Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Laziness is not what is holding Buch back. It's physical limitations, like the fact that he's an average at best skater who falls down if there's a slight breeze. He hasn't improved on those things so the rest of his game has suffered. I'd still prefer he didn't play on a line with ****ing McLeod but he still could show more.

There is a lot of truth to this.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You nailed it. Weird guy. Always looks like he’s secs from tears. I want him gone. Have never liked him or his **** attitude. Came to the nhl having never spent a second in the gym according to our staff. Doesn’t look like he’s done anything to improve that. He is a lazy player. Not a lazy Russian. He’s a lazy PLAYER. I hope we ship him off at the deadline.

He's always looked weak to me. Deadlifts, rows, battle ropes and cleans would be a good start for him. In other words: he's just physically weak.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I don't just think it's just physical limitations holding him back,I also think it's a lack of drive/hunger/compete level that's missing.You see a guy with half the talent of Buch in Fast busting his ass every shift/game..trying to be a difference maker.With Buch half the time you forget if he's even playing or in the lineup.I think that holds him back as much,or even more,as anything else.

Reactions: Kovalev27 and JHS

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I hate to say it because I like Buch and had high hopes for him, but it kind of seems like he's just not going to take that next step.

The complaints about him not getting stronger and not being passionate enough ring more true with time. The game is more agility and speed than brute strength now - look at Kreider losing bulk and becoming more effective. But the thing with Buch is that his being weak on the puck is an observable problem in his game that doesn't get addressed.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The lazy thing is just dumb unconscious Russian bias.. Ppl look at Buch to confirm the bias. Instead of just seeing that the opportunities were limited on a certain night they say he didn’t push the pace. Seriously when was the last time anyone on our team forced the issue. We have a team full of “take what the defense gives you” guys

He could be from any country and I'd call him lazy. It just so happens that a lot of lazy hockey players come from Russia that you accuse bias. I routinely point out the underperformance of this entire young group! On that, I agree with you. My point is, I don't really want Buch contributing to the culture in a negative way. Essentially, having more lazy players does not help the problem with having lazy players! No one pushes anyone to work harder an a culture on complacency sets in!

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's been basically terrible since cl.img back from the injury...which sucks because before he got hurt he was kicking it into a new gear...when the injury happened o aaod it was a devastating knjury for his development...this is why...he was just startign to get it, and now, well, this is what you have. Let's see how next year goes I guess.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He’s having a slump playing on an awful team, his production has been very good aside from this. 40pt pace rookie season & 48pt pace sophomore season. If you look at his analytics he’s had horrible luck this season, I think it’s way too early to write him off. He has very high hockey IQ, incredible playmaking ability & great shot. He will be a very solid #2 RW behind Kravtsov.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If we didn’t want to pay JT Miller we sure as **** won’t be paying this guy.

The Rangers didn’t want to pay Miller $5 million + per for multiple years. Buchnevich hasn’t earned that type of discussion. Then again, they also gave Skjei that kind of money. And Miller wasn’t so much about on ice production.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I think Martin May have woke Buch up last night...."No take a run at a guy that is a truck"

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think Martin May have woke Buch up last night...."No take a run at a guy that is a truck"
That was the funniest part of the game last night.

Buch taking the hit from Martin, being mad about it, goes to knock Martin down but instead gets knocked down AGAIN, and then Martin stands over him like "who's your daddy?"

Reactions: Winston2018

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He's been basically terrible since cl.img back from the injury...which sucks because before he got hurt he was kicking it into a new gear...when the injury happened o aaod it was a devastating knjury for his development...this is why...he was just startign to get it, and now, well, this is what you have. Let's see how next year goes I guess.

He has not been "terrible". I agree he hasn't gotten back to his earlier form, but he's still produced at a respectable clip and hasn't been a liability defensively. He needs to start shooting more

Some people forget that he hasn't even played a full two seasons worth of games yet. Absolutely no reason to give up on him now

Reactions: haveandare

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Definitely not giving up on him yet but he doesn't get a pass for his no shows, I understand that he was injured, but he's got to be better than what he's been.

Winston2018

Winston The Maltipoo
Feb 5, 2018
NNJ
I guess there is no rush because we will need warm bodies after the TDL. My timetable would be this time next year assuming he plays the next 80 games. All these young players need to work on there weaknesses over the summer and the Rangers need to implement individual programs specific to there deficiency's. Lias skating,Buch fitness, Filip shooting etc...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Honestly, Buch reminds me a lot of Petr Prucha and I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same career trajectory.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He’s having a slump playing on an awful team, his production has been very good aside from this. 40pt pace rookie season & 48pt pace sophomore season. If you look at his analytics he’s had horrible luck this season, I think it’s way too early to write him off. He has very high hockey IQ, incredible playmaking ability & great shot. He will be a very solid #2 RW behind Kravtsov.
I think that praise is overly-effusive. If you wrote those statements and asked me what young RW you were talking about, I'd guess someone elite like Rantanen, Marner, Pastrnak or Driasaitl. Especially the "incredible" playmaking ability. I mean I wouldn't describe any aspect of this guy's game as incredible. And the "very high" hockey IQ is also debatable. He's pretty smart out there, but that's as far as I'd take it.

I honestly feel that the strength and the motor are what is most lacking. And with regards to the motor, it's not me stereotyping him. When he was in the KHL the dude was ferocious, just flying around out there. I remember watching him and being really impressed how hard he played and the way he got back on defense, routinely making good plays in the defensive corners and just generally working his ass off.

I thought maybe, maybe the kid is just uncomfortable or lacking in confidence. And then came the reports of him having a difficult time, apparently, with AV. But he looks like exactly the same guy this year as he did last year. Literally. Carbon copy.

What he is, even if he never improved, is still valuable. But with his skills, which are pretty solid across the board, he should be more. And I feel like that missing motor I referenced--which I KNOW is there--is the biggest culprit. As well as being on the weaker side.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There is a lot of truth to this.

I never bought the narrative of laziness and a guy just 'not wanting it'. As if, someone who could absolutely be an impact NHL player but they almost 'just don't want to?'. Like is that the implication?

Being a standout and consistent player in the best league in the world is f***in hard man. Most guys work their whole lives and never get a cup of coffee at this level....

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I don't just think it's just physical limitations holding him back,I also think it's a lack of drive/hunger/compete level that's missing.You see a guy with half the talent of Buch in Fast busting his ass every shift/game..trying to be a difference maker.With Buch half the time you forget if he's even playing or in the lineup.I think that holds him back as much,or even more,as anything else.

In fairness, you can say that for the vast majority of skaters on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad