Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nope, it’s more like players forcing the issue. Medical stuff would have no valid support to oppose other than their gut feelings or by association to other cases.

Well whatever it is, they've allowed it to happen. Saw it with Shattenkirk at the end of the season, Zucc this year.

I could be totally off base here, but it almost feels like they're trying to push him forward to "save" the season.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
According to Quinn, Buch approached him after the last practice to get some more coaching, so they stayed on the ice a bit longer. Also said he understands it'll take Buch some time to return to form after the injury, and that he's willing to let Buch work through some mistakes as long as he's not "playing lazy".

What an exciting change from AV

This x5!

Under AV, Buch only played 74 games last year.

And this was because of AV’s Russian bias that Russians play lazy, so he didn’t want to play Buch if it looked as if Buch were playing lazy.

Luckiky, we have Quinn who will play him as long as he isn’t playing lazy.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
This x5!

And this was because of AV’s Russian bias that Russians play lazy, so he didn’t want to play Buch if it looked as if Buch were playing lazy.

This really isn't accurate.

Buchnevich has already been in Quinn's doghouse. Say what you want about AV (and I'll probably agree), but Buchnevich has brought a lot of it on himself.

What I do like is how Quinn has praised Buchnevich when his play did show spark (pre-injury) and most recently singling out Buchnevich for taking Quinn aside during practice to discuss positioning. That's good stuff.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Buchnevich has already been in Quinn's doghouse. Say what you want about AV (and I'll probably agree), but Buchnevich has brought a lot of it on himself.

What I do like is how Quinn has praised Buchnevich when his play did show spark (pre-injury) and most recently singling out Buchnevich for taking Quinn aside during practice to discuss positioning. That's good stuff.

No shit. Read what I quoted too for context.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It's not really about praise or no praise. Quinn continuously communicated with Buch to explain what he did to earned him being a healthy scratch and what he needed to do to address it. AV did not communicate.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's not really about praise or no praise. Quinn continuously communicated with Buch to explain what he did to earned him being a healthy scratch and what he needed to do to address it. AV did not communicate.

And Buch is on record a couple of times as saying just this himself.

I'm not sure why Quinn's handling of Buch is being used as a defense of AV's handling of him; they couldn't be more different.

Reactions: kovazub94

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
And Buch is on record a couple of times as saying just this himself.

I'm not sure why Quinn's handling of Buch is being used as a defense of AV's handling of him; they couldn't be more different.
Nah dude, being a healthy scratch is as black & white as you can get. Clearly means you're punishing the player and hate them. ;) :sarcasm:

Reactions: Harbour Dog

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Difference between ‘we got some good looks tonight’ AV and Quinn regarding Buch is it seems Quinn has been clear in the message. You don’t play balls to the wall, you don’t play. Period. Doesn’t matter who you are and your standing with the team. ‘Trust the pr-o-cess’ AV had a few guys he would use to illustrate as an example, despite many other veterans also warranting a benching due to lack of effort, so the message gets lost and the benched players just get resentful. Buch came back from the Quinn scratch reinvigorated, he seemed to understand what was expected from him, and before his injury he really seemed to be putting it together in the style Quinn wants and won a few Stars as well.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Sarcastic responses quoting other sarcastic responses...with serious responses missing the sarcasm quoting said sarcastic responses, and sarcastic posters quoting said oblivious serious posters....my head is spinning in this thread lol

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Something I was thinking about the other day--Buch seems more hesitant to shoot the puck this year (particularly compared to last year). Most of the regulars who were on the team last year (Zib, Hayes, Kreids, Fast, Vesey) are on pace for the same or more SOG as last year. Buch and Zucc are WAY down compared to last season's pace. How much of their issues are connected to not shooting enough?

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Buchnevich is Burakovsky, and Finkle is Einhorn. He should never be on a Top 6 role but with the Rangers lack of quality forwards, it is going to happen. I have differing opinions on him because I don’t think he is anything special.

Reactions: JHS

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You know what I miss about Avery? Getting p***ycats like Buch playing with an edge. Same goes for Zbad.

Both those guys play so much better when there’s fire running through their veins.

Maybe they should both be caged and poked with prongs before every game....?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Any talk of an early 20’s player and playing “lazy” should raise red flags. If Buch is not hungry in his early 20’s imagine what it will be like 5-10 years from now. NHL coaches won’t tolerate lazy play but if the player has that streak or propensity, he’s got to go. No one ever gets better by being lazy and working less hard.

Buch is not good enough to play lazy. Rangers can’t have a culture where players who play lazy are tolerated!

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This x5!

You need your tongue surgically removed from your cheek. ;)

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Buch looked like he needed to get stronger when he got here, I dont think that happened. I'd like to see him get a stretch with kreider and Zibanajad to see if he can still play in that role.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This guy still on the team? Not a bad player or anything but he has been underwhelming and...weird, since day one.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I never felt Buch played lazy.... He's just not great at holding on to the puck, which can be perceived as laziness since a consequence is you don't notice him much. If he wants to stay in this league long-term he'll need to get strong enough to battle along the boards and ultimately come away with the puck more often than not. Kreider, Fast and Zib have become pros at it... maybe Buch can take a few notes

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Any talk of an early 20’s player and playing “lazy” should raise red flags. If Buch is not hungry in his early 20’s imagine what it will be like 5-10 years from now. NHL coaches won’t tolerate lazy play but if the player has that streak or propensity, he’s got to go. No one ever gets better by being lazy and working less hard.

Buch is not good enough to play lazy. Rangers can’t have a culture where players who play lazy are tolerated!
The lazy thing is just dumb unconscious Russian bias.. Ppl look at Buch to confirm the bias. Instead of just seeing that the opportunities were limited on a certain night they say he didn’t push the pace. Seriously when was the last time anyone on our team forced the issue. We have a team full of “take what the defense gives you” guys

Reactions: Kupo

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Was at the game yesterday. Thought he looked pretty good, all things considered. Probably not a top liner at this point unless something clicks, but really shouldn't be on the 4th line stapled to McLeod

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The lazy thing is just dumb unconscious Russian bias.. Ppl look at Buch to confirm the bias. Instead of just seeing that the opportunities were limited on a certain night they say he didn’t push the pace. Seriously when was the last time anyone on our team forced the issue. We have a team full of “take what the defense gives you” guys

So true. Unfortunately that also speaks to the overall skill level of the team... much easier to get frustrated and stop pushing the pace when it works maybe once for each ten times you try it. More skilled teams consistently find creative ways to break through defensive walls. Our approach is to continuously smash it until it breaks down (and many times it doesn't)

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Laziness is not what is holding Buch back. It's physical limitations, like the fact that he's an average at best skater who falls down if there's a slight breeze. He hasn't improved on those things so the rest of his game has suffered. I'd still prefer he didn't play on a line with f***ing McLeod but he still could show more.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This guy still on the team? Not a bad player or anything but he has been underwhelming and...weird, since day one.

You nailed it. Weird guy. Always looks like he’s secs from tears. I want him gone. Have never liked him or his shit attitude. Came to the nhl having never spent a second in the gym according to our staff. Doesn’t look like he’s done anything to improve that. He is a lazy player. Not a lazy Russian. He’s a lazy PLAYER. I hope we ship him off at the deadline.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Quinn largely rules by meritocracy. That's great for a young team. We know that it's a tough game, and we know we're not as talented as the league leaders, so it's also unreasonable to perform like they do. But there is no reason for our guys to not be held accountable for their mistakes and efforts. Made a bad play? Understand your mistake and don't do it again. Impressed me in practice? Let's give you a shot on the ice. Just show me that you belong here.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get a few superstars in the coming years, by which point the young guys will have developed to their potential, thanks to the strong ethic that their coach instilled -- and then that competitive culture will seep into the new draftees. It's the right approach.

... At least in theory.

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad