Salary Cap: Penguins Trade Deadline Thread #66: We need more trade deadline snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I hate mobile even though I'm on it right now. I prefer desktop all the time
I must be in a weird minority that doesn't own a desktop and rarely use laptop. Now that I think of it though tons of people probably have/use them often for work. I'll see myself out

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't even really want Garland anyway, and if someone outbids us for him (tough task /s), all the better.

Yeah, it'll suck to stand pat and go into the playoffs with essentially what we have now. I'd rather that than pay a premium to add to our dragon's hoard of smallish, do everything well but nothing exceptional, 40-50pt middle-6 wingers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I think $2.55 million for a massive RHD is workable for a lot of teams.

Myers is the guy that was the centerpiece for Ellis last off-season, after all.

I'm not sure that's accurate given the deal also contained Patrick/Glass, who even when struggling come with big pedigree, and that for most places' reaction the centrepiece was "but why" in that the return seemed very underwhelming for Ellis.

But even if true, you've pointed out multiple times in regards to our own assets that it doesn't take very long to trash player value. Why would it be any different for Myers?

One minor wrinkle I'd add is that next year he makes 3.8m in real money, which means a rebuilding team would have to consider unnecessary real dollar expenditure and a painful QO if he did well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A bit off topic, but did Maatta ever play RD here? I don't think he did, or maybe I just don't recall.

Don't think so. Two main times I recall him playing with another leftie, it was the other leftie (JJ and Riikola) that moved over.

More deals the more bodies moved out. Neal just became added depth, and nobody is going to claim him and you only gave up a pick.

This side has a surfeit of forward depth and not many picks as is. It'd be a pointless and slightly deleterious move if that's what it ended up as, which seems quite likely. Although it's the time that'd be spent roadtesting it that'd be the main cost. If his likelihood of success is "ehhh it probably won't hurt us" we're better giving the time to just about anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I'm pretty they all have back then due to injuries, but I don't think for anything more than a game here or there being forced into it.
He was on the right wall when Wilson tripped him going uncalled allowing Wilson to go on a breakaway where he scored a big goal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't think so. Two main times I recall him playing with another leftie, it was the other leftie (JJ and Riikola) that moved over.

This side has a surfeit of forward depth and not many picks as is. It'd be a pointless and slightly deleterious move if that's what it ended up as, which seems quite likely. Although it's the time that'd be spent roadtesting it that'd be the main cost. If his likelihood of success is "ehhh it probably won't hurt us" we're better giving the time to just about anyone else.
That pick would be a meaningless late pick. We're talking a 6th/7th here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That pick would be a meaningless late pick. We're talking a 6th/7th here.

Even the off chance of getting a hit there matters to an org as prospect poor as this one.

But as said, that's not the main point. The main point is why would we want to give time next to Geno to a guy who's currently on 2 5v5 points in 19 and hasn't shot at over 10% or scored at better than 1.5 p/60 in the last four seasons? It's a waste of time that can be used in trying out solutions that have a higher chance of working than wishes and pixiedust.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Even the off chance of getting a hit there matters to an org as prospect poor as this one.

But as said, that's not the main point. The main point is why would we want to give time next to Geno to a guy who's currently on 2 5v5 points in 19 and hasn't shot at over 10% or scored at better than 1.5 p/60 in the last four seasons? It's a waste of time that can be used in trying out solutions that have a higher chance of working than wishes and pixiedust.
I'm seeing it as purely a depth move. You are sending him down right away.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm seeing it as purely a depth move. You are sending him down right away.

Oh right fair enough. Still don't see the point when Zohorna and DOC are battling it out to be 15th choice forward here, but certainly a different discussion to what I thought you meant.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh right fair enough. Still don't see the point when Zohorna and DOC are battling it out to be 15th choice forward here, but certainly a different discussion to what I thought you meant.
None of those guys have a shot that Neal has. Even putting him on the 4th line with Teddy and McGinn could be seen as a positive.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Ok boys maybe I’ve had a couple too many but I still to this day have no clue how a GM in the NHL works. With Hextall in an absolute no brainer decision to shop for a top 6 scoring forward… how has a deal not been done by now? Pittsburgh as a group are in a great spot to not only make the playoffs but to compete in the east for a chance to make it to the finals. When looking up and down their lineup there are questions marks at the middle 6 RW position, bottom pairing RD, and backup goaltender. There is a clear need for one position and that is the scoring forward. You include a 1st, Kapanen, plus a prospect like Negare and you get your guy! You can’t tell me a team wouldn’t make a move for something like that regardless if he’s a rental or not. Hextall needs to stop worrying about the damn present and realize the time to win is still now and for at least the next 3 years.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I must be in a weird minority that doesn't own a desktop and rarely use laptop. Now that I think of it though tons of people probably have/use them often for work. I'll see myself out

I’m surprised you’re still posting here if you only post on mobile. HF is mobile cancer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Friedman keeps saying the Pens have an interest in Nick Leddy…I have no idea why unless Detroit is willing to retain 50% of his $5.5 mil and take Pettersson…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leddy only makes sense for the Penguins if it's a swap of Pettersson for Leddy.

He does make a bit of sense, considering they're probably not comfortable with either Pettersson or Friedman in a regular role, but it would have to be Pettersson for Leddy.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Petts for Leddy makes some sense for both sides IMO if the Wings retain enough to at least make it cap neutral.

I'd take Leddy over Petts for this year and then they can just let him walk after the season. Detroit gets an asset for beyond this year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Leddy only makes sense for the Penguins if it's a swap of Pettersson for Leddy.

He does make a bit of sense, considering they're probably not comfortable with either Pettersson or Friedman in a regular role, but it would have to be Pettersson for Leddy.
I don't see the reasoning in LD swaps.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The way Leddy makes the most sense is if we're finally going to move Matheson to wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad