Salary Cap: Penguins Trade Deadline Thread #66: We need more trade deadline snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wonder how long it will take Clarke to blame Hextall on that bad return for Giroux.
"If Hextall hadn't handed Giroux that NMC we'd have gotten a huge return!"

(I have no idea if Hextall was the GM that signed Giroux to his current deal, but neither does Bobby Clarke probably)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They’ll be buying paper bags for fans to put over their heads.

Like they care about their fans that much.

Also looking at the full trade and that seems bizarrely complex. Like why are Florida getting an extra pair of busting Flyers prospects as well?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Like they care about their fans that much.

Also looking at the full trade and that seems bizarrely complex. Like why are Florida getting an extra pair of busting Flyers prospects as well?
They gotta purge anything that reminds them of Hextall (let’s pretend he drafted those guys even if he didn’t)

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not a great return but we’re talking about a 30+ probably rental who commanded where he went.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's a pretty safe bet that this team won't end up doing anything at the deadline at this point. The team is just playing really damn well right now and don't appear to be slowing down. They're on pace for 111 points in a full season, which would be the most points they've had in a season since they had 111 points in 2016-2017. The pace they're at this year is basically identical to the pace they had last year when they won the division.

They shouldn't trade Kapanen now that he's looking like he's rounding back into form, so that leaves you pretty limited at forward. Maybe you can trade Pettersson and/or ZAR and use that money at forward, but I think that's easier said than done.

I think my ideal scenario is trade ZAR and trade for Rakell at 50%. It's cutting it absurdly tight, Rakell at 50% is about $1.9 million while ZAR is at $1.725 million. But I think you can make it work with a 22 man roster or throwing something like McGinn or Zucker on LTIR.

Edit: you're $47k over the cap with trading ZAR out and bringing Rakell in at 50% with a 23 man roster and Zucker healthy. You can either get another team to retain a bit more or just run with a 22 man roster to make it work.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My dream scenario would be wriggling free of Pettersson and using that money for Middleton and I guess Rakell or maybe a flyer on Kubalik on the cheap although I'm still kinda hoping Rutherford does something atomic (hoping against hope though). But I just don't think anyone is going to do us that favour right now.

Although, tbh, I wish they'd go full cynic and leave McGinn on LTIR for a long time (unless someone else gets injured). But oh well. If wishes were horses and all that.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
We should trade ZAR if we can. Except even if they could, we all know that they won't. We'll be fine running Big Z or DOC.

Maybe with the dust settling with the big chasing teams, there might be some better prices.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We should trade ZAR if we can. Except even if they could, we all know that they won't. We'll be fine running Big Z or DOC.

Maybe with the dust settling with the big chasing teams, there might be some better prices.

I think they could easily trade ZAR and I'm thinking it's becoming more and more likely with him not playing in the last 3 games.

"He's sick" just sounds like a cover. The team needs money to add elsewhere and ZAR is insanely replaceable on this team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Trading ZAR would be super easy and I think they'd do it, but it's got to get the player they want as a result and as he only opens up so much cap room, not sure it would. Guess there's always some cap laundering through a third team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad