least the next 3 years.
I mean.. yes. Kap has been trying to figure it out since preseason ended. It's NOT going to work with him. I have no doubt he can still be a solid player. It's just not going to be here. "We can keep Kap and hope he gets hot for a month or two." ITS NOT HAPPENING HERE. I've never seen a guy fumble such easy passes. He has a noodle stick. He doesn't backcheck. He doesn't compete. What's the plan exactly? Hope and pray Sid's line scores 95% of the goals? IF we get healthy, things fall into place. Zuck takes over L2 LW. McGinn locks in a spot. Hopefully those two moves remove ZAR and Simon. Still.. a RW is needed on L2. Not ERod. Not Carter. Not Heinen. And it doesn't need to be Boeser. It doesn't need to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. Max Talbot circa 2009. That would work even. I just want someone with a pulse.

Reactions: Andy P

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't see the reasoning in LD swaps.

it’s assuming the Pens want to get out of Petts contract beyond this season…Leddy is a UFA…he’s also probably the better D man right now…you improve LD for the PO run and then you get an overpaid LD contract off the books for next season

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Ok boys maybe I’ve had a couple too many but I still to this day have no clue how a GM in the NHL works. With Hextall in an absolute no brainer decision to shop for a top 6 scoring forward… how has a deal not been done by now? Pittsburgh as a group are in a great spot to not only make the playoffs but to compete in the east for a chance to make it to the finals. When looking up and down their lineup there are questions marks at the middle 6 RW position, bottom pairing RD, and backup goaltender. There is a clear need for one position and that is the scoring forward. You include a 1st, Kapanen, plus a prospect like Negare and you get your guy! You can’t tell me a team wouldn’t make a move for something like that regardless if he’s a rental or not. Hextall needs to stop worrying about the damn present and realize the time to win is still now and for at least the next 3 years.
Negotiating tactics.

When you're buying, you slow play the discussions, maybe have a framework of a deal but not the final details, in the hopes to drive the price down.

Reactions: Andy P

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
More seriously, Leddy for Pettersson would be beautiful if somewhat of a downer in terms of creating cap space to bring in a forward.

None of those guys have a shot that Neal has. Even putting him on the 4th line with Teddy and McGinn could be seen as a positive.

Judging from the numbers alone, I'm not sure Neal still has that shot either, or the legs to get to somewhere to use it. Still, the numbers could be misleading.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
it’s assuming the Pens want to get out of Petts contract beyond this season…Leddy is a UFA…he’s also probably the better D man right now…you improve LD for the PO run and then you get an overpaid LD contract off the books for next season
The team can't keep squandering assets in this way. If they got some kind of future, sure.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The team can't keep squandering assets in this way. If they got some kind of future, sure.
The “future” would be cap space this summer to sign our UFAs or other UFAs…if you can move it now without hurting your team, you do it…they were reportedly trying to move Petts last summer without much luck…if they wait, it might take them spending an additional asset to move his cap out

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Negotiating tactics.

When you're buying, you slow play the discussions, maybe have a framework of a deal but not the final details, in the hopes to drive the price down.
I think all of us are just ready for it to happen! Lol we want the piece now!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Asset prices for guys like Pettersson are still so weird and at times punitive that I don't even know if he even is an asset at this point, and would be on one level relieved to hear he'd been traded for nothing but all the cap space back, nevermind a good rental.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
I mean.. yes. Kap has been trying to figure it out since preseason ended. It's NOT going to work with him. I have no doubt he can still be a solid player. It's just not going to be here. "We can keep Kap and hope he gets hot for a month or two." ITS NOT HAPPENING HERE. I've never seen a guy fumble such easy passes. He has a noodle stick. He doesn't backcheck. He doesn't compete. What's the plan exactly? Hope and pray Sid's line scores 95% of the goals? IF we get healthy, things fall into place. Zuck takes over L2 LW. McGinn locks in a spot. Hopefully those two moves remove ZAR and Simon. Still.. a RW is needed on L2. Not ERod. Not Carter. Not Heinen. And it doesn't need to be Boeser. It doesn't need to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. Max Talbot circa 2009. That would work even. I just want someone with a pulse.
100% agree Jim Rutherford saw something in him that clearly doesn’t work and there needs to be a change you HAVE to include him on any deal moving and hope the new piece works out with Malkin

Reactions: wheelz87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Why should a deal be done by now? We've still got two days, getting a guy and getting a guy on the deadline itself makes no odds by now. It's not like the delay has resulted in any of the major RW positions going off the board (bar Toffoli a lot earlier I guess). If Hextall isn't happy with the deals on the table right now, he might as well use the time he's got.

As for what might change to take a deal from "not happy" to "happy" it's possibly waiting for a team to make up their mind on the price for a prime target (i.e. Vancouver with Boeser/Garland), and probably trying to find a team that values Kapanen (or Pettersson) as we want.

Reactions: tom_servo

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Why should a deal be done by now? We've still got two days, getting a guy and getting a guy on the deadline itself makes no odds by now. It's not like the delay has resulted in any of the major RW positions going off the board (bar Toffoli a lot earlier I guess). If Hextall isn't happy with the deals on the table right now, he might as well use the time he's got.

As for what might change to take a deal from "not happy" to "happy" it's possibly waiting for a team to make up their mind on the price for a prime target (i.e. Vancouver with Boeser/Garland), and probably trying to find a team that values Kapanen (or Pettersson) as we want.
Taffoli has done a lot for Calgary since joining the team.. almost a point per game.. hence waiting for the deadline, why wait for that when you can improve your team now? Again, Hextalls window to win is now not in 4-5 years and it ensures no one else gets “your guy”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Leddy offers basically nothing this team needs more of, seeing how he's not phyiscal, doesn't kill penalties and plays a position of surplus. But with that being said, I think swapping him for Pettersson makes sense from a contract POV, and it's not like Pettersson is filling any needs for this team right now.

Trading Pettersson for Leddy would basically be swapping one guy who isn't needed for another guy who isn't needed, but you're at least saving money after this year. That is also why the Penguins would presumably have to add, you're probably throwing a 2nd or 3rd rounder or so on top of Pettersson to do that. But with that being said, I'd still do that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Taffoli has done a lot for Calgary since joining the team.. almost a point per game.. hence waiting for the deadline, why wait for that when you can improve your team now? Again, Hextalls window to win is now not in 4-5 years and it ensures no one else gets “your guy”

Because it made more sense to see if guys came good rather than pay a premium to change them out for the same level of guy, only with different fit/form. Hasn't worked out but it was still the obvious call and for all we know, we get a better deal at this point anyway.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
maybe so but i would still take him over erod or heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA